Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #31
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
Doesn't surprise me that you haven't received email notification of shipping yet. If they do it anything like they did with my Aura HD order in April, even if they did ship Aura's today the email won't go out for a couple of days. My Aura HD arrived on April 19 and I got the email of shipping the same day about 90 minutes before it was delivered, it had obviously been shipped a couple of days prior to that, they were just slow in sending the shipping email.
How much time did it takes?
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #32
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Has anybody seen the new Kobo Aura (not HD) in the flesh? I'm curious about whether the new touch screen has more glare than the old one, and how bad the glare off the bezel (which is now made of the same material as the touch screen, and flush with it) is? Thanks!
That was my exact question on Page 1! It's the main thing I'm just curious about.

I don't think anything about the Aura will tempt me to buy it though even if it doesn't have any extra glare, especially since it's a capacitive screen and my skin just doesn't play nice with those.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #33
SWCaffeinated
Enthusiast
SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Way Too Many Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
Has anyone had notice that their Aura has shipped out? I pre-ordered and supposedly they were supposed to start shipping today, but I haven't gotten any notification yet

Mary
I just got a shipping confirmation for my Aura order about an hour ago.
SWCaffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo Aura and calibre

As it seems the new Aura is being sent out, a couple of comments about it and calibre.

Last week I added the device ids for the Aura to the KOBOTOUCH driver in calibre. This means calibre will recognise the device and connect to it using the KOBOTOUCH driver. But, as I don't know exactly what firmware version it is using, the driver will probably show an error about newer firmware. Until the firmware version is updated in the driver, you can open the driver configuration and check the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. This will allow you to use calibre with the Aura. When you do this, I recommend that you uncheck the cover uploading options.

The obvious question here is: How safe is doing this?

Very. While I do not have a Kobo Aura to test calibre with, I am part of the Kobo firmware beta testing group. This allows me to test calibre with the firmware before it is released. And make any changes that are needed. The next firmware has one change that affects the calibre driver, and that is the reason for recommending you uncheck the cover options. Leaving them checked won't harm anything, it just won't do anything useful. As soon as I know the actual firmware version number that is on the device, I will check the changes for this into calibre. These changes have already been made available to the firmware beta testing group.

As well as the above, when the Aura was announced, the first thing I asked of Kobo was would it use the same firmware as the other devices. The answer was yes. They also told me the device ids needed.

Lastly, when someone does receive an Aura, could you please post the version information? This is on the "Device Information" page of the settings. I would like all the details from the "Software version" line.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #35
Msan
Enthusiast
Msan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Glow, iPad3
I was just looking at the FCC documents for the new Aura and can't seem to see/find an internal microSD slot any more, just the external one
Msan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #36
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Lastly, when someone does receive an Aura, could you please post the version information? This is on the "Device Information" page of the settings. I would like all the details from the "Software version" line.
Thanks for doing all of this davidfor. Kobo should send you a free Aura.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #37
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
I cant wait for all you guinea pigs to get you kobo as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msan View Post
I was just looking at the FCC documents for the new Aura and can't seem to see/find an internal microSD slot any more, just the external one
So what?? Does it really matter??
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #38
Msan
Enthusiast
Msan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Glow, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
So what?? Does it really matter??
It was nice having the internal slot, as you could easily save and fix your reader if anything went wrong.. It was also nice being able to upgrade the memory without using the external slot.. Not a big deal, but a nice to have
Msan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #39
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepanda View Post
And you really wonder why there a so few girls in tech communities
I don't know about that there seems to be a lot of woman with E-readers in the community. That may drive some woman away but I would like to think they are not weak and could handle a bit of flack.

However on the other hand its still not a very nice comment to be made from the other guy.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #40
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran006 View Post
I don't know about that there seems to be a lot of woman with E-readers in the community. That may drive some woman away but I would like to think they are not weak and could handle a bit of flack.

However on the other hand its still not a very nice comment to be made from the other guy.
It is a pretty common saying and generally directed at men in a teasing manner and not meant to cast aspersions on women. I've never found it to be offensive, but probably some do.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #41
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msan View Post
Yes it does. It's right on the specs page.

Storage
4 GB
Option to expand up to 32 GB with a microSD card

And of COURSE it matters.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #42
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Booklover6: Msan was referring to an INTERNAL SD card, not the external one.

The original Touch had flash internally, but since then all devices have had an internal SD card. People like that as a) it allows them to replace the 2 (or 4GB) internal one by a larger one b) In case of a an inadvertent bricking of the device via some modification, it allows for recovery by removing the internal SD card and overwriting it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #43
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Got a second confirmation of my order :| Still no shipping info yet.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #44
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes it does. It's right on the specs page.

Storage
4 GB
Option to expand up to 32 GB with a microSD card

And of COURSE it matters.
He's referring to an internal SD card slot; e.g. the main memory being replaceable, not the external slot that the Kobo Glo, Aura and Aura HD have.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #45
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Ok, I stand corrected. I knew of the change, but I thought he was talking about the external.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote