Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #241
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Skydog, can you post a picture, and maybe even upload one to amazon.com as a customer product pic?
(Yeah, I'm done being nice!)

Also, a comparison photo maybe?
Unfortunately, I cannot at the moment. I am "on the road" having left shortly after the PW unveiling. I will not be near my photography gear, or PWs for a couple of weeks.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #242
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Today my replacement arrived, in the same black PW box as my original. While it does not contain obvious blotches of different colors, the entire screen is.... GREEN! With less contrast to boot.
Yikes. That really is pathetic.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #243
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
So, I just almost fell off my couch (figure of speech, so, no, I did not drop them). I turned on the replacement PW and the original one and held them side by side, when I noticed blue and pink shading, which I had NEVER had before. I figured it'd be the crappy first one that had all kinds of things wrong with it, but it was the replacement. It appeared out of nowhere and I would have thought I'm imagining things, if I did not have the other one to compare it with. I read on it for hours last night with it being at least colorless. This is bad news, because it means that really any device can start showing colored patches even if it seems fine at first.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #244
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
So, I just almost fell off my couch (figure of speech, so, no, I did not drop them). I turned on the replacement PW and the original one and held them side by side, when I noticed blue and pink shading, which I had NEVER had before. I figured it'd be the crappy first one that had all kinds of things wrong with it, but it was the replacement. It appeared out of nowhere and I would have thought I'm imagining things, if I did not have the other one to compare it with. I read on it for hours last night with it being at least colorless. This is bad news, because it means that really any device can start showing colored patches even if it seems fine at first.
Yep, sounds like mine. It was fine for the first week, but now I'm noticing the colored patches.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #245
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
That's exactly what has happened to mine, but then it went away again. Crazy.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #246
jswinden
Nameless Being

I was just trying to read a bit on my replacement. The blue green hue is getting worse. Not so much blotching, but blue green all over making reading difficult. WTPW Amazon! The shadow of blue green is consistent mostly and covers the entire screen. Text is difficult to see well looking when through this cloud. Hey, maybe that's why they renamed Archive to Cloud! I personally think Amazon needs to rename the PW as the Kindle Cataract.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #247
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
So now we have hues problem appearing on units that didn't have them. Oye. This has to be temp or curing related?

I know on my K4S when it's cold it has a greenish tint to the background. Yuck. No problem like that on the K4B and yes it is cold here now. 38 degrees and frost advisory out.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #248
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I was just trying to read a bit on my replacement. The blue green hue is getting worse. Not so much blotching, but blue green all over making reading difficult. WTPW Amazon! The shadow of blue green is consistent mostly and covers the entire screen. Text is difficult to see well looking when through this cloud. Hey, maybe that's why they renamed Archive to Cloud! I personally think Amazon needs to rename the PW as the Kindle Cataract.
With all due respect to Amazon, I think they need to make some serious changes to their manufacturing.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #249
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #250
xendula
eBookworm

My K4S never changed color.

Darn it. It can't even be a fluke, because it's not just one or two devices. And here I was thinking that at least I did not have funky colors on my screens!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #251
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Just for reference, it would be useful if you would identify which PW model you are talking about: wifi or 3G. My guess is that wifi out-sells 3G and so maybe fresh stock (without all these issues) will appear sooner.

I have 3G and plan to wait a bit before requesting an exchange (and I'll do it when I'm feeling lucky <g>). Mine is not so bad that I can't read normally, but I don't think I'll ever be able to ignore the soap bubble colors completely, even though they are not at all saturated (this assumes the screen never heals itself as some have reported). For $190 I expect it to be better. I am okay with the 'dark blooms', that never bothered me.

This is one time I wish Amazon would wait to ship a replacement until they have solved the production issues. It's a waste of everybody's time otherwise.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-10-2012 at 12:36 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #252
xendula
eBookworm

Tomsem, the two in the picture are wifi SO units. The third one I received is not in the picture, and since it does not even turn on and has a repair notice ghosted on the screen, I can't know for sure what it is, but it was listed as Wifi as well.
I'm getting a 3G and a Wifi tomorrow, so I will report back how the replacements are. I really just want one out of the batch that engadget received... you know, the one where you could not even tell where the light source was coming from!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #253
jswinden
Nameless Being

My replacement is a 3G.

With the light at 24 you can really see the faint pink blotches scattered about. But 24 is too high and bright to read. At 14 the green shadow is dominant over most of the screen, especially the upper 2/3. The shadow is obscuring the text quite a bit. Below 14 and it quickly gets too dark and shadowy to read.

I had a Fire for a few months but I didn't like the Kindle app on it. It was pretty featureless. Maybe they have improved it in the past 6 months. Also a bit heavy to hold. Plus I really don't like Android. the apps mostly sucked. So I sold it and got an iPod 3. That of course is too big and heavy to hold, but I use it for running apps I need and it stays in a tilt up case on my desk. Reading is great, but again the Kindle app is only marginally better than the one on the Fire.

My Touch has a golden tan background. Not even a little bit grey. But it has really good contrast on the text. It is okay in brightly lit rooms and outside in daylight, but even with the MB clip on it still has a dark background, but no shadows are colored blotches. My former Kindles had more of a grey background and that was much more pleasing.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 AM   #254
Philz
Philz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Replacement still has the light column in the lower left but much fainter. Not as "blue" in hue to the lighting which makes it better. Also color changing background is tame (still some green-red but it's all along the vertical axis, and not as your read one line. Easily livable).

I'll see if it changes....

My FW version is Kindle 5.2.0 (1729740065), everyone else's exact build match up? Mine is Wi-Fi + 3G (paid for not free upgrade... grrr....

Sidenote anyone know where the option is to turn off Special offers (pay the $20?) want to see if mine had that given for free... (read other replacements did but you still have to turn if off).
Philz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #255
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Man I feel fortunate reading all these posts. My first KPW was pretty good, and only less than perfect in comparison to my second KPW.
setite is offline   Reply With Quote