Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Sorry, what the difference? There is reset (just rebooting the device) and factory reset, which mean reset to the factory state. I did the second one. What do you mean saying ‘factory restore’?
He means connect the kindle to a computer. Put DO_FACTORY_RESTORE on the top line. Disconnect the kindle. Let it restore.

That erases anything and everything the user has ever done.
The factory reset in the menu erases nearly everything.
In Kindle speak they are two different things.

It is called tech stuff for those that only speak baby Geek.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #17
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Ah, got it, thanks!
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
He means connect the kindle to a computer. Put DO_FACTORY_RESTORE on the top line. Disconnect the kindle. Let it restore.

That erases anything and everything the user has ever done.
The factory reset in the menu erases nearly everything.
In Kindle speak they are two different things.

It is called tech stuff for those that only speak baby Geek.
Quote:
Ah, got it, thanks!
There at least four different "reset/restore/??/??" things in the firmware.
Two of them are still a mystery.
But the "restore" one is the really big stick.
The "reset" one is just a firm poke with a small, sharp, stick.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #19
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

That's a lot. You know, last my Kindle was Kindle DX, long time ago. I used to have Kobo all the time, and now I don't know all that tricks with latest Kindles.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's a lot. You know, last my Kindle was Kindle DX, long time ago. I used to have Kobo all the time, and now I don't know all that tricks with latest Kindles.
Can I ask you to check something for me?
What firmware is your kindle on?
There may or may not be many tricks.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #21
hel
Sorceress

It is 5.8.10.
I saved all my books locally and then did a factory restore... and now I have that Special Offers (surprise).
Old 09-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Thanks. It doesn't have any tricks at the moment.
Appreciate the response.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
It is 5.8.10.
I saved all my books locally and then did a factory restore... and now I have that Special Offers (surprise).
Next, contact Amazon Customer Service and ask them to remove the Special Offers.
(They have to do it, the local SO setting on your Kindle is just a copy from their system.)
The facts they need to know:
Your address (I.E: you are not in a country where S.O. is offered).
You purchased the device: "Refurbished, like New".
Once that is done, then after the next time the Kindle connects to the Internet, Amazon's system will remove the S.O. stuff from it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oasis, special offers, troubleshooting