Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
lynt666
Enthusiast
lynt666 began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
COOL-er reader & calibre compatibility

Hello Everyone,

I currently have a sony prs 505 & use calibre. I love the calibre software but not so much my sony. I was wondering if anyone has used the cool-er reader with calibre & how it works if the reader you have access to the comments you put in meta files & if the folder system for searching with this device & calibre is good?

Can anyone help me out?

lynt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Sort of works. Calibre doesn't recognise the Cool-ER.

Cool-ER folders are created just like any other windows folder. The coolER appears as another storage device like a USB key.
Calibre will reformat files, update metadata etc, and save the files in your library directory. You then copy and paste into the Cool-ER.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Adding support for the COOL-er to calibre should be possible if you're willing to help out a little.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
lynt666
Enthusiast
lynt666 began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
i am willing but do not have the cool-er device yet i am looking into it as a possible replacement for my sony. my main issue with sony is that i keep losing my collections once a month & also i cannot have more than 800 books otherwise the devise keeps crashing. i am realy looking for a device that can hold 2000 books (about 2.5 gb) , a device that will transfer the comments we put in meta data of calibre & that will not take 45min after loading my 2000 books to it. i do not care to add some books & remove all the time. i want something that i download & basicaly stays there.

Any other suggestions ....
lynt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
not a problem

I am currently using Calibre with my Cool-er. Yes Calibre doesn't recognize the device specifically, but if you right click on a book and select save to disk, select only epub format (though you could use another option if you wanted) and then locate the Cool-er from the drop down list, it shows up as a external USB drive, named Cool-er (at least it does on Windows Vista). Then I save it to the My Docs folder. You can even select multiple books and save them to the device that way.

@Lynt666 I would probably wait to get a Cool-er until after the next software gen comes out for it. The device is great don't get me wrong, but it is still hiccuping (ie I had to send mine back cause it totally crashed, they did send me a new one though :-)

Transfer time on books seems resonably quick, though I have not tried sending over more than 50 books or so. I imagine a large collection would indeed take a bit.

Amy

Last edited by sassanik; 07-29-2009 at 07:46 PM.
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Kovid - what sort of help are you looking for?
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:53 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post
Kovid - what sort of help are you looking for?
I'd like to provide help, too. Got a Cool-ER.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:59 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
@Lynt666 I would probably wait to get a Cool-er until after the next software gen comes out for it. The device is great don't get me wrong, but it is still hiccuping (ie I had to send mine back cause it totally crashed, they did send me a new one though :-)
How well is the replacement Cool-er working for you?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynt666 View Post
i am willing but do not have the cool-er device yet i am looking into it as a possible replacement for my sony. my main issue with sony is that i keep losing my collections once a month & also i cannot have more than 800 books otherwise the devise keeps crashing. i am realy looking for a device that can hold 2000 books (about 2.5 gb) , a device that will transfer the comments we put in meta data of calibre & that will not take 45min after loading my 2000 books to it. i do not care to add some books & remove all the time. i want something that i download & basicaly stays there.

Any other suggestions ....

It's kind of funny I'm running into a lot of the same problems with my Sony PRS-505. I think it only works okay if you have less than 500 books on it. I hadn't heard that the Cool-er can handle more than 1000 files?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How well is the replacement Cool-er working for you?

So far it is happy and working fine currently. Give it a couple of weeks to see if I break it again. I am probably at the very heavy user end of the spectrum, which makes it more likely that I will have problems, in theory anyway.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
So far it is happy and working fine currently. Give it a couple of weeks to see if I break it again. I am probably at the very heavy user end of the spectrum, which makes it more likely that I will have problems, in theory anyway.

Amy
Being a heavy user is good for others as you will be able to put the Cool-er through it's paces and let us know how well it works. And that is good no know that your replacement is working well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
For getting the COOL-er supported I need the output of:

Code:
calibre-debug -d
Once with the device plugged in and detected by your computer and once without.

Also, if you could answer a few questions:

Does the Illiad allow you to put files in subdirectories?

Is there a main (root) directory that ebooks must be under or can you place them anywhere?

Does the Illiad create any supplementary files, these might be called something like book_name.mbp or book_name.dat?

Does the Illiad have some type of database file such as an xml file that holds metadata?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:53 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
For getting the COOL-er supported I need the output of:

Code:
calibre-debug -d
Once with the device plugged in and detected by your computer and once without.

Also, if you could answer a few questions:

Does the Illiad allow you to put files in subdirectories?

Is there a main (root) directory that ebooks must be under or can you place them anywhere?

Does the Illiad create any supplementary files, these might be called something like book_name.mbp or book_name.dat?

Does the Illiad have some type of database file such as an xml file that holds metadata?
Replace Illiad with Cool-ER on this post
Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Replace Illiad with Cool-ER on this post
Indeed. As you can tell the information for adding a device is all the same and I just copied and pasted without thinking.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Indeed. As you can tell the information for adding a device is all the same and I just copied and pasted without thinking.
That's quite all right! I'm magnaminous today.