Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #46
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
It seems like the 1.99$ fee will only be applicable if you get your book delivered via Whispernet!

Quote:
1-Click to order your Kindle Edition. Your purchase will be sent automatically and wirelessly to the Kindle via Amazon Whispernet. No cables, no computer, no syncing. If you send your purchase to an iPhone or iPod touch, it will be available in your Kindle for iPhone application.If you are outside a wireless coverage area, or are outside the U.S. and want to avoid international fees, select "Transfer via computer" when you Buy now with 1-Click. You can then download the Kindle Edition to a computer and transfer to your USB connected Kindle.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:54 AM   #47
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
On the other hand, you will be able to buy your books with your homeadress and home creditcard.

Oh, and what about the Kindle app?
Given the simple workaround (sending gift cards to yourself) and the country restrictions and higher prices: Why would anyone be interested to switch form the former process of purchasing directly in the US?
Only arguments for me would be a.) wireless download and b.) country specific content (German newspapers or magazines for example).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It seems like the 1.99$ fee will only be applicable if you get your book delivered via Whispernet!
So it is indeed a roaming charge, in that case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #49
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
ohmygoshohmygosh

Quote:
We are excited to now ship Kindle to Austria. Customers in Austria will enjoy:
Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute

Free Wireless: Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle. No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. See Coverage Map. See Wireless Terms and Conditions

Large Selection: Over 290,000 English-language books to choose from; plus U.S. and international newspapers and magazines

Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases are $11.99 to $13.99 (prices include VAT), unless marked otherwise. You'll also find many books for less - over 70,000 titles are priced under $5.99
I don't actually want a Kindle ... I want to read Kindle Books on my iPhone!!

*opens-iTunes-to-check-kindle-app*
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:01 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I need an old, broken-down, cheap iphone or ipod touch... Just so I can register it and then throw away
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 05:03 AM   #51
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So it is indeed a roaming charge, in that case.
I wonder if that charge is the real reason for prices being a minimum of $11.99 everywhere else, they have simply rolled the $1.99 into the price and then countries such as the uk that have potentially higher prices it is the extra amount on top of the $11.99 that is due to local taxes.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #52
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
No kindle app in my austrian ITS yet.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:07 AM   #53
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not really. Have you looked at the "roaming" charges for data on GSM networks? And don't forget that, in the EU, eBooks are liable for the full rate of VAT, which is anywhere from about 15% to 25%.
That makes sense for the Europe. But we only pay 5% tax.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:09 AM   #54
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I need an old, broken-down, cheap iphone or ipod touch... Just so I can register it and then throw away
You can't throw it away. You buy via your computer, but you can only download via WiFi or data plan to your Iphone/Ipod touch. So it must be in working order.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 AM   #55
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Oh, and what about the Kindle app?
I've asked at Spanish Apple Store Answer:
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #56
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I already did it, and I think I'm not going to change my country
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #57
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Slashgear says that the kindle will be shipped directly from the US so buyers will be responsible for shipping, import taxes and duty fees.
"A UK buyer, for instance, can expect $20.98 shipping and $45 in fees, bringing the total cost to $344.98."

Last edited by olis; 10-07-2009 at 05:34 AM.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #58
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Now it gets interesting

In the UK this is going to shake things up. I love my Sony 505, and my efforts at the moment are centred around justifying and importing a red 600. But $1.99 surcharge or not, this can only be good news for eBooks.

My big fear is that someone (Apple?) actually gets a tablet right, and these expensive eInk readers fall by the wayside, and our retinas are back to being fried alive. I think this move makes that less likely, and I'm stunned at the figures Amazon are quoting for Kindle editions versus dead tree versions.

Exciting times!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 AM   #59
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I've asked at Spanish Apple Store Answer:
You can buy US iTunes gift certificates (I bought them from a commercial provider, paid US 52.41 for US$ 50 face value), then you can download the Kindle app. And you also get your music much cheaper then in other countries, besides many things are only offered at US itunes.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #60
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
In the future, we plan to introduce a UK-centric Kindle experience, enabling you to purchase Kindle and Kindle books in sterling from our Amazon.co.uk site.
It anoys me the french website don't mentions such a thing.
The day amazon sell e-book on their french website, as ePub, and to non kindle owner, i'll think about buying books from them.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote