Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #1
Bonko
Bonko began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 3, Onyx Boox Note Air
Low-resolution on Poke 3

I thought that my problem must be easy to solve and I searched this forum and the github issues but could not find anything, so apologies if I missed something.

I installed Koreader via the github release on my Onyx Boox Poke 3. And the problem is that everything is very low-res, it looks like heavy dithering. And thus very bad for reading. Not anywhere near as sharp as anything else on the device.

Of course I disabled app whitening but that did not help either. I don't have this problem with any other third-party app like e.g. the kindle app.

One thing that I thought might cause this is when I first opened the app it said that it is assuming my device is a color e-ink device and that I could disable it in settings, which I did. But it did not help. It could be the case that this is just a setting not updated maybe?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I added a photo to show the problem. Compared to the build-in reader it is much more stark.
Bonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't see your photo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonko View Post
I thought that my problem must be easy to solve and I searched this forum and the github issues but could not find anything, so apologies if I missed something.

I installed Koreader via the github release on my Onyx Boox Poke 3. And the problem is that everything is very low-res, it looks like heavy dithering. And thus very bad for reading. Not anywhere near as sharp as anything else on the device.

Of course I disabled app whitening but that did not help either. I don't have this problem with any other third-party app like e.g. the kindle app.
See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=332125. Do what @Cellaris suggested. Disable all "optimizations". These are intended for android apps, which aren't optimized for e-ink devices, and would totally bork KOReader. If you optimize other apps uncheck the "system settings" for this app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonko View Post
One thing that I thought might cause this is when I first opened the app it said that it is assuming my device is a color e-ink device and that I could disable it in settings, which I did. But it did not help. It could be the case that this is just a setting not updated maybe?
That's normal. All certified android devices are color. There's no API to check if a device has e-ink screen. What we do is whitelist devices that have a working EPD driver (other than let the window manager to do its stuff automatically). The setting has nothing to do with your issue.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote