Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Find and Replace Buttons

I have been using the "Find and Replace" buttons a lot recently. This has led me to notice, that I have been making an error in choosing some buttons, than I would like.

Specifically when I think I have pressed the "Count All" button, I find I have pressed the "Replace All" button.

So I am making this suggestion to start a discussion.

Suggestion

Point 1. Put the Count All and Find buttons in the left hand column and make them the size of the current Count All button.
Point 2. Put the remaining buttons in the right hand column with Replace All at the top and make these buttons he size of the current Find button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2018-09-03 at 19.55.39.png
Views:	119
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	166038  
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I have never, ever, ever done that...but a friend of mine has - repeatedly. He would concur with you...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Suggestion: drop the "Count All" down a row, viz:

And maybe get rid of hard to see 'hide options row' button

Or use the keyboard shortcuts

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-03-2018 at 07:50 PM. Reason: image too big
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
We're not going to "get rid of" any buttons from the F&R widget.

We'll certainly take suggestions for improvements under advisement, but there's going to have to be some pretty compelling arguments from lots of disaffected users for us to consider reordering a long-standing button arrangement on a heavily used part of the Sigil gui. Those kind of changes often end up annoying more people than they appease.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Suggestion: drop the "Count All" down a row, viz:

And maybe get rid of hard to see 'hide options row' button

Or use the keyboard shortcuts

BR
That would work and is a minimal change. I wish I had thought of that.
Advert
Old 09-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
We're not going to "get rid of" any buttons from the F&R widget.

We'll certainly take suggestions for improvements under advisement, but there's going to have to be some pretty compelling arguments from lots of disaffected users for us to consider reordering a long-standing button arrangement on a heavily used part of the Sigil gui. Those kind of changes often end up annoying more people than they appease.
I support BetterRed's suggestion as it is a minimal change, which would probably do the job without upsetting anyone.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
I support BetterRed's suggestion as it is a minimal change, which would probably do the job without upsetting anyone.
Catch23: Currently the Count All button is member of the Options row. If it was moved into the Mode row it wouldn't disappear when the Option row was hidden as it does now. And when the Options row was hidden it would be back where it is now, then you and Turtle91's friend would be no better off than you are now

Hence my 'maybe get rid of...' statement.

BR
Old 09-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
My friend didn't even know about the options button until it was brought up in a very recent thread...he's pretty dense sometimes... He also wouldn't ever turn off the options row as he uses those functions 95% of the time....or so I would think, knowing him as I do.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #9
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

Quote:
Catch23: Currently the Count All button is member of the Options row. If it was moved into the Mode row it wouldn't disappear when the Option row was hidden as it does now. And when the Options row was hidden it would be back where it is now, then you and Turtle91's friend would be no better off than you are now

Hence my 'maybe get rid of...' statement.

BR
There is always something...

Personally I never hide the options row.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
There is always something...

Personally I never hide the options row.

Didn't know I could until DiapDealer pointed it out in a recent post, like Turtle91's friend and the button I too am pretty dim at times

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-03-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Didn't know I could until DiapDealer pointed it out in a recent post, like Turtle91's friend and the button I too am pretty dim at times
your

The one thing that has always bothered me in Sigil UI: is the dangerous DELETE being the top item in the book browser context menu. (I have avoided this, but...)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The one thing that has always bothered me in Sigil UI: is the dangerous DELETE being the top item in the book browser context menu. (I have avoided this, but...)
Well it's not THAT dangerous. You'd have to accidentally activate the "Delete" context action on a highlighted file (or files) in the Book Browser, then accidentally confirm that accidental deletion via the resulting--and highly visible--delete-confirmation dialog, and then save the epub after making those two hard-to-make-without-knowing-it mistakes before any real damage could occur. It's certainly no more dangerous than accidentally hitting the delete key with a file highlighted. "Whoops, better cancel that."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-04-2018 at 01:19 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Well it's not THAT dangerous. You'd have to accidentally activate the "Delete" context action on a highlighted file (or files) in the Book Browser, then accidentally confirm that accidental deletion via the resulting--and highly visible--delete-confirmation dialog, and then save the epub after making those two hard-to-make-without-knowing-it mistakes before any real damage could occur. It's certainly no more dangerous than accidentally hitting the delete key with a file highlighted. "Whoops, better cancel that."
True
Sigil isn't the only one to put Delete first. Just makes me wonder why it gets 'top billing' , when I use a number of the others more frequently
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

On the subject of Sigil's UI; I've been wondering about this since I first used Sigil:

Is there a keyboard way of giving the Book Browser panel keyboard focus. If not, something like Alt+Tab to cycle through the currently displayed panels (Book Browser, Code/Book View, Preview, Validation etc) would be nice. And, there is no visual indication of which panel has keyboard focus, changing the title bar background colour would be the obvious way.

@theducks - in an ideal world users would have control of where options are placed in menus. And to some degree what options even appear.

BR
Old 09-05-2018, 01:22 AM   #15
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
We're not going to "get rid of" any buttons from the F&R widget ...
Whew! Thank you. I am not enough of a power user to even understand the advanced options, so I always hide them and appreciate being able to toggle it away.

That said, I'd be curious if someone has the time to explain what the options mean: DotAll? Minimal Match? Auto-Tokenise?

The only one I understand is Wrap
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote