Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Nearly one-in-five Americans now listen to audiobooks (3/8/2018; Pew Research Center)

FYI...

"Nearly one-in-five Americans now listen to audiobooks"
By Andrew Perrin (March 8, 2018)
Pew Research Center

Excerpt:
Quote:
Americans are spreading their book consumption across several formats, and the use of audiobooks is rising.

About three-quarters (74%) of Americans have read a book in the past 12 months in any format, a figure that has remained largely unchanged since 2012, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted in January. Print books remain the most popular format for reading, with 67% of Americans having read a print book in the past year.

And while shares of print and e-book readers are similar to those from a survey conducted in 2016, there has been a modest but statistically significant increase in the share of Americans who read audiobooks, from 14% to 18%.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Looking at the data, it would be impossible for a college student to say they only read digital because their textbooks are usually print. So did they ask if these were books for pleasure or just any book?

Last edited by Tarana; 03-09-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Thanks for posting this. I was hoping there was a new report on American reading habits.

Unfortunately, according to the data, Americans are not reading more despite the newer formats.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Deleted

Last edited by Froide; 03-09-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
Froide
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Thanks for posting this. I was hoping there was a new report on American reading habits.

Unfortunately, according to the data, Americans are not reading more despite the newer formats.
Glad to be of service.

Indeed (sigh). In contrast, Americans are increasingly "interacting with social media", especially Facebook.
Advert
Old 03-10-2018, 02:47 AM   #6
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Who has time to read when there are so many videos on YouTube and Twitch to consume? /s
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
At first I thought audio books were lame till I tried it and now I am addicted. Its a great way to get threw a book faster. For instance I can listen to a few chapters while I work then read later. I am a slow reader so this way I can finish a book several days sooner. Its very good if the book is a hard read so if you get tired or bored you can switch over to the audible. I ca not afford it on all books I buy but I try to get one with the book here and there
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:01 AM   #8
Froide
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I ca not afford it on all books I buy but I try to get one with the book here and there
Do you ever increase your audiobook options by checking them out from your public library (using Axis360, CloudLibrary, OverDrive, or some other digital lending platform)?
Old 03-16-2018, 02:42 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I've got one Audio book, the Dean Koontz "promotional" one that they gave away free (something like "Flash Joe" -- I don't have my Kindle in front of me). I haven't listened to it yet (since I read the book, I probably won't). I don't know why, but the idea of listening to a book doesn't appeal to me, although I have sister-in-law who loves to listen to books. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but they seem awfully expensive to me.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:27 PM   #10
Froide
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've got one Audio book, the Dean Koontz "promotional" one that they gave away free (something like "Flash Joe" -- I don't have my Kindle in front of me). I haven't listened to it yet (since I read the book, I probably won't). I don't know why, but the idea of listening to a book doesn't appeal to me, although I have sister-in-law who loves to listen to books. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but they seem awfully expensive to me.
I prefer reading, too, but occasionally listen to audiobooks or dramatic readings. Yes, indeed: many audiobooks are pricey to buy (in some cases, with good reason, since they introduce an entire additional "ecosystem" whose profit targets must be met). However, Mobileread offers several resources for finding free or discounted audiobooks (as well as dramatic performances and podcasts):
Quote:
This page lists places where you can borrow modern and classic time-limited ebooks and audiobooks free of charge, or for a periodic fee. Be sure to check your local library's website too: if they have ebooks or audiobooks available, they may be your best source. You may also be interested in E-book stores, where you can purchase books and find some for free; and our page about Free eBooks.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #11
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Glad to be of service.

Indeed (sigh). In contrast, Americans are increasingly "interacting with social media", especially Facebook.

Not this American! I do my bit to make up for the rest of 'em! 😜 I hate Facebook, I don't do much YouTube video watching, and I hardly watch any TV. (Winter Olympics was an exception, but often I go for weeks without turning it on.)

I just read. And not audiobooks either ... takes longer to listen than it does to read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #12
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Ditto on hating or maybe strongly disliking Facebook. I have been steadily subscribing to audible fo over 20 years. Kind of my addiction. Our library also has a pretty good supply of audio books on tape that can be converted to mp3 for my sansa clip. Great for making my daily walks more enjoyable!
Kaysclie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #13
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Do you ever increase your audiobook options by checking them out from your public library (using Axis360, CloudLibrary, OverDrive, or some other digital lending platform)?
I just started doing that. Didn’t you could borrow audiobooks on line like you can eBooks.

And instead of calling it Overdrive, they should call it Heroin because I quickly got addicted to it!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #14
Froide
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
I just started doing that. Didn’t you could borrow audiobooks on line like you can eBooks.

And instead of calling it Overdrive, they should call it Heroin because I quickly got addicted to it!
You got that right! My name is Froide, and I'm a digital books-borrowing addict.

Thanks to lending services such as OverDrive, Axis360, and 3M Cloud Library (not to mention professor's lending libraries such as VitalSource Bookshelf), I read far more borrowed digital books than I do books I own, even though I own numerous books and acquire more daily. I'll never finish my TBR list in my lifetime, and therefore so relate to poor Henry Bemis in Twilight Zone: "Time Enough At Last";

Last edited by Froide; 03-28-2018 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Fixed link.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I'll never finish my TBR list in my lifetime, and therefore so relate to poor Henry Bemis in Twilight Zone: "Time Enough At Last";
I love the ending to that episode, but criticize it for neglecting the fact that the entire area was contaminated with radiation and that radiation sickness would've eventually killed him. Stepping on his glasses was the least of his worries.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote