Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
10" Android 2.1 Tablets Now Shipping

Well, at least at ebay if you do a search "10 android 2.1 tablet". These babies look a lot like the 7" MID devices that were selling for $140ish six weeks ago (they're as low as $49 now).

Not bad looking device and under $300 including US / Canada shipping. Yes, the devices are under-powered but it's the right operating system (2.1 Android, not 1.5) and fully touch enabled, etc, with a screen size that's big enough to make sense upgrading from a phone or netbook.

There appear to be two or three different models and a variety of vendors, some with pretty good track records.

I came pretty close to buying the 7" model (ended up springing for a Kobo instead -- different need but same budget) in May but both the OS revision and screen size held me back. I'd expect by the end of August the market will start looking very sweet -- perhaps with some real players out the door such as Asus.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This sounds excellent. Should be a real rival for the iPad, which is good for everyone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Well, at least at ebay if you do a search "10 android 2.1 tablet". These babies look a lot like the 7" MID devices that were selling for $140ish six weeks ago (they're as low as $49 now).
SWEET find! It does look awfully impressive for that price...

Click image for larger version

Name:	10 android 2.1 tablet.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	55237

It looks like an iPad (or what it should have been ). There's even a whole gallery of images of it here.

Quote:
Not bad looking device and under $300 including US / Canada shipping. Yes, the devices are under-powered but it's the right operating system (2.1 Android, not 1.5) and fully touch enabled, etc, with a screen size that's big enough to make sense upgrading from a phone or netbook.

There appear to be two or three different models and a variety of vendors, some with pretty good track records.

I came pretty close to buying the 7" model (ended up springing for a Kobo instead -- different need but same budget) in May but both the OS revision and screen size held me back. I'd expect by the end of August the market will start looking very sweet -- perhaps with some real players out the door such as Asus.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Is that the fabled A-Pad? http://www.fonearena.com/blog/16519/...hina-ipad.html
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
There's even a Windows 7 model featuring: Intel Atom450 160GB Web Cam.
Click image for larger version

Name:	388584286_o.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	55247
Wow, this thing is very versatile, but can it cut the grass (for those with lawns )

p.s. do you think they make an iOS4 model
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

the device looks great, and if I was looking for an iPad for a reader, then this may be my preferred device.

While at the moment I much prefer a reader with e-ink and smaller size, I can envision many uses for such a device. The specifications though, do not indicate (unless I have missed it) that it has GPRS, nor an accelerometer for auto-rotate.

Battery life also seems less than an iPad, and I am unsure what is meant by the term, "2.2” touch board,USB standard mouse". No mention of weight either.

For around AUD$340 delivered, it has a lot to commend it. I would love to hear some feedback on it.

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I suggest everyone take a deep breath and reconsider my comment: "the devices are under-powered ... by the end of August the market will start looking very sweet -- perhaps with some real players out the door such as Asus."

The fact that there are real live units for sale in this screen size is impressive. Three weeks from now they'll look better still. Once brand names start to appear things will really heat up. iPad is designed and manufactured by a 1st Tier company and works really well as is; none of these units will be an "iPad killer" in 2010. However this does set the stage for an imminent wave of credible Android tablets in time for end 2010 holiday buying season.

Woo-hoo!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
The real key is not Android 2.1 - but Android 2.2

Once that's out they really will be able to take on iPad.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post

Will that bring the Market to non-smartphone devices?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
Quote:
I suggest everyone take a deep breath and reconsider my comment: "the devices are under-powered ... by the end of August the market will start looking very sweet -- perhaps with some real players out the door such as Asus."

The fact that there are real live units for sale in this screen size is impressive. Three weeks from now they'll look better still. Once brand names start to appear things will really heat up. iPad is designed and manufactured by a 1st Tier company and works really well as is; none of these units will be an "iPad killer" in 2010. However this does set the stage for an imminent wave of credible Android tablets in time for end 2010 holiday buying season.

Woo-hoo!
Agreed - anyone who drops 459 on one of these devices when a proven iPad is just $41 more is insane. Give it some time and slates and tablets will be available.
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Will that bring the Market to non-smartphone devices?
It may not bring the Market - though that is VITAL - but it will bring Flash, and that's something the iPad doesn't have and isn't getting.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post

Actually, the real key will be Android 3, which will revamp Android's UI and will make it more palatable to a wider range of users.

I personally have fairly high expectations from Duarte, the Palm UI guy who was snatched by Google recently.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:46 AM   #13
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeaty View Post
Agreed - anyone who drops 459 on one of these devices when a proven iPad is just $41 more is insane. Give it some time and slates and tablets will be available.
Wait for samsung they will bring Ipad copies with android.
Their phones are rumored use a newer version of the processors used in Iphone 4.

Sadly their new Amoled manufacturing plant is not coming online till 2011
so we wont see any Amoled tablets till end of 2011. Now a 10inch Samoled
screen would be the thing to have.
I own a samsung galaxy s and its shocking how lite it is I expected it to be alot heavier
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I held off buying the Droid X for the Samsung Fascinate. The specs are close but the Super AOMLED and graphic processor sold me on the device. I did hear it was light but the review made it sound like it was a bad thing. He said it made it feel cheep.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:45 AM   #15
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I held off buying the Droid X for the Samsung Fascinate. The specs are close but the Super AOMLED and graphic processor sold me on the device. I did hear it was light but the review made it sound like it was a bad thing. He said it made it feel cheep.
I like the Samsung Galaxy S. The screen is impressive, to my eyes.

I wouldn't say the body feels cheap - it looks like the iPhone 3Gs, which is a good thing. IMO. TouchWiz is garish, but installing LauncherPro remedies this easily.

I feel it's probably the best phone overall on the market (because of the screen, mainly).

P.S. Samsung seems to be coming out with a 7" tablet version in a couple of months.

Last edited by Sonist; 07-17-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 inch, android, ipad alternative, tablet