Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-30-2005, 03:03 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Opera - free registration only today

I know most of you prefer Firefox nowadays, but in case you get tired of buggy extensions, check out this deal: Download.com is offering the full (ad-free) version of Opera for free, but only today!

For one day only, you can get an ad-free version of Opera. Simply e-mail registerme@opera.com to obtain a registration code. This offer is valid from 12 a.m. Tuesday, August 30 to 12 a.m. Wednesday, August 31 2005 (PDT).

http://www.download.com/Opera/3000-2....html?tag=excl
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:41 AM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Anyone know if this works for Mac/Linux as well? I wouldn't mind having a copy of Opera around, for testing XHTML and CSS in... But I refuse to install anything with ads on my computers...

I suppose I could try it myself, but I've got the whole day to wait and see if anyone knows. Plus, it's late. And I should be sleeping.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
lesliefranke
lesliefranke began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Anyone know if this works for Mac/Linux as well? I wouldn't mind having a copy of Opera around, for testing XHTML and CSS in... But I refuse to install anything with ads on my computers...

I suppose I could try it myself, but I've got the whole day to wait and see if anyone knows. Plus, it's late. And I should be sleeping.
Go to Opera's birthday page and request the key from there. I got a Windows, Mac, Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD registration codes.

Birthday Party Link
lesliefranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
That's cool! Maybe it's time to give Opera a chance. Thank you Leslie!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
lesliefranke
lesliefranke began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
That's cool! Maybe it's time to give Opera a chance. Thank you Leslie!
My thoughts exactly. Probably not enough to make me switch from Firefox but it is a nice browser that has been on the forefront of many browsing innovations. At least worth checking it out.
lesliefranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #6
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliefranke
It's getting utterly Slashdotted... So much for Opera servers.

Now I must wait for the /. effect to cool off... Must get keys before midnight...

Edit: Got keys! {edited out part about logging IP address - apparently it does allow multiple keys as long as your e-mails hold out}. Now I have three sets of keys.

O.o Apparently they don't feel like checking the e-mail addresses, either, so you can enter junk and get a key. Wow.

Opera itself is nice... But wow, does it suck on OSX. It crashes. On startup. 2/3 times. Run it once, it crashes. Hit the "Reopen" button on the "crash report" dialogue, and it crashes again. Hit the "Try Again" button on the crash dialogue, and it'll work. And it's very, very consistent. Thanks for the thought, Opera, but I'm sticking to my Safari...
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:04 AM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Editorial at Ars Technica:

Quote:
Could today's give-away be a prelude to a change in Opera licensing? I wouldn't be surprised to see the company eventually eliminate commercial versions of the desktop browsers. Opera's mobile products are an important, and dare I say, far more attractive part of their software line-up.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:22 AM   #8
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Woohoo, got home from work, and there were my reg codes waiting for me

Now to see if Firefox has any competition...

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:50 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I installed it on Win XP and so far it looks great! Will tell you in a week if it has a chance against Firefox.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote