Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-21-2022, 08:37 AM   #1
Joydeck
Joydeck began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Is all the 32GB internal memory on Poke 3 available to the user?

I'm still using an old Nook NST but wish to use the large Aard-2 off-line dictionaries on my next eReader.

I read the following in a user review of the Onyx Poke 3. Is it true that a whopping 10GB of memory is unavailable to the user?

Quote:
Note, too, that the 32GB of storage on the Poke 3 has only 22GB of free space. I returned it.
Joydeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joydeck View Post
I'm still using an old Nook NST but wish to use the large Aard-2 off-line dictionaries on my next eReader.

I read the following in a user review of the Onyx Poke 3. Is it true that a whopping 10GB of memory is unavailable to the user?
Part of that 32GB is for the OS and the software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2022, 02:51 PM   #3
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Yes, I had around 24 GB available out of 32 GB on my Onyx Book Kon-Tiki 2 (it is an alternative version of Nova 3, and they all have similar firmwares)
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
It seems that one never gets the full capacity of memory claimed for a device or a card.

I just inserted a blank 32 GB micro SD card into a tablet today. It only has 29 GB of free space even though I have not put a single file on it yet and even though it does not have the OS of a tablet, phone or ereader preinstalled on it.

I think you will find that this is quite common. You never receive the fully capacity stated on a device or on a card. So if you need 32 GB of free space, you need to get a card or device that is rated as more than 32 GB.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:21 AM   #5
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Ah, yes, the old misconception of "MB vs MiB" comes in place as well. "Megabyte" (MB) is based on powers of 1000 and used for advertizing, "Mebibyte" is based on powers of 1024 used by PCs in terms of bytes.

The general formula is Actual_GiB = Advertized_GB*(1000/1024)^3 for Gigabyte scale (power of 2 for Megabyte, and power of 1 for KiloByte).

So, for example, a "512 GB" SSD advertised on a website has actually 476.84 GiB useful for computer.
32 GB becomes 29.80 GiB, and so on.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2022, 11:02 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Note, too, that the 32GB of storage on the Poke 3 has only 22GB of free space. I returned it.
Well, the solution is obviously to erase all the system software. You'll have access to 32 GB of storage for whatever you like (using EDL mode running out of ROM). Ok, so you won't have a functional device but you'll have all that storage!
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote