Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Whispersync, Overdrive, and KLL question

I don't know if this is the best forum for this question, but since this question starts with the Kindle library I thought I'd take a shot. If you keep up at all with the Deals forum you may know of my obsession with audiobooks and deals. Thanks to a recent post in the audiobook deals thread (about here), we got into a discussion about what made you eligable for a Whsipersync-discounted audiobook. I know if you buy the book you can get the audiobook discount. I just had my first experience with borrowing a book from the library (through Overdrive) and being eligable for the Whispersync discount.

It was mentioned that you can also be eligable for the discount if you borrow a book through the Kindle Lending Library if you are an Amazon Prime member. I borrowed my first book throught the KLL just this week, but I do not see where it has made me eligable for the Whispersync discount. I was wondering if anyone here had experience going this route to get the Whispersync audiobook? If so have you tried it recently? I'm trying to determine if I am doing something wrong or if Amazon has changed its policy / closed a loophole here.

Thanks,
skinmaan
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
I borrowed my first book throught the KLL just this week, but I do not see where it has made me eligable for the Whispersync discount.
Are you sure there is an audible equivalent? What is the book?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Are you sure there is an audible equivalent? What is the book?
I used the KLL to get "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games #3). I have it on my Kindle Keyboard as I type. I even flipped through a few pages. I don't know if this matters, but I did borrow the book through my Kindle. That's the only way I knew how, so if it could be done through the website I didn't know how.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I used the KLL to get "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games #3). I have it on my Kindle Keyboard as I type. I even flipped through a few pages. I don't know if this matters, but I did borrow the book through my Kindle. That's the only way I knew how, so if it could be done through the website I didn't know how.
You must borrow KLL titles from your Kindle. The website will only let you purchase. But then you have to go to your Manage Your Kindle web page to return it so that you are eligible to borrow again in the next month.

You have to purchase the book to be eligible for the Audible discount. Most of the KLL titles are pretty inexpensive to begin with so it is still a good deal.

I would think it is the same with library/overdrive titles so I was surprised that your experience was different. I'll have to try that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You must borrow KLL titles from your Kindle. The website will only let you purchase. But then you have to go to your Manage Your Kindle web page to return it so that you are eligible to borrow again in the next month.

You have to purchase the book to be eligible for the Audible discount. Most of the KLL titles are pretty inexpensive to begin with so it is still a good deal.

I would think it is the same with library/overdrive titles so I was surprised that your experience was different. I'll have to try that.
I would have thought the same as you until some of the guys and gals over in the deals forum told me you could be eligable for Whispersync by borrowing. They mentioned specifically that they got the Whsipersync discount via a KLL title. I suppose I will need to PM them to see how that worked...
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
All keep in mind when you borrow the book from the kindle lending library and then return it, it disappears from your Manage Your Kindle so you lose the Whsipersync feature because you will then only own the audiobook version. If you are only interested in it just to get the audible version, then no big deal. One thing I really like about borrowing the whispersync eligible book from an Overdrive library is once you return it, it remains in your library. So even if you do not buy the audible version when you have the book checked out, you will still get the whispersync price.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I would have thought the same as you until some of the guys and gals over in the deals forum told me you could be eligable for Whispersync by borrowing. They mentioned specifically that they got the Whsipersync discount via a KLL title. I suppose I will need to PM them to see how that worked...
I think this has changed. I didn't have a title that I was in any rush to borrow this month, so I borrowed Mockingjay, and there isn't any way I've found to get the discounted audiobook version. No matter what I try, Audible wants $13.71. I guess they caught on.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I think this has changed. I didn't have a title that I was in any rush to borrow this month, so I borrowed Mockingjay, and there isn't any way I've found to get the discounted audiobook version. No matter what I try, Audible wants $13.71. I guess they caught on.
I just checked to see if the Hobbit I borrowed from a public library last Jan would still qualify me for Whispersync pricing - it does. So the Lending Library is out and the public library is still good.

Has anyone tried getting a Whispersync title by borrowing a Kindle book from other owners?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I just checked to see if the Hobbit I borrowed from a public library last Jan would still qualify me for Whispersync pricing - it does. So the Lending Library is out and the public library is still good.

Has anyone tried getting a Whispersync title by borrowing a Kindle book from other owners?
Yes, both Overdrive and Loan a Friend books are eligible for the whispersync discount. I have just checked with a book I borrowed from ebookfling.com and it says I am eligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
All keep in mind when you borrow the book from the kindle lending library and then return it, it disappears from your Manage Your Kindle so you lose the Whsipersync feature because you will then only own the audiobook version. If you are only interested in it just to get the audible version, then no big deal. One thing I really like about borrowing the whispersync eligible book from an Overdrive library is once you return it, it remains in your library. So even if you do not buy the audible version when you have the book checked out, you will still get the whispersync price.
I'm pretty sure last I checked, when I borrowed Lending Library books from a friend's account with Prime, so I cannot confirm, but I thought it showed the book even afterwards in MYK. I would assume so anyway, because the whole reason for keeping it in your library is so you still have your notes/bookmarks/last page read. Which is still applicable even if it was a Lending Library book. (Technically, it's left there for marketing purposes, but who wants reasons anyway?)

Can someone double-check this???
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yes, both Overdrive and Loan a Friend books are eligible for the whispersync discount. I have just checked with a book I borrowed from ebookfling.com and it says I am eligible.
Thank you very much for verifying it. Really appreciate it.

I don't have Prime, so the Lending Library is not an option for me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

I get the Whispersync price for WSV eligible books which I borrow from Lendle, The Philadelphia Library, The South Jersey Regional Library, and The Brooklyn Library, whether the book is currently loaned or previously loaned.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Are you sure you borrowed the Whispersync version, sometimes I've borrowed books from the library but they are not the whispersync version, the library may have an older version. Look at the product page from the link in Manage Your Library and see if it leads to the whispersynced version.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:

I'm pretty sure last I checked, when I borrowed Lending Library books from a friend's account with Prime, so I cannot confirm, but I thought it showed the book even afterwards in MYK. I would assume so anyway, because the whole reason for keeping it in your library is so you still have your notes/bookmarks/last page read. Which is still applicable even if it was a Lending Library book. (Technically, it's left there for marketing purposes, but who wants reasons anyway?)

Can someone double-check this???
I've double-checked my library and all previously borrowed books through Prime no longer show up on my MYK. I once asked CS about it and I was told that was the way it was set up to be. The Prime books are the only borrowed books that no longer show, which is quite annoying because not only do I want them around for the whispersync, but I want them around for the history, many times I do go buy books that I really liked and I want to own.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I've double-checked my library and all previously borrowed books through Prime no longer show up on my MYK. I once asked CS about it and I was told that was the way it was set up to be. The Prime books are the only borrowed books that no longer show, which is quite annoying because not only do I want them around for the whispersync, but I want them around for the history, many times I do go buy books that I really liked and I want to own.
Then they've made a really bad call there.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Then they've made a really bad call there.
I agree, though I wish they would separate your library books from your Amazon books , or at least allow you to search based on borrowed books. But I would give that up if they would let the Prime books stay in your library. Though I am not gonna complain too much because they do give the Whispersync price even though you no longer have the ebook in your possession.