Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2016, 05:20 AM   #1
mihaixp
mihaixp began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Possible Software bricked Kindle Voyage - can it be recovered?

Hello,

I've been looking for ages for a Voyage at a good price and I finally found one but the seller says that the device has a Software problem. The only thing I know is that the device is stuck at the lockscreen (picture with pencils). I do not know the exact symptoms, unfortunately, therefore I cannot mention the problems that caused the bricking.

My question is, can the device be hard bricked or can it be saved, by rewriting the OS or something similar? Can anyone hard brick a Kindle Voyage?

I do not have access to the device so basically, I need to decide without seeing it, but I wouldn't want to end up with an expensive paperweight.

Thanks in advance,
Mihai
mihaixp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaixp View Post
Hello,

I've been looking for ages for a Voyage at a good price and I finally found one but the seller says that the device has a Software problem. The only thing I know is that the device is stuck at the lockscreen (picture with pencils). I do not know the exact symptoms, unfortunately, therefore I cannot mention the problems that caused the bricking.

My question is, can the device be hard bricked or can it be saved, by rewriting the OS or something similar? Can anyone hard brick a Kindle Voyage?

I do not have access to the device so basically, I need to decide without seeing it, but I wouldn't want to end up with an expensive paperweight.

Thanks in advance,
Mihai
We are even further away from having it in our hands than you are.

I would ask the seller some additional questions:
Are you the original owner? (I.E: Can you give me the history of the device?)
Has the device ever been opened? (If not the original owner, seller can only guess this answer)
Alway kept dry? (not just of water, but of every liquid)
Subjected to any extremes of heat or cold?

= = = =

I don't think KV devices have been out a full year yet, so:
Why didn't you return it to Amazon for exchange?
(I.E: Is this thing stolen?)

= = = =

Ask yourself if your willing to add a serial port to the device.
Nearly everything about 'firmware damage' can be fixed over the serial port.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
mihaixp

Thank you very much for the thorough answer. Some pretty valid points that I forgot about there.

I do not believe the Kindle is stolen, because it comes with the boxes and all the other bits and bobs as well (but not with receipt, I suspect).

I will ask all the other questions and come back with the answers.

Cheers.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you very much for the thorough answer. Some pretty valid points that I forgot about there.

I do not believe the Kindle is stolen, because it comes with the boxes and all the other bits and bobs as well (but not with receipt, I suspect).

I will ask all the other questions and come back with the answers.

Cheers.
When packaged retail items fall off the back of the truck (or fall through the cracks of the storeroom floor), they usual also come in the original box.

I didn't mean you should suggest to the seller that it is stolen goods but I did mean you should ask why they didn't return it for exchange.

BIG NOTE:
If it is 'lost or stolen' then Amazon has blacklisted it, which means it can not be registered.

So maybe another P.C. question to ask is if the seller has or had it registered.

= = = = =

The screen is a meta-stable display -
It will continue displaying whatever was written to it last, even if removed from the device.

So a picture of the device displaying one of Amazon's screensavers only tells you that you are getting a screen (that worked at least once) and the plastic case.
The rest of the guts may be missing.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It better be damned cheap to try it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I agree with Rizla.
Unless it is super cheap, I would pass on this Voyage.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd pass on a Voyage, period. New devices are looming...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
mihaixp

Thank you all for the answers.

I passed on this Voyage. Haven't received any response from the seller but that was not the reason, your opinions were the real reason.

A local store has an offer for the Kindle Paperwhite 2015 (I currently have the 2nd gen, upgraded HW, 212 ppi, 2GB model). I'd upgrade to this one until the new devices surface.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Does that mean a PW-3?
I think it does. . . .
I have one, a nice device (it is a KV without the case buttons or cost).

Keep a watch for sales on them, with new models soon to be released, they should be going on sale, RSN.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
mihaixp

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Does that mean a PW-3?
I think it does. . . .
I have one, a nice device (it is a KV without the case buttons or cost).

Keep a watch for sales on them, with new models soon to be released, they should be going on sale, RSN.
Correct. The KV without the flush display or the buttons (or the price ) I'm a bit confused when talking about the Paperwhite generations.

If I can get it I'll keep until something new appears on the horizon.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Correct. The KV without the flush display or the buttons (or the price ) I'm a bit confused when talking about the Paperwhite generations.

If I can get it I'll keep until something new appears on the horizon.
You might want to hurry up that purchase,
the better chance then that you can get one still running 5.6.5 or older firmware.

'Small' retailers might be a better chance of still having 'old stock'.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
PS knc1: the kindle has been out for 1.5 years now. It was fall of 2014, not 2015, when they came out.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #13
mihaixp

Quote:
You might want to hurry up that purchase,
the better chance then that you can get one still running 5.6.5 or older firmware.

'Small' retailers might be a better chance of still having 'old stock'.
Hmm, might I ask what is the advantage of the older firmware?

I have installed the newer version on my existing Paperwhite and it now has a different, more "Android-ish" look.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hmm, might I ask what is the advantage of the older firmware?

I have installed the newer version on my existing Paperwhite and it now has a different, more "Android-ish" look.
You can jailbreak 5.6.5, but not anything else.
Once jail broken, and the 'hotfix' run, then you can update to the Amazon version you prefer.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #15
mihaixp

Quote:
You can jailbreak 5.6.5, but not anything else.
Once jail broken, and the 'hotfix' run, then you can update to the Amazon version you prefer.
I just bought it and yes, it is 5.6.5. I have read a few articles on Kindle Jailbreaking. I know it can bring some possible benefits (such as fonts, screensavers). Are there any downsides to the jailbreak? Will I be able to install the newer software versions (even newer than 5.7.3) without any disadvantages? Are there any bugs that I should be aware of?

Momentarily I will keep it on Airplane mode because I have never jailbreaked any Kindle device so far. I have some experience with Android but this seems to be a bit different (not necesarilly more difficult).

I have read some tutorials on the forum but I'm not sure which aprroach is the best. Can you direct me to an easy method of jailbreaking + hotfixing?

Thanks!

Last edited by mihaixp; 03-23-2016 at 04:39 PM.