Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Article on Linux and E Ink displays

The Linux World article Kernel space: E-paper support for Linux by Jaya Kumar is a technical description of the unique aspects of persistent e-paper displays and techniques for driving E Ink's Apollo and Metronome controllers.

Apollo is used by the Cybook Gen3, Amazon Kindle, and Sony PRS-500, while (the newer) Metronome is used by the Sony PRS-505.

Anyone want to roll their own E Ink Reader? This article certainly makes this appear possible, but still a daunting task.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Very interesting article, thanks!
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
jayakumar
jayakumar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jayakumar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jayakumar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: E-Ink
Hi. Thanks for your feedback on the article. :-) It is certainly feasible to roll one's own E-Book reader, and I would venture as far as saying it's within imagination to hit a bill of materials lower than the USD$100 mark in any reasonable volumes. I would make it using an SOC (need to find one with AMLCD) with sufficient on-chip flash and SRAM to run something small but viable like ucos or possibly just bite the cost a bit and add sufficient flash and sdram to run linux, and have it read SD cards for content. Adding expansion like AC97 audio, and things like SD wifi or other media should also be possible. By the way, I posted a video of the older version of metrnomefb running with X clients here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or3R3Q8oyuE I can try to take a better video of a more recent version if people are interested. Thanks again.
jayakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
drkool
drkool began at the beginning.

Device: irex illiad
Thanks a lot for this article Jaya. I have been looking for something like this for a while now.

I believe that the true magic of e-ink will will show when the prices of devices get to the $100 level. (though it is unlikely to happen anytime soon). This can only happen if we conceive of a device that only does one thing well. Frankly I would gladly give up the SD cards, Audio capability, touch screen etc for a very basic and very cheap (less then $100) reader. Something that will not happen until someone proves the concept.

I believe your article is a step in that direction. Thanks again
drkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:17 AM   #5
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Linux World article Kernel space: E-paper support for Linux by Jaya Kumar
Very good read. He says that that framework is already merged in 2.6.22. And with nalim opensource delta driver this would become implementable on the iliad.This is getting really interesting :-).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
jayakumar
jayakumar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jayakumar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jayakumar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: E-Ink
I've posted a bunch of pictures of metronomefb displaying various images. I also posted a few of it running dillo (an embedded web browser) with a few websites.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jayakumar.lkml/Metronomefb

I hope it's of interest.
jayakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkool View Post
Frankly I would gladly give up the SD cards, Audio capability, touch screen etc for a very basic and very cheap (less then $100) reader.
I think even an inexpensive reader should have some kind of expandable memory storage, though. Why have a reader if you have to be tied to a desktop to get to your library?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I think even an inexpensive reader should have some kind of expandable memory storage, though. Why have a reader if you have to be tied to a desktop to get to your library?
Well, flash memory is getting cheaper. Personally I have never needed an SD card for my Sony Reader, except when I reflashed it with a hacked firmware.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hard to know how much memory to include in the base unit, though. I like having the option of expanding.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Not to mention offsite storage on SD cards in a safety deposit box or something, so one fire doesn't take out your whole library
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:43 AM   #11
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Not to mention offsite storage on SD cards in a safety deposit box or something, so one fire doesn't take out your whole library
Really? You put your pbooks in a safety box, too? (in case of fire)

I also back up onto on-line storage (Like boxnet or MSN or somewhere) so if a fire goes through my SD card collection, at least the data is safe...

Forgive me, I'm an Aussie and afflicked with "that" sense of humour....
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:45 AM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Well, that IS one of the advantages of ebooks -- being able to have backups. (Or at least it ought to be.)
Old 08-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Using SD cards is actually very cheap. Many homebrew hardware hackers use SD cards as their means of storage in their project. The parts to do so are a dime a dozen. Hell, I'd say no on board storage, and just use SD cards, if you really want to save money.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #15
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
$100 E-Ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkool View Post
Thanks a lot for this article Jaya. I have been looking for something like this for a while now.

I believe that the true magic of e-ink will will show when the prices of devices get to the $100 level. (though it is unlikely to happen anytime soon). This can only happen if we conceive of a device that only does one thing well. Frankly I would gladly give up the SD cards, Audio capability, touch screen etc for a very basic and very cheap (less then $100) reader. Something that will not happen until someone proves the concept.

I believe your article is a step in that direction. Thanks again
Dear Dr. Kool:

Allowing, sir, that the cost now of a 6 inch E-Ink panel to the manufacturer is $75 minimum, and then that manufacturer needs to add the body and the features and all the guts, and has to design and buy the body, and still has to pay for the Format ($70,000 per model for ADE), and then needs to mark up to make their profit, and then the distributor marks it up, and it costs $5 per unit for freight from China or Taiwan, and packaging is no small burden, and panel costs are RISING and not falling... you are well-intentioned but I do not see it happening. A 5 inch just broke the $200 barrier and it is already stripped to its shorts... and nobody is making profit, much less sufficient profit, at that price.

I work for a manufacturer and my costs are accurate.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote