Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Nook Software Update

As Amazon released a new software update for the K3, when should we expect the Nook Simple Touch and Glow to be updated?
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone?
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Why would there be a new firmware for the Nook just because there is one for the K3?
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I sideload so that doesn't happen - don't want my shelves disappearing or my SD card suddenly unrecognized.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
AlexGrama
Writer

The K3 update shouldn't be related to the Nook update but I always thought that autumn is the period when both sides come up with something new.
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Why would there be a new firmware for the Nook just because there is one for the K3?
Why indeed? While the devices do try to keep pace with each other feature-wise, this really has nothing to do with when they do these periodic updates, which are usually just tweaks and bug fixes.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
The K3 update shouldn't be related to the Nook update but I always thought that autumn is the period when both sides come up with something new.
I was typing my response while you were typing yours, Alex. Yes, I guess the autumn is usually the time for upgrades, but I think anything major would require a hardware update - i.e. a new model (like the larger Kindle Fire that I think I heard about). The competition is heating up in the tablet wars, so I fear for the Nook's long-term viability, although the b&w e-readers seem safer.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Well, certainly not because of the K3 upgrade, rather because the Nook with Glowlight has a new firmware. This will certainly contain the way to control the light, which is useless on the old one, but it could contain something else.
Maybe.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
I have heard a rumor of an announcement from B&N later this month. Most think it will be the new tablet for Christmas, but could also herald an update as well. I seem to remember one around the same time.

Auntykatkat
auntykatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Is there something on the Simple Touch that needs to be updated/fixed? I was under the impression that it was pretty solid they way it is.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
RAH
Guru

There's always room for improvement, especially with tech products. The screen could be sharper and have more contrast (especially on the glow). The battery could last even longer, etc. I'm not saying I'm unhappy with the Touch, but it could be improved, IMHO.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntykatkat View Post
I have heard a rumor of an announcement from B&N later this month. Most think it will be the new tablet for Christmas, but could also herald an update as well. I seem to remember one around the same time.

Auntykatkat
My guess would be a new Tablet. They are selling refurbished tablets very cheap in their eBay store.
They are also selling the non-Glow I wouldn't be surprised if the non-glow Touch very cheap so I'm guessing it will be discontinued soon.
(Bundle a STR and a 16 GB Tablet and pay $164 + tax right now)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Is there something on the Simple Touch that needs to be updated/fixed? I was under the impression that it was pretty solid they way it is.
It is indeed, in IMO.
Some small things could help. For example, when you add books to shelves, your only method is to browse through all books listed in alphabetical order. The Kindle lets you choose the sort order (recent, author, alphabetical). That would be a small and probably easy thing.
That would be nice. There are other examples, where a small mod would make is slicker.

brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If new K3 firmware can make fonts look sharper, why not new software for Nook? I don't think Nook really need another software, but it's nice to know someone (from BN) cares.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
RAH
Guru

They released several software upgrades for the Classic Nook to enhance the fonts (and page turns), and I think one for the Touch. No one is saying that this isn't potentially possible. All I was saying is that the software upgrades to the Kindle and the Nook usually do not take place at the same time. New models are more likely to occur around the same time, to compete in selling the stuff.