Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
grabaclue
grabaclue began at the beginning.

Device: K2 US
Cannot uninstall screensaver hack

Help please! I'm trying to get to the 2.5 version, but the update fails because I've got the screensaver hack installed. I've tried several times to run the uninstaller, but it also fails. I seem to be stuck on version "2.0.4 (353720025) + SS 0.4"

How can I get the default files restored so that I can upgrade to 2.5?
grabaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabaclue View Post
Help please! I'm trying to get to the 2.5 version, but the update fails because I've got the screensaver hack installed. I've tried several times to run the uninstaller, but it also fails. I seem to be stuck on version "2.0.4 (353720025) + SS 0.4"

How can I get the default files restored so that I can upgrade to 2.5?
Make sure you use the uninstaller from this file:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=150

Then, you will have to google for "Update_kindle2_2.3.bin" and download that (from wherever you find it) and install it on your kindle. Then, once you're at 2.3 you can update to 2.5.2.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
grabaclue

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Make sure you use the uninstaller from this file:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=150

Then, you will have to google for "Update_kindle2_2.3.bin" and download that (from wherever you find it) and install it on your kindle. Then, once you're at 2.3 you can update to 2.5.2.
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that update failed also. I'm not particularly technical, but I do know how to grab the log file from the Kindle. Would it help to post it here?

Appreciate the help, I'm really stuck here!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabaclue View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that update failed also. I'm not particularly technical, but I do know how to grab the log file from the Kindle. Would it help to post it here?

Appreciate the help, I'm really stuck here!
When you say "failed" do you mean the update itself failed, or that it was successful but failed to remove the hack? If it failed, then a log would be useful.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
grabaclue

Quote:
When you say "failed" do you mean the update itself failed, or that it was successful but failed to remove the hack? If it failed, then a log would be useful.
The update itself is failing. I'm attaching the log file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip all_logs as of Tue Jun 22 10.10.17 GMT 2010.zip (241.8 KB, 411 views)
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
clarknova
Addict

How are you installing the update? Are you putting it on your kindle, and then going to Settings, Menu->Update Kindle?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
grabaclue

Quote:
How are you installing the update? Are you putting it on your kindle, and then going to Settings, Menu->Update Kindle?
Yes, exactly. Mid-way through the update, I get a message that the update has failed and then the Kindle reboots back to the previous version of the software with the screen-saver hack still in place.