Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
baron164
baron164 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Question How do I update Calibre in Ubuntu?

I setup Calibre Server to run on an Ubuntu 16x server. I installed Calibre using this command:

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ko...x-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"

My question is, since I did not use the apt-get process of installing Calibre, how do I go about updating Calibre when new versions come out? I'm assuming I do not simply re-run the same command and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
baron164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron164 View Post
My question is, since I did not use the apt-get process of installing Calibre, how do I go about updating Calibre when new versions come out? I'm assuming I do not simply re-run the same command and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I'm actually thinking that you do. The .py file would be updated from git, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You simply re-run the same command.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
baron164

Ok, thank you. I wasn't sure and didn't want to risk overwriting everything I had already done.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Installation/un-installation touches only program files, never data files.
Advert
Old 06-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
baron164

I ran the same wget command again and it appeared to update but I ran into a couple of issues.

The first issue was that it removed the calibre.log file from /opt/calibre so I had to recreate it and then assign it permissions.

The second issue and the one I haven't been able to fix is now when I try to access the site I get this message.

Failed to load books from calibre library, with error:
Failed to communicate with "/interface-data/books-init?library_id=calibre-library&sort=timestamp.desc&1528739880411", with status: [500] Internal Server Error

Not sure what went wrong.

*Update

I restored my backup and then check the /opt/calibre directory before the update and and after and saw that both the calibre.log and server-users.sqlite files were missing after the update. I ran the update again and this time after it finished I copied the log and sqlite files back over and this time the site appears to be working properly.

I moved the calibre.log and server-users.sqlite files out of the /opt/calibre directory so that next time I run the command I won't need to worry about these two files. Should also make automating the update much easier.

Last edited by baron164; 06-11-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Why are you creating calibre.log and the sqlite file in the installation directory? The only way that can happen is if you have set the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY environment variable to the installation directory. Dont do that.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
baron164

The guide I was following for the install had me create them in the directory. As this is my first time with the Linux version of Calibre I just didn't know any better. But now I do and I certainly won't do that again :-)

Last edited by baron164; 06-12-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah, well in that case, welcome to Linux

Tags
calibre-server, ubuntu 16.04, update