Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
"At least" 10 new e-book readers between now and January

And more on the way. Saturation, dead ahead:

"Manghnani says more than 20 companies are designing e-book readers. At least half of them plan to launch between now and the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January, he says."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Qualcomm-Freescale-Among-ibd-2319881367.html?x=0&.v=1
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have renamed your thread title to replace "e-books" with "e-book readers".

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
(For those of us old enough) Remember how expensive Microwaves were when they first came out? Paid almost $600 for our 1st one back in the late 70's. Now, you can get one for $39.00 (not the quality or features of the high price spread, but still....) When enough companies get on the bandwagon, competition will drive down the price & make them more readily available. Another example...how 'bout them there portable telephone things? Again, Big bucks in the beginning, few choices...now, they're give-aways!
I, for one, look forward to it!! Now, if the format will just get settled down.....
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
(For those of us old enough) Remember how expensive Microwaves were when they first came out? Paid almost $600 for our 1st one back in the late 70's. Now, you can get one for $39.00 (not the quality or features of the high price spread, but still....) When enough companies get on the bandwagon, competition will drive down the price & make them more readily available. Another example...how 'bout them there portable telephone things? Again, Big bucks in the beginning, few choices...now, they're give-aways!
I, for one, look forward to it!! Now, if the format will just get settled down.....
they still cost over $1000 a year (our family contract comes to over 200 bucks a month)

prices should drop slightly. but still, not enough people read. I don't expect the prices to drop too much. reading is not listening to music. I would say there are 10 people who listen to music for every one person who reads.

maybe 1 in 4 adults read atleast 5 books a year.

ebook readers are really targeted to people who read more than 20 a year. which I think it closer to 1 in 20 people
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone wants to guess what e-readers that he is talking about?

My guess is, (without thinking to much about it)
astak 2 models
sony 3 models (the 300, 600 and one more)
irex 1 model
txtr 1 model
plastic logics 2 models (perhaps )
samsung 1 model (why not!)

10 models

I am prob wrong but it is more for starting the discussion
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
PennyPie
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
they still cost over $1000 a year (our family contract comes to over 200 bucks a month)
?????I'm sorry...what is the 'they' to which you refer that costs $200 a month????? (It's early & maybe I'm being dense.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think he's talking about mobile phone costs. When I first read it, I though it was microwave ovens
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
PennyPie

Quote:
I think he's talking about mobile phone costs
DUH....monthly CHARGES....yep, probly right...I was refering to initial cost of devise, not the on-going charges.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post

I am prob wrong but it is more for starting the discussion
Nah, I think you have a good point, and I agree. At least some of those "20 companies who are designing ebook readers" must be re-branding existing devices such as the Hanlin devices and the STAReBook. Creating a new device from scratch is not done overnight. I'm sure we'll hear more if there's anything in it. The article sounded like a lot of speculation and no substantial facts.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
eReaderPlanet
eReaderPlanet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
ebook readers are really targeted to people who read more than 20 a year. which I think it closer to 1 in 20 people
Although, if eReaders as we know them change into devices that do many things - video, pictures, music, etc - then that market could grow.

I've always thought that one problem with digital pictures is the loss of the traditional "photo album". With an eReader that has color and displays images well, you'd have that back.
eReaderPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
When I saw Qualcomm mentioned in the linked URL, I was thinking it might have something to do with their long-lost pseudo-epaper technology. Anyone have any idea what happened with that?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Nah, I think you have a good point, and I agree. At least some of those "20 companies who are designing ebook readers" must be re-branding existing devices such as the Hanlin devices and the STAReBook. Creating a new device from scratch is not done overnight. I'm sure we'll hear more if there's anything in it. The article sounded like a lot of speculation and no substantial facts.
I don't think we are talking "re-branding" here. Nor do I think it is speculation at all. Note the quote is from Kishore Manghnani, "manager of broadband home business for Marvell Technology." Note also, his company's semiconductor "chips will include wireless circuitry."

Here's the rest of his "quote" as culled from the article:

"Manghnani says the company will soon release a chip set he calls "a complete solution for e-books."

The chips will include wireless circuitry, along with power management chips and a controller chip for the e-paper display.

Manghnani says Marvell is shipping to customers, but wouldn't yet name them.

Manghnani says more than 20 companies are designing e-book readers. At least half of them plan to launch between now and the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January, he says.

"And (our chips) will be in quite a few of them," Manghnani said."

I'm reading this as 20 new designs, and maybe 20 new designs with wireless capabilities...
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I gotta get me some PVI stock. What was that ticker ID again?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
... and in the list of companies, don't forget that pixel qi claims to be talking to multiple companies.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
DUH....monthly CHARGES....yep, probly right...I was refering to initial cost of devise, not the on-going charges.
But they are related. YOu can sell the device below cost if you have on-going charges. You cannot compare the cost of a device that is subsidized with the cost of a device that is not.

I do not think eBook Readers prices will drop significantly until there are other screen manufactures of E-Ink screens not tied to the patent. And so long as the patent time is in force this will not happen. The only thing that will drive the prices down earlier is another technology that challenges E-INK

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote