Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Vox
Best Apps?

Hi everyone,
I am new to android, and wondering which apps are best for my vox. I want a good file manager for starters.

Secondly, is the built in reader good enough? Will ebooks NOT purchased through Kobo show up in indexes, listings, shelves, whatever? Does it have nighttime reading setting?

Opera seems to be best browsing software?

Best PDF reader?

Photo managing software?

Music managing software?

My main concern is demand on resources. I want to be able to listen to music while I read. I want to be able to browse reasonably trouble-free. What built-in apps need replacing, and what built-in apps work well enough without replacing. i am not one to overload my devices with apps I don't intend to use. I've read EVERY post that's been written over the past few days that's been written in the VOX thread, so I have an idea of what I need but still nothing concrete.

I dont' actually have the reader yet (I've hinted around enough that I assume I'm getting one for Christmas)! If not, I'll be buying one.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
GC

Last edited by GreatCanadian; 11-03-2011 at 09:19 AM.
GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Zabet
Zabet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I would love if anyone posting could also note where to get the app (since you can't access the official market on the vox). I am not the most tech savvy and am having the hardest time finding good apps that I can actually download on the vox.
Zabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

Good point. A concern of mine is whether or not it's a "safe" download. I am somewhat tech savvy, but I'm a new android user.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There are several threads already discussing apps. You may want to browse back a bit. The scary dangerous Android bit is also discussed . If you want a gentle introduction to apps, use the built in store included on the device.

Last edited by taming; 11-03-2011 at 10:11 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast

Yes as you say there are "several" threads" discussing apps. I was hoping I could get one single quick list for a pdf reader, music manager, photo manager, reader, and the others I mentioned above. Believe me, I have browsed and read EVERY SINGLE POST that's been written in the Vox forum over the past few days. And if anyone needs to know what I need to know they would have quite a bit of reading to find the most suitable app. A list here like:

Browser: Opera
Reader: Native app

Along those lines would be perfect.
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
I just posted a link to this but in case you missed it: http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...pps-and-tools/

It has a list of essential apps with direct links. Hope you find what you want!
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. Of the reader software, which would you recommend? Also that link recommends Dolphin as a browser. Other posts here recommend against that. See my dilemna?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Options to chose different free apps are good not a dilemma and much better than no choice.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast

Well apparently choosing the recommended Dolphin over Opera would NOT be a good choice. All I asked was which would be the best reading app for example. Why not just answer the question or not post at all. I have stated that I am new to Android, and am looking for what the knowledgeable Android users would employ to browse, read, etc. Yes, I searched and found lists. There are dozens of file managers out there for example. I don't want to use all of them if someone could point me to which one would work best with the VOX. I'm sure eventually someone will come along with a straight answer.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry if we are not meeting your needs. Perhaps it is because the first question new users ask is often about apps and there are so many threads created about that. Perhaps folks who have been here for a bit longer (and let's face it, no one is an old hand with Vox yet) are giving new resources that have not already been shared.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Info on the Dolphin Problem here: http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com...rity-problems/
Old 11-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
Hi everyone,
I am new to android, and wondering which apps are best for my vox. I want a good file manager for starters.

Secondly, is the built in reader good enough? Will ebooks NOT purchased through Kobo show up in indexes, listings, shelves, whatever? Does it have nighttime reading setting?

Opera seems to be best browsing software?

Best PDF reader?

Photo managing software?

Music managing software?

My main concern is demand on resources. I want to be able to listen to music while I read. I want to be able to browse reasonably trouble-free. What built-in apps need replacing, and what built-in apps work well enough without replacing. i am not one to overload my devices with apps I don't intend to use. I've read EVERY post that's been written over the past few days that's been written in the VOX thread, so I have an idea of what I need but still nothing concrete.

I dont' actually have the reader yet (I've hinted around enough that I assume I'm getting one for Christmas)! If not, I'll be buying one.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
GC
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use music from the Vox in the background all the time, when reading mags and newspapers. I find that if you turn on AIRPLANE MODE and AUTOBRIGHT features, you are good for about 4 hours when only powered by the battery. Also, you can enjoy .wma files on your Vox, where somebody said they were not supported. Also, I suggest you get the App Pack zip file that another fellow (thank you!) put together on this forum...and install all of the apps found within. You will find an app that adds music effects, an equalizer, etc. This is a must download! Not only will it greatly enhance the sound envelope, but it also adds way more scope of volume than the Vox comes shipped with.

I don't find a reason when home, to not have the Vox plugged into the wall socket (with a lite weight extension cord) and in that mode---I can surf the net, have the screen at any light level, with of course music in the background, and not worry at all about battery drainage or taking another battery charge life cycle off the battery itself. You will not damage the Vox, (most laptop users leave their battery connected when they are also hooked in the house current) by doing so. You WILL though...add 3 years to the life cycle of your Vox battery!

Enjoy.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
For a reading app, I find Aldiko to be the best one because of the different ways you can sort your library and because if you use Calibre to organize your books on your computer, you can download your ebooks wirelessly using the Calibre server...
Thread about setting up Aldiko to work with Calibre server is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156125
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Set your permissions on the dropbox folder and you should be fine. I would appreciate it if you could supply a link that indicates this danger.