Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Comments wanted on your ereader for book handling.

You've all seen ereader reviews about how good "this" ereader is, or what great features "that" ereader has.

But little is said about how well they can handle you book collections, librarys, folders, etc.

Rather than talk about ways to get around ebook file handling problems on whatever platform you are using I would like to hear from others about how thier ereader system works.

Lets stick to what comes with the reader, not other software that you use instead.

Remember, we don't want to turn this into "my readers better than yours" or "calibre is the only thong I use".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Sony PRS-600. I like it. I don't like the Sony software, except that it lets me sort them into "collections".

The software does work but it could be a lot better.

PRO: The PRS-600 lets you use "collections" to sort books on your reader.
PRO: You can see listings or collections in either a "list" view or thumbnails.

CON: Problems can occur if you move a book after you "import" or drag & drop books into the software.
CON: If you drag & drop a book directly to the reader or a SD card the reader can't place it in a "collection".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep It Simple - Brand, model, brief comment, PRO, CON
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Interesting.

There are comments about everything from ebook formats, to how fast the pages turn. From how big, to how small. From "gotta have an internet connection", to "who cares about that".

Do most ereaders give you no choice in how they are listed in your reader?

Interesting.
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
Lets stick to what comes with the reader, not other software that you use instead.
But not everyone uses what came with the reader Or else, the reader didn't come with anything

On my Sony, I have mostly used Calibre, and I think the tags make it very easy to manage and have collections. The Kindle does not have software and I have been finding it harder to stay organized and find things. What I am doing now that I have it a little bit loaded up (though not with everything yet) is using the option to sort by use, so that the three or four books I am primarily reading are always listed first. Right now, that's an English novel, a French novel, a short story collection, a set of readings for a course I am taking. Except for the course business, this is a typical load for me

My one annoyance is that Kindle seems to treat the dictionary like any other book and every time I look up a word, it moved the dictionary back up to the top...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
HorridRedDog
Addict

Interesting about the Kindle dictionary.

Can you easily look up words while reading? Can you just open the dictionary to look up a word of interest?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
Interesting about the Kindle dictionary.

Can you easily look up words while reading? Can you just open the dictionary to look up a word of interest?
It is easy to use the dictionary on the Kindle 2. While you are reading just use the the 5 way controller to select a word and a short definition will show up on the bottom of the screen. If you hit the enter button a longer definition will appear. You can open up the dictionary and search for a word of interest or read it like a normal book. I have attached some screen grabs to give you an idea how it works.

Note if you do not open up the expanded definition of a word the dictionary does not move to the top of your most recent read list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-12818.gif
Views:	401
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	43484   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-12819.gif
Views:	414
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	43485  

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 01-15-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
HorridRedDog
Addict

That definition has the same wording but a different structure as the definition in the Sony 600.

Some may denigrate a dictionary but I find them useful.

On a side note I just found out that my Sony has album art when looking up songs or playing them. Not needed, but a nice touch (pun intended).

So I say again - there are features that just arn't discussed.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
HorridRedDog
Addict

I just downloaded an audio book, and it too has the cover art.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
Celine2456
Celine2456 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I bought a PRS-600 and was happy for a short period of time. I have tried to buy a book on Reader Store but I cannot do it because I don't have the Reader Library installed on my computer. The reason??? because I have XP 64 bits and it would not install on that OS. I am very frustrated that they keep me from buying a book because they did not care to provide us with a XP 64 bits working Reader Library.
Celine2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine2456 View Post
I bought a PRS-600 and was happy for a short period of time. I have tried to buy a book on Reader Store but I cannot do it because I don't have the Reader Library installed on my computer. The reason??? because I have XP 64 bits and it would not install on that OS. I am very frustrated that they keep me from buying a book because they did not care to provide us with a XP 64 bits working Reader Library.
What happens when you try to install Reader Library? It works on other Windows 64-bit just fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Wow, how quick this thread got sidetracked to talking about dictionaries and problems with library managers that are on the PC rather than what the thread is supposed to be about.

Back on topic. I think the lBook has some nice feature that allow on board management of eBooks. It is modified from Jinke software which permits folders. Folders are a huge advantage in that they can allow custom design of how you want to arrange your books with no restrictions. They also allow management of large volumes of onboard eBooks since you only have to deal with one folder at a time.

The lBook additions to the standard Jinke include the ability to erase a book on the device itself and the ability to copy/move a book or an entire folder of books from the SD card to internal memory or vice versa. I only wish I could create the folders on the device itself and then be able to move files into them.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 AM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have a PRS 600 as well and like the collections ok. But I must ask why no subcollections.
This is hardly rocket science as they even has subdirectories on CPM machines way back in the 70's.
For the price you pay the software is pretty basic and Sony does not seem interested in improving it.
I recently bought my sister a little ipod look alike for $29 CAD. It has 4 inch color touch screen, plays movies, audiobooks, has txt ebook support and all the subdirectories one could want.

Not the best for ebooks but the firmware/software is much less Mickey Mouse than Sony's
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #12
LesleyO
Voracious Reader
LesleyO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Nothing much at all for the Kindles at this point, other than being able to search for title/author, but Amazon has said there is something coming in the first half of this year. What it is, we don't know!
LesleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I've got to give kudos to the Irex DR800 for book handling/folders.

PRO: You can create folders on the DR800 all day long, to include folders within folders within folders within folders....etc. You can create these folders anywhere within the DR800 (it comes with certain folders already in existence: Books, Personal, Digital Editions, etc.).

So, you can create folders with genre-specific titles and sub folders to show authors, etc.

The cool part is the two-way ability to access the books in these folders from the DR800. If your books are within the main Books or Digital Editions folder they can be accessed from the Irex's home page (to include sorting on Author, Title, Last Opened, Last Added).

Then, should you wish, you can access these folders via the SD card and you get a page that looks just like Windows Explorer window - all your folders show. You can drill down into any folder to find what you like.

Oh, and there's a third way, actually. You can use the Search function from the Home page or while in the Book folder that's accessed from the Home page.

Very PC-like.

CON: The only bad bit (which I don't find bad, actually) is that you can't create these folders from within the DR800. You have to use a PC. But, after the folders are made, it's drag and drop...

I've used a Sony PRS-600 and a Sony PRS-300. The collections were great to use. However, The Irex gives me way more ways to manipulate my book handling system.

YMMV.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #14
Celine2456
Celine2456 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
JSWolf... It just said it couldn't install on the OS I have on my computer
Anyway, later, when I bought my 3rd book I couldn't even send it to my PRS600 because it was DRM protected. So needless to say, I packed everything and returned it to Sony. I got my money back and bought a Kindle. I just love it.
Celine2456 is offline   Reply With Quote