Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
masp
Enthusiast
masp began at the beginning.

Device: ipad air
regexp search/replace not working as expected on individual authors in source field

Hi, I've been using the "search and replace" (bulk edit) dialog with no problems for, but suddenly hit an unexpected behaviour. I'm using "authors" as my search field, and (my custom, multiple-value field) "editors" as destination. I want to copy a subset of the authors in each book as editors. e.g.:

authors: jim (ed) & bob & bill (ed) => editors: bill & jim

I tried the following regexps:

(.+?) \(ed\)
^(.+?) \(ed\)$

but in every case I'm seeing *all* authors copied, e.g.:

authors: jim (ed) & bob & bill (ed) => editors: bill & bob & jim

I can't figure it out. Any ideas? Thanks! Mike
masp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
masp
Enthusiast

attached screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-05 at 12.36.31 PM.png
Views:	219
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	140823  
Old 08-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Code:
(.+?) \(ed\)
Matches twice:

Code:
jim (ed)
& bob & bill (ed)
Try using a character set that does NOT include the ampersand:
Code:
([^&]+?) \(ed\)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found http://www.regular-expressions.info to be a very helpful regex site, it taught me most of what I know.

I particularly appreciated their step-by-step guide through what the regex engine sees and does.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:30 AM   #5
masp
Enthusiast

Thanks! (I tried using [^&] but made no difference unfortunately.)

Actually my confusion stems not so much from the regexp syntax (I'm fairly familiar with that from my perl days) but because I was under the impression that when applying the regexp to a multi-value field (ie. an &-separated list of values, such as the "authors" field) the regexp would get applied to each individual value, rather to the whole string. In other words (pseudo-code), if field = "bob & jim (ed) & harry", then rather than this:

field.matches(regex)

it would be implemented more like this:

field.split("&").map { matches(regex) }

but that doesn't seem to be happening: did I misinterpret the docs?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:17 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

On second thought, I am not sure what I thought you were thinking. Also, that will teach me to make assumptions.

Experimented a bit, and it looks like replacements are applied to the original string, which is then passed to the destination field. Also, you're right -- each value is treated separately.

So what you really want is to delete the non-editors, which I believe requires a negative lookaround.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-07-2015 at 01:55 AM. Reason: reversed track, followed by rewording
Old 08-07-2015, 01:44 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Found it!

Search:
Code:
(^[^()]+?(?! \(ed\))$|\(ed\))
Replace: nothing. Don't replace with anything.

Strips out:
  • any value in the field that doesn't have the string "(ed)" -- blue section
  • the string "(ed)" -- red section

P.S. Sure is an ugly-looking regex.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-07-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
masp
Enthusiast

Aah! Thanks: I would never have figured that out!! Ugly but perfect in context
Old 08-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
BTW: if you want to process a set of multiple items such as authors or tags as one string instead of individual items then use "template" as the source, enter a template that gives you the string, and enter the destination field. The attachment shows an example combining two authors into one. (I don't know why someone would want to do that, but it makes a good example.)

This technique is also useful for combining values from several fields into one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	140873  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:33 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by masp View Post
Aah! Thanks: I would never have figured that out!! Ugly but perfect in context

My pleasure.

@chaley -- I took a stab at attempting some sort of template to solve the problem. Nothing jumped out at me, so I stuck with plain old field mode.

Even without split fields, you still have to modify the original string.

Tags
reg expressions, regex, search & replace