Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
korio
korio began at the beginning.

Device: none
What is the good choice?

Hi all. I'm an ebook addicted, and i've used since now my smartphone. It is a good one, 5.5', blulight filter, but i feel it is very weary for my eyes. Also, i need for some studies to have a bigger one, for read pdf, and because.. coff coff.. after 40ties we need bigger..
I've tried ebook readers in my past (i was registered here), and i want to retry.

Ideal ereader for me is:
1- 8' or more for pdf
2- fast
3- waterproof
4- wifi
5- under €100... (oh well, i tried)

Any hints?
korio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Is it absolutely necessary for you to read PDFs? These render badly on most ereaders except for the larger, more expensive models. You're also limiting your choice by wanting waterproofing.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
patrik
Addict
patrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook InkPad 3
An used Kobo Aura One (with Koreader) is probably closest. Pocketbook Inkpad 3 may be another good choice, albeit not waterproof.

But I would forget reading pdfs on any ereader... unless they are really "clean" (mostly text, few images/tables). IMHO of course.

If you have just some, and not very many, pdfs, you could get FineReader and do ocr and create an epub (that's what I do if I really want to read the pdf on my ereader).
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
maximus83
Groupie
maximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Forma, Android, PC
You might consider using separate devices for different reading needs, rather than one size fits all.

For general, mostly text reading (like novels), try using a regular smaller e-ink device. Things like the Clara, Kindle PW, and other B&W e-ink readers are really good at that specialized task.

For things with complex graphics or layout (like your PDF's, graphic heavy things, computer or scientific texts, etc.), I think you're better off with a larger, higher resolution display, and I prefer color for this usage. So, even though I don't want to needlessly pile up extra devices, I find I really need 3 devices on a regular basis:

* Phone, general purpose comms, light computing and web access.
* Clara HD, e-reader for mostly text articles, and fiction.
* 13" laptop (one could also substitute a large tablet, something like a MSFT Surface, and Ipad, etc. here) for the PDF or complex graphic usage. The advantage of using a laptop for this is then you don't need to own a large tablet in addition to the laptop and other devices. I've been able to get away with only owning these 3 devices, works great. My HP Spectre X360 laptop can be folded back like a tablet for viewing large PDF's and computer books with complex page layouts, its perfect for that. Although I wouldn't want to sit there holding that thing for like 3 hours like you would when reading a novel; light as it is, it's too heavy for that kind of usage.

ETA: Some people I know at worked have toyed with the idea of a 'tweener' sized tablet/laptop type thingy, which *would* let you in theory use it for both regular ebook reading, AND for tablet-style entertainment, AND for light laptop tasks, AND for larger PDF type viewing. In this scenario, the only devices you'd own would be the tweener device and your phone. Sounds good in theory, but I have yet to see a device that's ACTUALLY good at all those functions. The original Microsoft Surface tried to be--I own one at work, they're really nice as an ultralight laptop-tablet, but still WAY too big/heavy for extended ebook reading. The new Microsoft Surface Go is even lighter and a step in the right direction size- and price-wise, but immediately, it compromises on the laptop power and for my work at least, it would lack enough computing power to be a serious laptop. So, while I like the idea of a do-it-all 'tweener' device that's halfway between a laptop and a small tablet, I have yet to see one that I think actually does the job or that I'd spend my own money for.

Anyway, food for thought.

Last edited by maximus83; 01-25-2019 at 08:28 PM.
maximus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:51 AM   #5
korio
korio began at the beginning.

Device: none
hello and first thanks all for the hints.

I don't need a "tablet-like" device. I have my laptop and pc for the complex stuff. But i need a e-ink reader for pleasure lectures and for technical material i need to learn.

Actually i read "casual books" in epub on my smartphone, and it start to be a bit small as device (also i want to put back phone and "external world" related when i take some time for me and my sci-fi books), and technical stuff from pc/laptop but it is not always comfortable.

Also i want to learn something new and studying something complex as IA with a pc underhand means "distraction".

So, again. I don't need a perfect pdf reader but sometimes i have some scanned material in pdf that i'm not able to convert in epub. This is my main needing.
korio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
You might find the ereaders in the videos posted in this thread interesting. (Note: I'm almost the only person trying to help the OP in the below thread; no one more knowledgeable seems to chime in.)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...60#post3803160

Note that the ereaders in the videos cost a lot more than your budget.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
You might want to look at a Tolino Epos. 7.8" screen and waterproof. There may be used ones in Europe but a new price is going to be over double your amount.

https://mytolino.com/tolino-epos/7-8-inch-ebook-reader/

Available at grooves.land, new for 213 Euros.

https://www.grooves-inc.com/product_...fb473c9c1eaec8
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
mobama
Addict
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Touch HD 2, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1
Kobo Aura One comes closest: waterproof, very good 7.8" screen. It will render pdf files decently when you install Koreader on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2oSOeAnD10
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:26 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My preferred solution is a Kindle Oasis (7" screen) for reading fiction, and a 10.5" iPad Pro for PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:28 AM   #10
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad Air 2, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura,KGlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by korio View Post
Also i want to learn something new and studying something complex as IA with a pc underhand means "distraction".
A tablet will only distract you if you tell it to distract you. Don't install distracting apps, turn all notifications off, don't have email or social media on it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab s , fire HDX 8.9, fire hd 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
A tablet will only distract you if you tell it to distract you. Don't install distracting apps, turn all notifications off, don't have email or social media on it.
1st thing i do with a new tablet is remove all social media pre-installs.
email app is harmless if you don't actually add an account ( but with android you do have to have 1 gmail account to get stuff working )

- on my android PHONE which is only to use for actual phone and text, not for email, I set it up with my pet cockatiel's gmail account as he goes not get a lot of mail ! - that's sufficient to get into play store and grab whatever free apps I need)
i think another option is to configure gmail to never sync. and it is then just there for emergencies
on an amazon fire tablet you do not need to add any accounts to the resident email app, and you can enable quiet time as well as turn off notifications... after that its down to will power
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote