Notices

Old 02-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #46
jarhead
Enthusiast
jarhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi 3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. Sounds right. It's in the root directory of the USB-mounted drive, not in a subdirectory?

All I can suggest is that you try rebooting the device. If the update still doesn't show up, contact Kindle CS.
Yes, it's in the root. I will try rebooting and the next step will be calling the CS.
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #47
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Seems my question was a bit TL;DR. Are Kindle firmware updates, particularly for the K3, now done via 3G as well as the other methods, and if so when was the change? It wasn't always like that, in that they were restricted to Wifi and manual installation. I have a K3 that has got the latest firmware (3.4.2), but I have never connected it to Wifi and the last manual update that I did was version 3.3 a few years ago.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #48
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
Seems my question was a bit TL;DR. Are Kindle firmware updates, particularly for the K3, now done via 3G as well as the other methods, and if so when was the change? It wasn't always like that, in that they were restricted to Wifi and manual installation. I have a K3 that has got the latest firmware (3.4.2), but I have never connected it to Wifi and the last manual update that I did was version 3.3 a few years ago.
The 3.4.1 and 3.4.2 updates were small (3.4.1 only 80 KB, 3.4.2 2.094 MB) so updating via 3G was perfectly plausible.

I think the possibility always existed but may have been a last resort.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #49
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
The 3.4.1 and 3.4.2 updates were small (3.4.1 only 80 KB, 3.4.2 2.094 MB) so updating via 3G was perfectly plausible.

I think the possibility always existed but may have been a last resort.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it would seem so. I was wondering why I never received this email, so decided to double-check what firmware version I had with the aim of manually updating it. Lo and behold, I already had 3.4.2 installed and was a bit surprised that this was so.

Mind you, if you ever wanted to stick to a particular firmware update, now even just using 3G and USB isn't "safe" without resorting to a hack.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #50
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I got the email, I have several DX's (home, work, spare & one that's a pile of spare parts), all already on the latest software.

My spare - which doesn't normally have wireless turned on, ever, just has the battery topped up every 2 months - did the update.

My normal one - which has wireless turned on fairly often to download books - didn't update.

Haven't tried my work one yet.

Looks to me like they're just checking that old devices are still in use, wouldn't surprise me if the next stage - in a few months - is another email along the lines of "We haven't seen your Kindle for a long time, if we don't see it by xxx it'll be de-registered.". So my pile of parts will be of less use.

IMO, instead of stating the TYPE of Kindle in the email, they should have used the NAME, I can't be the only owner with more than one of the same model.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #51
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
My K5 updated. There was a message at the top of my amazon page.
I don't know if I got an email.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #52
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post

IMO, instead of stating the TYPE of Kindle in the email, they should have used the NAME, I can't be the only owner with more than one of the same model.
This.

I have 3 Kindle Touch's registered to my account, 'on loan' to family members a half continent away. I have no idea which triggered the latest email (the first one didn't even mention the model(s) involved).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:08 AM   #53
Carcyon
Carcyon began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
My K5 updated. There was a message at the top of my amazon page.
I don't know if I got an email.
Same here. This is getting a bit ridiculous. I only update my Gen 1 Paperwhite if they include the Bookerly Font into the update. If not I'll stay on my current one since I can add it myself and the newer firmware prevents this.
Carcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #54
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
My Paperwhite updated last night and the most noticeable adjustment is the font size and weight for the device. Anyway to make things a little bigger and bolder? It's jarring as I have my reading font quite large while the font for the device is so featherweight. Same issue with the dictionary but that's been around since the day I bought the PW. But now the whole device has joined the small font size of the dictionary.

Amazon, please, there are people who favor e-readers because we can't or don't want to cope with small font sizes anymore.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #55
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
My Paperwhite updated last night and the most noticeable adjustment is the font size and weight for the device. Anyway to make things a little bigger and bolder? It's jarring as I have my reading font quite large while the font for the device is so featherweight. Same issue with the dictionary but that's been around since the day I bought the PW. But now the whole device has joined the small font size of the dictionary.

Amazon, please, there are people who favor e-readers because we can't or don't want to cope with small font sizes anymore.
On your last line, I recommend sending feedback to Amazon.
I don't know if anyone from Amazon reads this forum.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #56
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yes, sometimes it really does pay to write to the manufacturer. Apple seems to be finally producing a small phone again; I wrote to them saying I didn't want to carry anything bigger than the 5, so I haven't bought one since. I suspect a number of people wrote and said this.

If enough people write to Amazon, they may notice too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #57
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I've decided to take my Paperwhite offline and keep it offline for good. I'll be updating my router next week and it will not even be possible for the Paperwhite to get online after I have a new router name and password. I'll just side load books with Calibre from this point forward.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #58
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
I have tried this update three times. Followed directions from the Amazon webpage.

It will.not.update.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
I have tried this update three times. Followed directions from the Amazon webpage.

It will.not.update.
I suggest you speak to Kindle Customer Service.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #60
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yes, sometimes it really does pay to write to the manufacturer. Apple seems to be finally producing a small phone again; I wrote to them saying I didn't want to carry anything bigger than the 5, so I haven't bought one since. I suspect a number of people wrote and said this.

If enough people write to Amazon, they may notice too.

http://www.teleread.com/slashdotters...option-please/
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, paperwhite, update