Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Sony Premium Leather Cover (505) Folded Back?

I have the standard cover that came with the PRS-505 I just bought. When I had my PRS-500 I LOVED the brown premium leather cover that I bought from SonyStyle, and it was well-worn but still holding up two years later when I traded it in.

I've noticed that the stock cover on the PRS-505 folded back leaves the bottom flap uneven with the top flap. This has caused me to almost drop my Reader a few times because I'm so used to my old cover where the flaps were even.

What's the Sony Premium Leather Cover (the one with pockets in the back) like folded? Is it even or does it have the bottom flap sticking out more than the top flap?

(Sorry if this has been asked before, I did some digging but didn't find it)
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The Sony Premium Leather Cover does not fold back well. You have to really force it and in doing so may damage the spine. I don't think they made it with the intention of having it folded back.

I rotate between using the standard cover and the M-Edge Executive cover.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I agree with grooks. I tried once to fold back my Sony leather cover. It felt like I was damaging it, and it didn't happen without significant force. I just don't do it.

Actually, after our three-day black out not too long ago, I bought the light-wedge cover. If it weren't for the extra weight, I'd leave it in that cover all the time. I like the way it folds under, and I like the extra bulk to hold onto with the lightwedge. Sort of feels like reading a think paperback, with the left-hand side curled under.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I've had my sony premium leather cover for about a year and it folds back fine, no damage. It did take a couple weeks of regular folding before it loosened up enough. The only major wear on it now is the inside corners are wearing away a bit, from where they rub when the cover is closed. Other than that it is in showroom condition.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I have the cover with the LightWedge built in and it fold back perfectly. That is how I read it. Since it has a separate piece to make the 'spine' rigid, it folds back so the edges are flush.

I know you asked about the regular cover but I thought this might help anyway.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Thanks for the feedback! I've been eyeballing the pink one (I'm such a girl )

I'll see if I can take a look at one a little closer in the store sometime.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
The leather Trifold cover (is it only available here in UK?) folds back on itself neatly and without damage.

David
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The tri-fold looked interesting (someone reviewed it a month or two ago). I looked and seems it is only available in the UK.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I agree with grooks. I tried once to fold back my Sony leather cover. It felt like I was damaging it, and it didn't happen without significant force. I just don't do it.

Actually, after our three-day black out not too long ago, I bought the light-wedge cover. If it weren't for the extra weight, I'd leave it in that cover all the time. I like the way it folds under, and I like the extra bulk to hold onto with the lightwedge. Sort of feels like reading a think paperback, with the left-hand side curled under.
To be clear, are your referring to the Sony Reader Digital Book Cover with Light? I have a couple of questions about this particular item.

Does the light wedge also fold back? Have you used regular batteries or rechargeable? Is ~ 38 hours of light a good approximation as Sony describes?
CJP
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #10
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
To be clear, are your referring to the Sony Reader Digital Book Cover with Light? I have a couple of questions about this particular item.

Does the light wedge also fold back? Have you used regular batteries or rechargeable? Is ~ 38 hours of light a good approximation as Sony describes?
CJP
THe OP was about the regular Deluxe cover, the not the LightWedge one.

In regards to your question, the wedge does not flip around to the back. It does flip off to the side if you hold the cover like a regular book.

I do know that Sony recommends rechargeables on the site so they should be fine. I am unsure of the battery life as I am still on my original batteries it shipped with and have only used the light for probably 8-10 hours total.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post

CJP
Looks like revfish pretty much covered everything. Yes, I was referring to Sony's "book cover with light". Sorry if it sounded like I was saying the wedge "folded under", too.

When I've got my Sony Reader in this cover, and I'm using the light, I fold the top cover under. If I'm not using the light, I hold it like a hardback (not folded under), with the light wedge flipped off the Reader (lying against on the top cover).

Actually, the cover came with the wedge wrapped in a protective envelope of a light-weight foamlike material. I keep that envelope on the wedge when I'm not using it. I've read in more than one place that the wedge scratches easily, and I want to protect it from scratches. I find even small dust-specks on it distracting when using the light, so I don't want anything permanent like a scratch to drive me crazy!

And like revfish, I haven't used it long enough to drain the original batteries that came with it. I've probably used it about 15 hours so far. And I do try to leave it on the dimmer setting, when lighting allows it. I'm expecting to use rechargables when the ones that came with it are drained.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster

I am unhappy about one thing with my wedge. There seemed to be an imperfection in the screen side of the wedge near the bottom right corner. It wasn't in the text area, so I wasn't worried about it. It seems that the imperfection has worn a spot on my Reader's screen in that location. Should I drive the 40 min to the nearest Sony Store and see if there is anything that can be done or am I just screwed?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #13
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Looks like revfish pretty much covered everything. Yes, I was referring to Sony's "book cover with light". Sorry if it sounded like I was saying the wedge "folded under", too.

When I've got my Sony Reader in this cover, and I'm using the light, I fold the top cover under. If I'm not using the light, I hold it like a hardback (not folded under), with the light wedge flipped off the Reader (lying against on the top cover).

Thanks! You described it well. And it makes good sense to read with the cover and light wedge as you indicated. I just had some questions - so no, you did not mislead me. Your suggestion about the foam as protector is noted! Thanks again!
CJP
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #14
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I've been eyeballing the pink one (I'm such a girl )

I'll see if I can take a look at one a little closer in the store sometime.
LOL! Same here. I bought the pink cover same time I bought my 505. I didn't like the masculine tan-brown color of the cover it came with.

So, I got the girlie pink one and I am glad I did. You'll like it, it's very nice.
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote