Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #196
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Claire: Unfortunately, it looks more and more like the Waterstones devices are making use of the new screensavers module implemented in 5.3.0...
I bet they are. Now it's clear what custom_screensavers are from Amazon's point of view and why there is pulling of these screensavers from Amazon server.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #197
robberknight
robberknight began at the beginning.

Device: Cray XK7
Hi,

I have installed the ScreenSavers Hack successfully on my PW. I want to use it a bit differently than intended: I want my PW to always show the current weather forecast when in standby.

I have added a small script to crontab which is called every hour. The script uses curl to download the weather forecast as png from my server. It stores it directly in /mnt/us/linkss/screensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png.

To update the picture while the device is in standby I rewrite the screen with eips.

But currently I don't know how to find out that I'm in standby or not. So the screen is overwritten even when I'm reading. Duh

Can anybody tell me how to find out if the screensaver is active or not?

Thanks a lot.
robberknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #198
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robberknight View Post
Can anybody tell me how to find out if the screensaver is active or not?
Code:
lipc-get-prop -s com.lab126.powerd state
Will output active or screenSaver.

You may also want to listen for events of enabling/disabling screensaver.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #199
robberknight
robberknight began at the beginning.

Device: Cray XK7
Thanks for the quick answer. Works like a charm!
robberknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #200
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I had jail broken the kindle but then updated so I'm out of it for a while. But what makes me antsy is that on their kindle page, amazon showed a paper white with the whole screen being the book cover!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #201
brainzz
brainzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5 (Kindle touch)
Unhappy Update your Kindle - grayed out

[Windows 7]
Hello,
The menu option "Update Your Kindle" grayed out while trying out the screensaver hack.

All images are png with 600x800 resolution placed in the linkss/screensavers folder (only 30 files,not 100 or more..though that does not matter)

Device Info shows 5.1.1 as the version.

I installed the python bin and then the linkss bin..

Then i placed the images and did a full restart.

The images did not take, but now the update option is also grayed out.

Could you tell me where i must have gone wrong, and what i can do to correct this ?

Thanks,
~aki

Last edited by brainzz; 12-01-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: OS was not mentioned
brainzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #202
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainzz View Post
Then i placed the images and did a full restart.
^ - ^ - ^ - ^ - ^ -
Could you tell me where i must have gone wrong, and what i can do to correct this ?

Thanks,
~aki
Right about there.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #203
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Right about there.
I thought that's what you're supposed to do... I must be confused, then...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #204
brainzz
brainzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5 (Kindle touch)
Exclamation ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Right about there.
This is what i did..
----
If you simply want to use a set of custom screensavers, like usual, keep on reading .

To change your custom screensavers, plug your Kindle to your computer via USB, and upload them to the linkss/screensavers folder that has been created by the hack. You'll have to restart your Kindle in order to take your new screensavers into account and prevent the framework from going crazy. To that effect, you can either use the autoreboot feature, or simply do a full restart of your Kindle.

A small reminder of the file format & size you have to use:
One the Touch: PNG files, 600x800. Grayscale if possible, but color works too (you can even play with an alpha channel if you like).
One the PaperWhite: PNG files, 758x1024. Grayscale if possible, but color works too (you can even play with an alpha channel if you like).
You NEED to follow these directives: non-PNG files will be discarded by the hack, and broken files or files in the wrong resolution will confuse the framework and trigger weird issues.
---

Could you please elaborate what has gone wrong?
Thanks,
~aki
brainzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #205
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Thank you very much, this works great on my Paperwhite
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #206
Raye
Raye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It doesn't work on my case too.

Here is what I done:

1. jailbreak the device

2. updated kindle-python-0.2.N

3. updated kindle-linkss-0.6.N

4. put PNG files, 758x1024. Grayscale to linkss/screensavers/

But no luck. It shows original screensavers

I attached a file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rei.png
Views:	1379
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	97302  
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #207
snahfu
snahfu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
just tried it with the lastest jailbreak

same problem..
snahfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #208
Niklz
Niklz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Niklz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Niklz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Niklz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Niklz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Niklz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Niklz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Niklz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Niklz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Niklz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Niklz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raye View Post
It doesn't work on my case too.

Here is what I done:

1. jailbreak the device

2. updated kindle-python-0.2.N

3. updated kindle-linkss-0.6.N

4. put PNG files, 758x1024. Grayscale to linkss/screensavers/

But no luck. It shows original screensavers

I attached a file.
To use the autoreboot feature: Just drop a blank file named reboot in the linkss folder (by copying and renaming the already existing "autoreboot" blank file, for example), and your Kindle will do a quick reboot 10s after you've unplugged it (there's minimal visual feedback during that time, just wait until your list of books reappear)!

If you want to randomize the sequence in which your screensavers will be shown, create a blank file named random in the linkss folder (right alongside the "auto" file), and then do a full restart of your Kindle! This will shuffle your screensavers around on each boot.

In addition to this, you can also shuffle your screensavers each time a framework restart is triggered through the autoreboot feature. Be advised that this may significantly (a few dozen of seconds) delay the framework restart procedure, depending on the number of screensavers you're using. To enable this feature, create a blank file named shuffle in the linkss folder (right alongside the "auto" file), and then restart your Kindle (either through the autoreboot feature, or a full restart).
Niklz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #209
snahfu
snahfu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
still no go how about you?
snahfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #210
dhdk
dhdk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (5.3.0 - Waterstones)
Smile Waterstones Screensaver Removal

Hi, I also have a Waterstones Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.0 with jailbreak and the screensaver hack installed. I have successfully updated the Kindle (can see the linkss folder etc, but am still getting the Waterstones screensaver.

Did you manage to get the custom screensavers working with this setup?
dhdk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch