Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #1276
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loceka View Post
(along with the UTF8 auto-detection, which worked in the Kobo Glo btw)
What f/w was the Gli using? Remember that all the Kobo eReaders (save the two original ones) use the same basic f/w, with just minor differences for kernel and drivers.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:07 AM   #1277
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loceka View Post
Well thanks for all the answers!

As for the "View details" it requires 3 or 4 "clicks" to do it, which is a bit overkill just to see the full title.
A long press, a tap on the menu and another tap to dismiss it. How is a long press, tap a "Show full title" option and then another tap to dismiss it any quicker?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:50 AM   #1278
Loceka
Loceka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
A long press, a tap on the menu and another tap to dismiss it. How is a long press, tap a "Show full title" option and then another tap to dismiss it any quicker?
- Long press (or tap on "...")
- tap on "show details" (I don't have the "Show full title" entry)
- tap on "[+]" because the title displayed in the details is the same length as on a list
- tap on "OK" to close the title
- tap on "X" to exit the details

5 taps to show the title and be back to the list (and it doesn't work in the book manager, where it would be most useful).

Something similar to the dictionary use on a book would be nice (a long press on the book would display both the menu and a note at the bottom/top (dictionary-like) with the book details, with full title displayed.

Last edited by Loceka; 07-16-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Loceka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #1279
Loceka
Loceka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What f/w was the Glo using? Remember that all the Kobo eReaders (save the two original ones) use the same basic f/w, with just minor differences for kernel and drivers.
It stayed on firmware 2.4.0. I remembered the previous one (or one of the previous ones) had troubles reading text files, but this one was pretty bugless and I stuck to it (that and it was a bit painful to recompile the firmware with the multiple mods and dictionaries at every release)
Loceka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #1280
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
(heading) Words run together Only on my AURA2

B]Product[/B]: Aura2
Firmware: 4.23.15548
Plugins:
File types:KEPUB
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks:Sideloaded Calibre
On external SD:No
Steps to reproduce: Load book as KEPUB (EPUB does not have the issue) from Calibre
  1. CSS contains letterspacing: <value>;
Current result: Heading words run together
Workaround: comment out CSS lines with letterspacing: <value>;
Took me a while to figure out why only some books had the issue

Last edited by theducks; 09-04-2020 at 01:11 PM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #1281
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Steps to reproduce: Load book as KEPUB (EPUB does not have the issue) from Calibre
  1. CSS contains letterspacing: <value>;
Current result: Heading words run together
Workaround: comment out CSS lines with letterspacing: <value>;
Took me a while to figure out why only some books had the issue
Is the letterspacing value positive or negative? If it's negative, the affected words should be kerned closer together, meaning it's not a bug.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #1282
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Is the letterspacing value positive or negative? If it's negative, the affected words should be kerned closer together, meaning it's not a bug.
1) the number is Positive (and varies slightly across different books)
2) It looks good on other viewers (Calibre, Sigil) in EPUB
3) the KEPUB code (looking at the DEVICE books code) Looks the same as expected (The Kobo extended driver is NOT mangling).

This is what I see (KEPUB ONLY)
ChapterOne
ALeasonLearned
I tried using other spaces between words, no Joy
I don't care that it does not work (like older ADE or my Kindle), but that it works so wrong

LMBPN Publishing only seems to use these on Chapter Headings and Titles
Old 09-05-2020, 10:22 AM   #1283
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@theducks,

Is the letter-spacing value set in pixels? If so, I wonder if this is a similar problem to the one where text-indents don't work well in kepubs when set in absolute units? Have you tried setting it to a very small em-value?

FWIW, I never use letter-spacing myself. I always assume it's a crude attempt to simulate small-caps, so better to use font-variant or a small-caps font-family than letter-spacing - if the actual text content is suitably mixed case.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #1284
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@theducks,

Is the letter-spacing value set in pixels? If so, I wonder if this is a similar problem to the one where text-indents don't work well in kepubs when set in absolute units? Have you tried setting it to a very small em-value?

FWIW, I never use letter-spacing myself. I always assume it's a crude attempt to simulate small-caps, so better to use font-variant or a small-caps font-family than letter-spacing - if the actual text content is suitably mixed case.
I've seen it used in the last couple of months in chapter headings as @theducks is. I thought it worked, but, I think I removed it as it looked ugly.

