Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Rotating Book Sales

When you sell a book via Amazon or another vendor, I believe you can withdraw the book any time you want.

I'm working on a book that will be controversial. I've seen similar books on Amazon, but I want to play it safe and not get banned for publishing something that isn't politically correct.

I was thinking of testing the waters by selling the book through Amazon for one month, then withdrawing it and selling it via iBooks for a month, then just selling it on my website.

Have you ever heard of people playing these kinds of games, where they juggle books, selling them through one vendor or another for a period of time before withdrawing them?

Of course, there's probably no way to really know how long it would take to publicize a book, but merely having it listed on Amazon for a month should give it a fair amount of publicity.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:13 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Gosh, I think the vast majority of self-published books just disappear into the void. They don't get any publicity by virtue of being sold on Amazon.

Amazon's policies are fairly easy to suss out, and I don't see why withdrawing a book after a month would protect the publisher. Surely all sussing is done by bots, and uncovering violations (mostly have to do with underage individuals) is a matter of hours or days, not months?

Most e-books don't sell very well (though they used to, and at higher prices), but Apple sells only a fraction of what Amazon does, and sales off an author's website (well, apart from Mr King and Ms Rowling) tend to be a fraction of what Apple sells. Personally, I no longer try to sell direct, except for signed copies of print editions.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Moderator Notice
How is this related to ePub as an ebook format? Moved to Writers' Corner ("A place to discuss [...] (self-)publishing")
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
When you sell a book via Amazon or another vendor, I believe you can withdraw the book any time you want.

I'm working on a book that will be controversial. I've seen similar books on Amazon, but I want to play it safe and not get banned for publishing something that isn't politically correct.

I was thinking of testing the waters by selling the book through Amazon for one month, then withdrawing it and selling it via iBooks for a month, then just selling it on my website.

Have you ever heard of people playing these kinds of games, where they juggle books, selling them through one vendor or another for a period of time before withdrawing them?

Of course, there's probably no way to really know how long it would take to publicize a book, but merely having it listed on Amazon for a month should give it a fair amount of publicity.
You can publish any book you want on Amazon as long as either it is your own writing or in public domain with the exception of certain types of erotica. It doesn't have to be politically correct. Amazon does care about content except for the following.
Only copyright and trademark violations get pulled and possibly banned.
Oh and rape/beastiality/incest/necrophillia for titilation.

Oh and it is a 90 day contract with Amazon if you choose their select program.
And unless you choose select, you can put your book on both sites at once.

Perhaps if I might I have a recommendation for you.
You might try reading the terms of service on Amazon and Apple.
It will answer many of your questions.

Oh and by the way, rotating books like that is not a good idea. It makes you look like a one hit wonder.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
They don't get any publicity by virtue of being sold on Amazon.
Then where DO they get publicity? I thought Amazon was the biggest seller.

Quote:
Amazon's policies are fairly easy to suss out, and I don't see why withdrawing a book after a month would protect the publisher.
I'm not talking about violations. I'm more worried about third parties who might play games. For example, I've had problems with people hacking my websites, lying about me, etc. So I was just wondering about the possibility of someone playing games with Amazon, reporting you as "traitor," "terrorist," etc.

I know the chances of that happening are slim, but better safe than sorry.

Quote:
Most e-books don't sell very well (though they used to, and at higher prices), but Apple sells only a fraction of what Amazon does, and sales off an author's website (well, apart from Mr King and Ms Rowling) tend to be a fraction of what Apple sells. Personally, I no longer try to sell direct, except for signed copies of print editions.
I know it's hard to sell direct, but there's no harm in trying. I have an advantage in that I'm working on series of books, so I can easily plug other books in the series in a book I sell through Amazon.
Advert
Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #6
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Oh and by the way, rotating books like that is not a good idea. It makes you look like a one hit wonder.
That would obviously be the case if you followed that practice with all your books. I'm thinking more along the lines of publishing a few books and selling them through Amazon, THEN publishing a more controversial book and using the "rotating" strategy.

On another note, I have spotted a game of sorts on Amazon's website just a few days ago. The book involved wasn't rejected or anything, but it was quite interesting nevertheless.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That would obviously be the case if you followed that practice with all your books. I'm thinking more along the lines of publishing a few books and selling them through Amazon, THEN publishing a more controversial book and using the "rotating" strategy.

On another note, I have spotted a game of sorts on Amazon's website just a few days ago. The book involved wasn't rejected or anything, but it was quite interesting nevertheless.
Ok, before curiosity kills the cat, what are you considering controversial? Political, historical or something else? Both are sold on Amazon everyday.

Now before curiosity kills the other cat, what game?
Old 02-24-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Ok, before curiosity kills the cat, what are you considering controversial? Political, historical or something else? Both are sold on Amazon everyday.

Now before curiosity kills the other cat, what game?
I'm referring to a political topic, which is, ironically, why I can't answer your second question. But I can tell you from experience that there are indeed a lot of "games" being played behind the scenes. It pays to do your homework.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I'm referring to a political topic, which is, ironically, why I can't answer your second question. But I can tell you from experience that there are indeed a lot of "games" being played behind the scenes. It pays to do your homework.
What the bad reviews game?
The accuse the author of an agenda game?
The call other reviewers names game?

Seen all three and the first two mean nothing to Amazon and the third one can cause the reviewer to lose their reviewing privileges.

Like I said Amazon only cares about the content if it violates copyright, trademark or their erotic rules.
We are in the US. Amazon cannot afford to ban conversational (perceived) books due to Freedom of Speech.
If you are worried, use a nom de plume.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:09 AM   #10
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
It also pays not to believe everything you read on the Internet

I think the first thing you should do is publish your book and see whether any elaborate games of rotation etc. are necessary. I can't see any of the games you want to play as doing anyone any good, least of all you. Become a big name that can demand attention just by having your name on the cover and maybe such games might achieve something (not willing to guess what). Until then, my bet is that no one is going notice, nor care.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote