Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
tuncaysu
tuncaysu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Daily Edition (PRS-900)
is it possible to buy at amazon, use in sony?

hi,

i noticed that some books i'd like to get are way cheaper in amazon. is there a way to buy from amazon, and then convert the file to a format readable by sony reader (daily edition)?

thanks for your comments.
tuncaysu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, tuncaysu.

You could download the "kindle for pc" app (free), buy the books, 'liberate' them, the convert with calibre to read on your sony.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311

You'll have to look for the liberating process.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
tuncaysu

thanks desertgrandma! is the 'liberating' process (i guess a codeword here for nasty things :-) ) 100% successful?

i just got my reader, and the choice depended on a lot of people's comments on forums like you.

for anybody curious, i can confirm that latex papers in pdf look great on the sony reader daily edition, the only feature missing being fixed zoom mode, so i can go on reading in zoom mode without buttons around.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaysu View Post
is the 'liberating' process 100% successful?
It is if the ebook is an AZW. Some Kindle ebooks use the TOPAZ ebook format, which isn't currently convertable to anything else. The easiest check is to download a sample and try unswindle.pyw - which will tell you if you have a TOPAZ ebook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
tuncaysu

thanks wallcraft!
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
tuncaysu

just got it working, bought soccernomics from amazon for 5$ cheaper than the sony store. yay!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
You can try BooksOnBoard.com. They sell books that work for the Sony Reader (no conversion needed). Currently, BooksOnBoard.com is selling Soccernomics for $9.98 while Amazon is $9.99. You save a penny LOL! I always check BooksOnBoard because they usually have prices competetive with Amazon, and sometimes lower than Amazon.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
tuncaysu

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure25 View Post
You can try BooksOnBoard.com. They sell books that work for the Sony Reader (no conversion needed). Currently, BooksOnBoard.com is selling Soccernomics for $9.98 while Amazon is $9.99. You save a penny LOL! I always check BooksOnBoard because they usually have prices competetive with Amazon, and sometimes lower than Amazon.
great info thanks!