But, playing with it in one of the test books I have, I added the following:

Code:
  <h4><b>Letter Spacing</b></h4>

<p>abcdefhijg - normal spacing.</p>
  <p class="letterspacing1pt">abcdefhijg - 1pt spacing.</p>
  <p class="letterspacing5pt">abcdefhijg - 5pt spacing.</p>
  <p class="letterspacing1px">abcdefhijg - 1px spacing.</p>
  <p class="letterspacing5px">abcdefhijg - 5px spacing.</p>
  <p class="letterspacing1em">abcdefhijg - 1em spacing.</p>
  <p class="letterspacing5em">abcdefhijg - 5em spacing.</p>
And in the stylesheet:
Code:
.letterspacing1pt {
  letter-spacing: 1pt;
}
.letterspacing5pt {
  letter-spacing: 5pt;
}
.letterspacing1px {
  letter-spacing: 1px;
}
.letterspacing5px {
  letter-spacing: 5px;
}
.letterspacing1em {
  letter-spacing: 1em;
}
.letterspacing5em {
  letter-spacing: 5em;
}
The in-word spacing seems to be OK, but, the space between the words appears to be the normal width of a space. Which makes it very hard to see where the word break is.

This was with the publisher font, and the size was just to make sure it all fit on one screen. And no patches.

And, yes, I do know that 5em is ridiculous, but, that was sort of the point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kepub-linespacing.png
Views:	212
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	181775  
Old 09-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #1285
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
@theducks,

here is the code I commented out. They are all em, just different amounts.
Code:
  /* letter-spacing: 0.15em; */
jackie
I had converted purchased books to KEPUB and had noticed this effect before. The books render fine in ADE (on Kobo)/Calibre/Sigil
IMHO the space should NOT get touched. Instead it seems to null out completely.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:00 PM   #1286
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The in-word spacing seems to be OK, but, the space between the words appears to be the normal width of a space. Which makes it very hard to see where the word break is.
Hmm, curious. Your screenshot suggests it's all working as it should, with all px, pt, em, doesn't it - at least with <p> tags?

Just to confuse matters - unless things have changed very recently - there seems to be a line in the kepub-book.css kepub override CSS in the fw.
Code:
body,p,div {letter-spacing: normal !important; }
I wonder what effect that's meant to have on a kepub using letter-spacing? It looks like it ought to forcibly ignore letter-spacing in <body>, <div>, <p> tags, but your tests suggest that's not the case.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #1287
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hmm, curious. Your screenshot suggests it's all working as it should, with all px, pt, em, doesn't it - at least with <p> tags?

Just to confuse matters - unless things have changed very recently - there seems to be a line in the kepub-book.css kepub override CSS in the fw.
Code:
I wonder what effect that's meant to have on a kepub using letter-spacing? It looks like it ought to forcibly ignore letter-spacing in <body>, <div>, <p> tags, but your tests suggest that's not the case.
I would think a patch could be created to fix that by removing !important.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #1288
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have found a bug with KePub. The page numbers for the full book are not correct and when changing the page, the page numbers are not updating correctly. The total number of pages is not correct and thus, the page number that shows what page you are on does not update correctly. So if anyone is using the total number of pages to judge how long the eBook is, that won't be correct.

The % read in the footer seems to be working and the page numbers for the chapter in the header are working correctly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #1289
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, my testing of kepubs suggest it is working. Except around spaces. And that makes it hard to see the separation between word.
Quote:
Code:
I can see that line in the current libnickel.so. Or at least in the extract I created by running strings.exe against it. There is one thing different about it compared to the other styles. There appears to be a leading space on the line. I wouldn't expect that to have an affect, but, it is different.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #1290
Marina Peli
Marina Peli began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Libra page refresh

Hi! I have Kobo Libra h20 and recently it has started to change pages in a weird way – when I turn the page it flashes all the rows instead of doing it fluently and fast as it did before, almost like it's refreshing rows before putting new letters. I thought it was somehow a Calibre problem but I tried doing a manual reset and opened a Kobo store book – it still does it almost every time it goes out of sleeping mode. After some time it goes away, then starts again. Does this happen to anyone else? I’m desperate at this point as it’s REALLY annoying to the eyes.
Marina Peli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app