Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
Krinks
Krinks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & MobiPocket Reader
Crusades

Hello,

I'm looking for a good ebook on the Crusades. I have a Kindle and live in Canada. I'm also fairly new to that particular period of history, so would like a book that is appropriate to my knowledge. I've been looking at these this book, and this book.

Has anyone read either of these, or know of anything that is better?

Input is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Krinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
The two books you linked to are both good but heavy reading. Asbridge is probably the better choice between the two.

Rather than tackle all of the Crusades, you might be better off with books that focus on one Crusade at a time. An excellent book on the Third Crusade is James Reston, Jr.'s Warriors of God: Richard the Lionheart and Saladin in the Third Crusade.

Although not focused on the Crusades, Susan Wise Bauer's The History of the Medieval World: From the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade is an excellent overview of the history that leads up to and includes the First Crusade.

Probably the best of the recent, all-encompassing books about the Crusades is Christopher Tyerman's God's War: A New History of the Crusades. It is, I think, the single best work on the subject to date. However, it, like the 2 books you linked to, can sometimes be dense reading.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert