Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2022, 03:56 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Only my Kobo Touch (C version) ever had excessive ghosting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:18 AM   #17
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I set my Libra 2 to refresh every 64 pages, because there is no visible ghosting at normal reading distances. I have to put my nose right up to the screen in order to see it.
I have it set to do a full refresh on every page turn. And even that isn't enough as Kobo for some reason does not refresh the page after using the dictionary, which leaves the text unsharp. It's even worse if I have to look up several words on the same page.

It's not the ghosting, just that the text gets slightly unsharp after each page turn. Only a full refresh helps.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:46 AM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
I have it set to do a full refresh on every page turn. And even that isn't enough as Kobo for some reason does not refresh the page after using the dictionary, which leaves the text unsharp. It's even worse if I have to look up several words on the same page.

It's not the ghosting, just that the text gets slightly unsharp after each page turn. Only a full refresh helps.
Yes, I do the same.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:14 PM   #19
Aleron Ives
Guru
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Kobo for some reason does not refresh the page after using the dictionary, which leaves the text unsharp.
Using the dictionary forces a full refresh when you turn the page, but since you already refresh after every page turn, it doesn't make any difference in your case. I'm kind of surprised you can tolerate using an e-reader at all if you're that sensitive to text sharpness.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:44 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Using the dictionary forces a full refresh when you turn the page, but since you already refresh after every page turn, it doesn't make any difference in your case. I'm kind of surprised you can tolerate using an e-reader at all if you're that sensitive to text sharpness.
Maybe something is slightly off in kandwo's particular Kobo. Quoth mentions that his Kobo Touch "C" had ghosting issues, but mine never did. It may be the same with kandwo's Kobo (whatever model it is). We know that there are variations in screen quality within specific models.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:58 PM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Maybe something is slightly off in kandwo's particular Kobo. Quoth mentions that his Kobo Touch "C" had ghosting issues, but mine never did. It may be the same with kandwo's Kobo (whatever model it is). We know that there are variations in screen quality within specific models.
Kandwo is not talking about ghosting, but about text sharpness. They're different things. Text sharpness decreases slightly with every partial page refresh and is only restored with full refresh. This happens on all eink readers. Most people seem not to notice it, but some do, myself included. That was one reason I couldn't get used to a Nook - you can't have every page do a full refresh on Nooks. It bothered me enough that I didn't like to read on my Nook at all and eventually sold it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:55 AM   #22
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
By "using the dictionary" I mean long pressing a word within a book to access the pop up dictionary. I then tap the page outside of the pop up dictionary, it vanishes and... nothing. There is no full screen refresh when the pop up dictionary fades away. This leaves all the text on the page slightly unclear.

You can test this out yourself. If you repeat this process several times you can observe the text getting gradually worse.

Contrast this to pressing in the middle of a page in a book, which summons the upper and lower toolbars. Now tap in the middle again: the toolbars go away and there's a full refresh of the page. This is the behaviour I would like to see also when consulting the pop up dictionary function within a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kandwo is not talking about ghosting, but about text sharpness. They're different things. Text sharpness decreases slightly with every partial page refresh and is only restored with full refresh. This happens on all eink readers. Most people seem not to notice it, but some do, myself included. That was one reason I couldn't get used to a Nook - you can't have every page do a full refresh on Nooks. It bothered me enough that I didn't like to read on my Nook at all and eventually sold it.
Exactly!

I wouldn't mind the ghosting if it weren't for this. I actually find it quite cosy, as if I'm reading a paper book and can see some of the letters on the other side of the page shine through. But I can't stand unsharp text.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #23
Aleron Ives
Guru
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
By "using the dictionary" I mean long pressing a word within a book to access the pop up dictionary. I then tap the page outside of the pop up dictionary, it vanishes and... nothing.
Yes, this is the normal behaviour. When you turn the page, it will trigger a full refresh, but since you already force a full refresh for every page turn, it makes no difference to you.

Quote:
Contrast this to pressing in the middle of a page in a book, which summons the upper and lower toolbars. Now tap in the middle again: the toolbars go away and there's a full refresh of the page.
I agree that it would make more sense for the dictionary to trigger an immediate full refresh, but that's not how it works. Perhaps Kobo is trying to prevent multiple refreshes on the same page if you have to look up multiple words at a time.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kandwo is not talking about ghosting, but about text sharpness. They're different things. ...
Are you sure yhey are different things? I always thought that fhe blurriness was caused by ghosting (artifacts left from the previous page's words.)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:04 PM   #25
Aleron Ives
Guru

When I tap and hold a word to open the dictionary, I notice all the text on the rest of the page has a kind of pulsing effect, like it's being partially redrawn. There shouldn't be any ghosting, since the same letters are being drawn twice. Ghosting is caused by drawing new, different letters on top of old letters, but it's possible that this redraw is causing the decrease in sharpness that kandwo dislikes.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:57 PM   #26
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
This discussion prompted me to check my sttings for full refresh, thanks! In both the Kobo stock reader and KOReader, I have them set at every 6 'pages' which seems to work as a balance between keeping sharpness and sucking battery
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote