Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Nook Software Update

So this morning I got a software update for my Glowlight
3. 49.2.36.
There was a blurb with what it was fixing, which I didn't bother to write down.

I don't notice anything different in the interface. I could be imagining this, but it seems a little zippier, not so many of those endless refreshes.

I was hoping against hope that they restored the Current Read button, or unhid the browser -- my pet peeve with the nook software -- but no luck.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
They didn't solve the shelf problem on side-loaded books, unfortunately. I created a small one, plugged the reader into Calibre to load a few books, and when they were downloaded, I checked on the shelf, it no longer was there. I supposed that's deliberate, to encourage you to buy your books from B&N. Not sure what else is changed.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:46 AM   #3
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
They didn't solve the shelf problem on side-loaded books, unfortunately. I created a small one, plugged the reader into Calibre to load a few books, and when they were downloaded, I checked on the shelf, it no longer was there. I supposed that's deliberate, to encourage you to buy your books from B&N. Not sure what else is changed.

Jim
I don't use "shelves" per se, but almost all of my content is side loaded. I did not lose
any of it with the update.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
mumkin
Aesthete
mumkin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
So this morning I got a software update for my Glowlight
3. 49.2.36.
There was a blurb with what it was fixing, which I didn't bother to write down.
The blurb in question:
Your NOOK has been updated
What's new in version 49.2.36_user:
This software update for your NOOK GlowLight 3 includes the following improvements:
OpenDyslexic now available as an additional font option.
Various improvements to wishlist and search.
Additional compatability support and general bug fixes.
Thank you for using NOOK!
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
I think the other new thing is non-American time zones in settings menu.
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:01 AM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
I don't use "shelves" per se, but almost all of my content is side loaded. I did not lose
any of it with the update.
Wish I could say the same. I lost ALL my sideloaded books after the update. And I don't use shelves. I have essentially given up using my Glowlight 3 and gone back to my Simple Touch (about 8 years old).
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #7
Bethann
Bethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enough

Device: paperwhite, nook, Kobo mini
I noticed that the update moved the folder that holds my sideloaded books to the folder "nook" so you may need to reload the sideloaded books so they go into this folder. When I reloaded them, they worked fine, but the darn reader is so blasted slow, I seldom use it.
Bethann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I'll try that. We shall see...
Old 06-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
RAH
Guru

Well, when I checked my directories on the Glowlight with my compter, they were all corrupted, with crazy-looking names (garbage and weird characters). I tried rebooting the Nook, doing a "soft" reset, rebooting my computer, etc. No luck. So, I had to deregister it and start from scratch as though it was new.

This worked, although I had to once again copy my sideload files to the Nook (I used the Nook directory). None of the sideloaded books shows a cover in the Library, but they seem to open OK. BUT, I'll bet I lose them all the next time B&N does an upgrade. In fact, I'll bet I lose them all next time I sneeze!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Well, when I checked my directories on the Glowlight with my compter, they were all corrupted, with crazy-looking names (garbage and weird characters). I tried rebooting the Nook, doing a "soft" reset, rebooting my computer, etc. No luck. So, I had to deregister it and start from scratch as though it was new.

This worked, although I had to once again copy my sideload files to the Nook (I used the Nook directory). None of the sideloaded books shows a cover in the Library, but they seem to open OK. BUT, I'll bet I lose them all the next time B&N does an upgrade. In fact, I'll bet I lose them all next time I sneeze!
Be VERY careful to properly eject the NOOK. And when you do, then WAIT before unplugging it. The NOOK seems to need to recognize each side-loaded book EVERY time it has been connected to the computer. Watch the 'New & Recent' (top) section of the NOOK's opening page. You will see the covers of the side-loaded books flash past; WAIT until that stops BEFORE unplugging the device. Pull the plug too soon and the memory of the NOOK can be corrupted.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #11
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Be VERY careful to properly eject the NOOK. And when you do, then WAIT before unplugging it. The NOOK seems to need to recognize each side-loaded book EVERY time it has been connected to the computer. Watch the 'New & Recent' (top) section of the NOOK's opening page. You will see the covers of the side-loaded books flash past; WAIT until that stops BEFORE unplugging the device. Pull the plug too soon and the memory of the NOOK can be corrupted.
OK, I'll do that. I don't think that's why I lost my sideloads because I only connected the Nook to the computer after I noticed they were all gone (after the update). But it may be the reason why the directories were corrupted. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I received this today. Is this the same update you are talking about?:

On June 29th, 2018, Barnes & Noble will be upgrading the security software used for data encryption, known as Transport Layer Security (TLS), from Version 1.1 to Version 1.2.

To verify the necessary software version for your NOOK, and install the TLS 1.2 security update on your NOOK, click here to locate the software update file associated with your device and follow the installation instructions on the page. Once installed, your NOOK will continue to function as expected.
Our records show that your NOOK does not have the most recent NOOK software version, which includes a very important new security update. If you do not complete this update your NOOK service will be interrupted. The following NOOK Devices require an update to be compliant with TLS Version 1.2:

NOOK Color
NOOK Tablet
NOOK HD
NOOK HD+
NOOK Simple Touch
NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight
NOOK GlowLight

If your NOOK is updated before June 29th, 2018, you should not experience any interruption in your NOOK’s performance.

IF YOUR NOOK IS NOT UPDATED BEFORE JUNE 29TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE ANY PURCHASES OR MANAGE THE NOOK CONTENT IN YOUR LIBRARY UNTIL THE UPDATE IS INSTALLED.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #13
RAH
Guru

I doubt if this is the same update, since it says "On June 29th", which hasn't arrived yet (I got the same email). I can see it coming now - I'm going to lose all my sideloaded books yet again. Nice. Sigh...
Old 06-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #14
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
Tarana - When you say you 'received' that message, how did you get it? Text, email?
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #15
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
Interesting, the Glowlight Plus is not listed. I also wonder when it says Nook Tablet, which Nook Tablet does it mean.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote