Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #31
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Some people just don't understand the "book" concept.
Perhaps it is time that eBooks stop imitating the limitations of traditional dead-tree books and realize what they really are - electronic data on an electronic device.
Apparently there's still eBook that try to obfuscate that fact by imitating page turns and all that...
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #32
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
This could actually be fun if used wisely. I remember listening to an Jane Austen audiobook that played a little period music between chapters. It really enhanced the experiance.
It's funny to me that you liked that. I listen to a lot of audiobooks and detest it when they have any sounds. It seems to drop me right out of the story. But I guess the saying about how boring the world would be if we all liked the same things is correct.

I doubt I would like Google's idea either. If I want sound while reading, I put on some classical music. I wouldn't want sound effects.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #33
mobilis
drowned in old books
mobilis is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'd hate sounds in a book... And you know that they would play at the most INOPPORTUNE times (Murphy's Law!)

Also, I tend to read late at night, so random sounds would startle me...

As long as they aren't FORCING this "enhancment" on us, though- as companies so often do with bad ideas- then I would be okay with it. My concern is that it will become some sort of awfully-annoying industry standard. (The Odyssey does not and never will need trendy sound effects! Ugh.)
mobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #34
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Errrrrrr..................

How can they try to patent this?

I have a Leappad read-along that does exactly this ?
:P
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #35
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Perhaps this could be used for background music rather than sound effects.

Think of it this way: you could turn on some music to read while you're reading a book. You could choose something that fits the story yourself, but it usually won't fit the passage you're reading. You can have the ereader choose it, and it likely will fit the passage.

On the distaste for sound effects though, I totally agree. Unless it is done well, it is likely to be disruptive. Unless you can track exactly where the reader is, it will probably be in the wrong place. (I suppose you can extrapolate a reader's position based upon the rate of page turns or track eye movement, but I doubt that those techniques would be reliable.)
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #36
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
but .... but ....

I announced my audio wallpaper concept (I have code right here) on MR like err... a year ago? Who do I sue!!!!

: D

yeah yeah okay, I could never afford the legal fees anyways.

Last edited by twobob; 09-10-2013 at 11:24 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #37
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Ha. I had this idea a year ago. Glad to see someone giving it a shot.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #38
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
This comes under "let's patent every banal, obvious, and unoriginal idea we can think of before somebody else does."

The soundtrack for 50 shades of Gray should be a hoot.

Last edited by Barty; 09-15-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #39
mobilis
drowned in old books
mobilis is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
This comes under "let's patent every banal, obvious, and unoriginal idea we can think of before somebody else does."

The soundtrack for 50 shades of Gray should be a hoot.
Of course, the real thing people would use that soundtrack for is to customize coworkers' login sounds... :x
mobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #40
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
gosh, they should sue 80's Infocom

Google has been making some truly dumb moves as of late...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #41
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Listening to Audiobooks, yes. Any extra "low volume" background music and/or sound effects that do not drown out the narrator do help you get into the story. However, this is an already auditory experience.

When I'm reading, I really do not want any noise going on. Sometimes even a loud bird call outside can throw me off when I'm really into a book.

I hope we at least have the option of disabling these if they ever do come out.
Pretty much this. I loathe it enough when I go to a local news website, for example, and an audio ad plays. Weird sounds while I'm reading would startle me. Of course, a few judicious sound effects, background music would be fine in an audiobook.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #42
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I also think this one falls apart when we realize that an eBook (flowing text) is really no different than a webpage and background music has been an integral part of personal vanity pages since the mid 90s.
Oh Lord, how I loathe web pages with music on them. Back in the day, when more people seemed to think that adding sound (and animated gifs) enhanced their web pages, the first thing I did was close the page when my ears were assaulted.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #43
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I already have sound enhancement when I read ebooks - it's called "the-TV-is-on-in-the-same-room".

I mean, really now. The whole point of reading is to exercise your imagination, not to have it spoon-fed to you. If you want an audiobook experience, buy an audiobook.

Can you just imagine the horror of reading one of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake books (post-Obsidian Butterfly) with sound enhancement??? I shudder at the thought of how LKH (and others) would run with that concept.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #44
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Next time you read Homer's Odyssey, don't be embarrassed if your e-reader suddenly outputs seductive songs, in particular when you're somewhere in the middle of the book where Odysseus approaches the island of the lovely Sirens. Google has applied to patent a system that plays sounds that are associated with a user's reading location within an e-book.

In one variety of the implementation it's the responsibility of a remote "sound server" with a "sound database", which is connected via WiFi or 3G to the reading device, providing sounds in response to specific trigger points. In another implementation, trigger points don't need to be specified individually in every book; rather, a book would receive a unique identifier and a client could access a remote trigger point database to fetch the related sound information.

The concept is simple enough that we wouldn't be surprised to find it in future reading apps.
Only for children books. I hope.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #45
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I mean, really now. The whole point of reading is to exercise your imagination, not to have it spoon-fed to you. If you want an audiobook experience, buy an audiobook.
I do not agree. The main point for me is to experience the events in the books and also to experience the language. I do not visualize the scenes in detail.

Having videos and photos might still be bad for me but that is because it gives much more information than I usually have so it might distract from the reading process in that way. But it is not because it contradicts or replace my own imagination.

So people read differently.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote