Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #121
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. Why does the title of this thread state that it's been "released", then? "Released" to me has the meaning that it's possible to buy it.
You can pre-order now on Amazon and B&H.
Shipping 20th June.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #122
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I agree. If you want an e-ink tablet, get an Onyx. Some people just want a pdf reader and annotator. But by your own statement, it would make sense to support .doc/x or perhaps .rtf. Can Word easily import .pdf? I imagine converting from .pdf will be hard. One might want to create documents on the Sony. Hmmm, maybe I'm missing the point.
According to Wikipedia, the .doc format is an open format, with some source code for certain features kept behind by Microsoft.

Perhaps they don't want to compromise on the final experience with less-than-perfect format integration? Only reason I can think of to exclude it.

Last edited by Dutchbook; 05-25-2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typos
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
About $800 for a PDF reader is a silly price.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #124
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It may be silly for you, but different people have different needs. I paid considerably more than that for my 12.9" iPad Pro, which I use exclusively as a PDF reader.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-25-2017 at 04:07 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #125
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
You can pre-order now on Amazon and B&H.
Shipping 20th June.
In other words it's being released on 20th June. It certainly wasn't released on 10th April, which is when this thread started!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #126
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
At the end of the day, it is a 13.3" e-ink reader, and they don't come cheap. The Onyx is also very expensive. At the current price-point, I suspect most people who buy these large devices have money to burn, so they don't care about the price. I've seen people with multiple large devices. Price is not a limit to them. These products are aimed at them.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #127
juegos
Connoisseur
juegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
I am hesitating between the DPT-RP1 and the reMarkable which is supposed to be released in August:

1. The DPT-RP1 is 13.3 inch whereas the reMarkable is 10.3 inch. Is 10.3 still good enough to read pdfs? Or only with cropped margins?

And if the margins are cropped, no more space to add notes? Also cropping margins will likely increase page turning time as new pages need to be adjusted as well.

2. What is your estimate of the speed of page turning and latency of writing on the DPT-RP1? The latency of reMarkable is said to be around 55ms but Sony doesn't provide such a number and I find it hard to judge the latency of the DPT-RP1 from the videos - but it seems fast.

3. The DPT-RP1 supports only .pdf whereas the reMarkable is said to support .epub as well (but not .drm however). What are your thoughts on this? I would like to read some ebooks on my e-ink device as well. Should I in that case wait for the Onyx Note 10.3 where I can install apps like Kindle?

Last edited by juegos; 05-25-2017 at 04:02 PM.
juegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #128
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
At the end of the day, it is a 13.3" e-ink reader, and they don't come cheap. The Onyx is also very expensive. At the current price-point, I suspect most people who buy these large devices have money to burn, so they don't care about the price. I've seen people with multiple large devices. Price is not a limit to them. These products are aimed at them.
I'm not a wealthy person, but I'd buy this device instead of an iPhone 8...

Last edited by viceant; 05-25-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: correct
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #129
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But there's no reason not to do more than just handle PDF. I know the Onyx Boox Max Carta is not cheap, but it is a much better value.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #130
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
But there's no reason not to do more than just handle PDF. I know the Onyx Boox Max Carta is not cheap, but it is a much better value.
The Sony delivers a more flawless PDF reader and notation experience. That simple. For some, that is what they want.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #131
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
i would love for the sony to support epub. i'm begging for it, in fact. but what ever the sony can do that the onyx can also do, sony blows the onyx out of the water. that's why some people are willing to pay for such a limited-functioning device. it simply does whatever it does in a way that no one else can match. i no longer have an onyx boox, but when i did, writing on it was horrible compared to the sony dpt-s1. with it's higher/better specs, the dpt-rp1 will most likely do much better.

Last edited by rem736; 05-25-2017 at 06:26 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:56 PM   #132
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
$699 for premium device which can read PDF, note taking and life saver if you need to carry tonnes of documents. With unparalleled security if you have sensitive documents.

Compared to $900 device running on Android 4.0 which can't run any of current apps. Hope people are enjoying reading epubs on 13.3" reader...

We should start survey what actually 13.3" readers are being used for.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:51 PM   #133
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Quote:
The Sony delivers a more flawless PDF reader and notation experience. That simple. For some, that is what they want.
This.

I'm a law student and my hobby is deciphering old soviet military documents. For those things this device is a life saver.

1) It will allow me to drop kg's of law bundles during my 55km bike trip on a daily basis

2) I can finally get rid of ridiculous stacks of old notes, where I need to reserve an entire evening for just to find something in it.

3) I can take notes on print-outs and specific laws without actually printing out documents or ruining a perfectly fine bundle.

4) It will save me €30 a month on paper and printing costs alone

5) It will allow me to continue working when my eye-strain sets in

6) I can even continue working when I don't have a desk at my disposal.

7) I don't have to process my notes every night, since I can just make folders and subfolders on the device.

8) The note-taking on one side and pdf on the other side has been my wet dream for years. I cannot express in words how much I wanted such an option.

Sitting with a desktop PC for working, a laptop on the side for the document I need to see and a dictionary or law bundle shoveled somewhere on the desk and a filing folder for my
hand notes is just about the most unworkable situation you can come across.

With this device I can finally have a normal work space without books falling on the ground or my patience wearing thin.

Yes, it isn't a cheap device ($1100 including taxes and import charges) and the lack of a European launch (thus EU warranty) makes the Onyx Max Carta an attractive option as well. But my time saved with the DPT-RP1 on a daily basis as well as getting rid of my frustrations make it a tough decision.

I'm still some money short for it and I don't need it for september, so at least I have some time to make my decision.
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:52 AM   #134
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Lovely! Well I don't know if I would jump on selling my Boox Max to upgrade but definitely I will choose Sony over Max Carta.

DPT-RP1 looks exactly as I want it. The symbol annotation, where you can later search for the symbols put on the document is brilliant! It is much more effective way of bookmarking, very natural I'd say
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:45 AM   #135
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In other words it's being released on 20th June. It certainly wasn't released on 10th April, which is when this thread started!
It should probably have read announced, no all posters have English as their first language. Even if you can order it now I don't think it will ship before June 5 (Japan).

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 05-26-2017 at 02:51 AM.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote