Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #1741
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscat View Post
... What I was looking for, what I want and really miss, is something that tells me *while I am reading* where I am in the book - page 45 of 250 ... if it is possible to tell me how many pages left in the chapter, why not in the whole book?
I would love to have this feature as well. Thank you for considering!!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #1742
mitchmiller
mitchmiller began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I know this has been discussed before but percentage progress and word counts are not a substitute for a page count, in my opinion. The lack of a page count is what is keeping me from using Marvin.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #1743
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller View Post
I know this has been discussed before but percentage progress and word counts are not a substitute for a page count, in my opinion. The lack of a page count is what is keeping me from using Marvin.
Page count relative to what? Every time you change font size, margins, line spacing, etc. what makes up a "page" changes. Is a page one per screen of text (like with kePub's) or is a page multiple screens (like ADE/RMSDK based readers) or is a page something that correlates to a physical edition of a book (like Kindle)?
Old 08-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #1744
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Of course page count is always relative and somewhat arbitrary in an ebook, unless based explicitly on a paper edition. But as it stands, Marvin tells us the pages remaining in the chapter, and that calculation must be based on some standard. The same standard, whatever it is, could be used for total pages in book. I believe some epubs do have page numbers in the file, though I'm not an expert on this. And it would always be possible to simply establish an arbitrary standard - I think Cool-er did this (eg, a page is x words/lines long).

The point (or one point) is not, for me at least, some sort of absolute accuracy, but rather to give the reader a frame of reference and an easier way to find things again. Search of course is incredibly helpful, but I think many readers, especially those whose deep internal understanding of books is as collections of paper pages, conceptualize books in a way that makes page numbers important navigation and orientation tools.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #1745
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Personally, I'd like to see ADE/RMSDK pages, which I have found to be consistent across devices. I.e., page 50 is the same on Bluefire Reader, Mantano (for Android), Nook, Sony Reader, ADE, etc. I like that consistency. (Forgive my denseness, but does Marvin use ADE/RMSDK?)
Old 08-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #1746
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
Personally, I'd like to see ADE/RMSDK pages, which I have found to be consistent across devices. I.e., page 50 is the same on Bluefire Reader, Mantano (for Android), Nook, Sony Reader, ADE, etc. I like that consistency. (Forgive my denseness, but does Marvin use ADE/RMSDK?)
No, it does not.

Art
Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #1747
Rhialto
Enthusiast
Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Loading library of a little over a thousand books on starting Marvin 1.8 on iPad2 now takes about 10 seconds after first running optimization (which took about 1 minute).

Not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@Rhialto: What version of Marvin are you running (Home Screen, Settings [gear icon], About Marvin)? 1.8 is much faster than all previous versions.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #1748
RONE
Enthusiast
RONE began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S
I keep seeing people with ebook collections that are larger than some local libraries. What reason is there for needing to have thousands of books at your fingertips at all times?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #1749
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
I keep seeing people with ebook collections that are larger than some local libraries. What reason is there for needing to have thousands of books at your fingertips at all times?
I used to do that, and waste uncountable hours maintaining thousands o eBooks, and one day I figure it and stopped.

Now I have some Calibre collections (one for de-DRM purchased books -legal in Spain) and some others.

My devices only contains the eBooks I'm just reading or going to read, and if I need a new one, I purchase (or "find") it and send to my devices.

Once, read, I delete it from devices.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #1750
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Why not? I find it useful to have plenty of choices on-hand for times when internet connection is not readily available.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #1751
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@Rhialto - Glad it's better for you.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #1752
RONE
Enthusiast
RONE began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Why not? I find it useful to have plenty of choices on-hand for times when internet connection is not readily available.
Yes, but a thousand books? Two thousand? At some point you have to admit that it's ridiculous. Unless you're referring to the apocalypse as "times when Internet connection is not readily accessible." Not to mention keeping that many books in an app creates additional headaches for developers to code for. Truly, pick out a hundred books and sync them. Can't pick a good book out of that collection? Well, that's just ridiculous.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #1753
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Yes, but a thousand books? Two thousand? At some point you have to admit that it's ridiculous. Unless you're referring to the apocalypse as "times when Internet connection is not readily accessible." Not to mention keeping that many books in an app creates additional headaches for developers to code for. Truly, pick out a hundred books and sync them. Can't pick a good book out of that collection? Well, that's just ridiculous.
I have over 3,000 epubs in Stanza (accumulated over a span of 3 years, ~90% read, the rest crap I've started but am not going to finish reading) and even then, I'd still find myself wanting something else to read (thankfully, it's rare that I don't have internet access). I've currently got only 550 titles in Marvin but that's because I've only started actively using it recently (when auto collections was implemented).
Old 08-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #1754
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Since I got Calibre working how I want it, and got it into Dropbox/Sugarsync/Box/Copy, I have no interest in storing bazillions of books on my devices, especially not ones I have no intention of reading. I delete anything of that ilk. Don't care if I spent money on it, if its rubbish, its rubbish I wont read.

I like Marvin just how it is right now, and am hoping the iphone version is not long coming because even though I know Stanza will work with iOS7 complete with current bugs, its time to move on, but I can't because there still isn't anything good enough. Marvin will be that "anything". *Fidgets*
Old 08-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #1755
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Getting kind of off topic here, but I have 10 books in Marvin on my ipad mini. 4 that I've read and need to delete. I have about another 15 in the kindle app that I have yet to dedrm and move to calibre/marvin. I'm never gone from my computer that long that I can't load another book.
Closed Thread