Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
macfrugal
macfrugal doesn't littermacfrugal doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Kindle 3 Serial Number question

I acquired a damaged screen Kindle 3 WiFi (no 3G) and located what I thought was the serial number as detailed here. The serial number I found was in the following format: B008A0A--------2&0
(the blue portion should represent the serial number - the dashes are numbers).

I have two 3G Kindles with serial numbers that end in a letter. My question is: Do the WiFi Kindles' serial number end with a letter or a number? The reason why I'm asking is that I got the following message when I tried to register what I think is the serial number: "There was a problem registering your Kindle. Please contact customer service at 1-866-321-8851."

I'm trying to figure out if I'm putting in the wrong serial number, if the Kindle needs to be deregistered, or if it's blacklisted.

Thanks for any insight.
macfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
My K3 WiFi serial ends with a letter (the last 3 characters are N7U).

My K3 3G serial ends with a number.

In Amazon's Kindle User Guide, the picture of the Settings screen shows a 3G (B006...) serial which ends in a number.

In all cases, the serial is 16 characters long.

Hope this helps.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Just checked a K3 wifi only and it ends in 935
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
What did they say when you called the number on the error message?

I have a 3G Kindle, so I can't help you with the serial number.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
macfrugal

Thank you, mrsquash and wvcherrybomb! That helps.

I haven't yet called the number - I'm going to attempt to blindly deregister first.
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
macfrugal

I contacted Amazon and they informed me the Kindle was lost or stolen. They've sent a label for the return of the Kindle.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #7
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfrugal View Post
I contacted Amazon and they informed me the Kindle was lost or stolen. They've sent a label for the return of the Kindle.
About the label to return the Kindle.. are they paying you money for returning it?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I had received one defective Kindle WiFi and another Kindle WiFi in good condition. The defective one ended in three digits starting with a letter. The one in good condition ended in three numbers.

It's possible all the ones ending with the letter in the last 3 digits were recalled since, as soon as I gave my serial number to CS on the defective one, it was recalled immediately without questions. The letter starting the last 3 digits in the defective one was an "E".

Both Kindle WiFi's started with B0008A0A.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-10-2011 at 09:07 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
macfrugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
About the label to return the Kindle.. are they paying you money for returning it?
No. And I'm in an ethical quandary. I purchased the damaged Kindle on eBay with the hope of having it fixed. Amazon treated me like a criminal and said it must be returned to Amazon. Now the eBay seller says return it to him for a refund. What a mess!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
Return it to the seller for a refund from them - that's the only way you'll get that money back.

Contact Amazon, and say you're not sending it back to them, since the person on ebay sold it to you, and you need to return it to them for a refund.

If I were you, I'd pass Amazon the ebay Seller's detail as well - but there's no doubt some law against passing on a third parties details, even if they're likely a crook
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by reech View Post
Return it to the seller for a refund from them - that's the only way you'll get that money back.

Contact Amazon, and say you're not sending it back to them, since the person on ebay sold it to you, and you need to return it to them for a refund.

If I were you, I'd pass Amazon the ebay Seller's detail as well - but there's no doubt some law against passing on a third parties details, even if they're likely a crook
I'd send it back to Amazon, and then file a request with Paypal to have your payment returned, citing sale of lost/stolen goods. Paypal is supposed to make good in that case (through the Buyer Protection program).
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
No. And I'm in an ethical quandary. I purchased the damaged Kindle on eBay with the hope of having it fixed. Amazon treated me like a criminal and said it must be returned to Amazon. Now the eBay seller says return it to him for a refund. What a mess!
As reech said, return it to the eBay sender. If the seller gives you any problems, open a dispute, and Paypal will have your back when you state that it was a stolen good. As for Amazon, if they call you, just tell them that you returned the product.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #13
macfrugal

I informed the seller that it has to go back to Amazon regardless. The screen was completely unreadable on this Kindle, but it also had a lighted case which I'm sure the owner would like returned.

The seller consented and refunded my money. Tomorrow, the Kindle and case will go back to Amazon.

It sure has been an interesting 24 hours with this broken Kindle.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
I informed the seller that it has to go back to Amazon regardless. The screen was completely unreadable on this Kindle, but it also had a lighted case which I'm sure the owner would like returned.

The seller consented and refunded my money. Tomorrow, the Kindle and case will go back to Amazon.

It sure has been an interesting 24 hours with this broken Kindle.
I'm glad it all turned out well, although I don't understand why you would give the case to Amazon. You could sell/keep/return it. I doubt that Amazon would send the Kindle back to the original owner, since the screen is broken.