Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
dsbruce
dsbruce began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Kobo ePub on Jetbook Lite?

Hi All!
I just ordered a Jetbook Lite from Newegg (thanks for the heads-up on the sale). I'm trying to figure out if I can purchase a book from Kobo and read it on the Jetbook Lite. I'm not sure I understand which ePubs will work and which won't. Is there something in particular I should look for? The site listed the Sony reader but was a bit vague.

Thanks!
dsbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Kobo is selling ePubs with Adobe DRM (encryption). If you want to read these on your jetBook you must first download them with Desktop Adobe Digital Editions and them strip the DRM, see Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
dsbruce
dsbruce began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks wallcraft. I was thinking if I downloaded the Kobo ePub to my desktop in the Adobe program that I would be all set. I understand now. Maybe I will stick to ereader.com for now!
dsbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
eeewww.....I just downloaded some free books from the kobo web site. On their site it says the epubs will work on the Aluratek Pro, which is about the same device as the JBL, from what I understand. Does that mean they'll work without tinkering? Has anyone tried it? I don't want to open Calibre right now, as it slows my whole computer down.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
eeewww.....I just downloaded some free books from the kobo web site. On their site it says the epubs will work on the Aluratek Pro, which is about the same device as the JBL, from what I understand. Does that mean they'll work without tinkering? Has anyone tried it? I don't want to open Calibre right now, as it slows my whole computer down.
The danger of reopening old threads is that the information in them can be out-dated. The Jetbooks and the Aluratek all support Adobe DRM these days which means that Kobo books should work fine on them. The only exception is the upcoming Jetbook Mini which basically will require any book to be converted to either text or .jb2 for it to work on the reader.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I knew there was some danger of that....but thanks for answering. I'll have to try to load the acsm file, which is supposedly epub.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The JBL with the 0.16e firmware can read files infected with the ADE DRM. This DRM
scam requires that you install the desktop version of ADE on your PC and connect
your reading device to your PC with the USB cable, so that it can make your device an
"Authorized device". Then it will allow you to use the desktop program to transfer your
infected files to your device.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for that explanation, Ken. It sounds like a lot of bother!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I have purhased Adobe DRM books from Kobobooks which read perfectly on my JB. Also, Overdrive Library and Borders' books can be used. I'm told the newest update also includes Barnes and Noble DRM, addding another source to purcahse from.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Maybe I'm missing something but I bought a Kobo epub as a test for my jetBook (non lite). When I increase the "zoom rate" in settings, the margins increase. By the time I get to where it is pleasantly readable for me ( one notch higher than on non drm epiubs converted with calibre), the margins are ridiculously large on each side.

Also, although I've read B&N has converted exclusively to epubs, this is not totally true (or totally complete). I also bought a test ebook there only a few days ago (they have no way to differentiate formats when buying), and it was a pdb file. This would be readable on the jetBook lite I am told, but it is not currently supported on the jetBook.

In this respect, my K3 is more than holding its own when I compare the two devices.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #11
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I encountered that also in a couple of epubs. Open in Calibre, and after telling to convert, go to page settings and remove the margins or set them for 1.0.
Then convert again and save..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote