Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-26-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

My current read: The New York Trilogy: City of Glass, Ghosts, the Locked Room by Paul Auster.

This unputdownable book includes three cleverly interconnected novels that exploit the elements of standard detective fiction and achieve a new genre that is all the more gripping for its starkness.

But TNYT goes beyond those of your standard spy novels. In each story the search for clues leads to remarkable coincidences in the universe as the simple act of trailing a man ultimately becomes a startling investigation of what it means to be human.

Highly recommended, especially if you are like me into film-noir atmosphere! In my eyes, Paul Auster is David Lynch in written form
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
"Invention of solitude", by Auster as well, is unputdownable too. It is duology (I can invent words, too) of a couple of novels based in his own life as a son and a father, respectively. Very emotive.
On the other hand, "the music of chance" is a total waste of time. I can hardly believe they're both by the same author. There's a movie based on that novel, that rates 6.7/10 on IMDB. Has anyone seen it?
Also, Auster wrote and directed "Lulu on the bridge". And despite the fact that the critics didn't like it, I loved it. It's the kind of things you say "well, it is crappy, but I like it!"

Thanks for the recommendation!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2004, 12:19 AM   #3
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Morpheus, have you read Berlin Noir? If you like noir you'll fall down in delight. Three novels put together. Detective fiction set it WWII era Berlin and Vienna. Two at the start of the war and last one at the end. Perfect characterization of place and mood. Also unputdownable. I'll read yours if you read mine!
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote