Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
An all-in-one device I could go for: the Matrix Watches EWatch

Yes, it does e-books. Sort of.

If it had a phone in it I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

The press release.

The Web site.

jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's a very silly idea
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Only in its size. If it was attached to the wrist, but had a larger screen, I think it would be worth checking out.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

The problem is, if it had a larger screen it would be too clumsy to wear. Really, the text part is silly. Now if you could carry around a 6" display that was fed wirelessly by the watch unit, that would be cool.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I've always been looking for a high tech watch that's nice looking (not bulky) as well.

I've tried 2 different "video watches". They've both been too big and have a crappy OS. Not to mention lack of support for real (divx, xvid, mp4, etc) video codecs. Perhaps someday when they aren't developed only by knockoff Chinese companies...

Here's a link to the latest one I've tried: http://www.chinavasion.com/product_i...2cb52dabc1b6e/
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I have a Casio calculator watch for shop emergencies, so I'm used to the bulk around my wrist. I'd go for this little device, its screen looks about the same size as the previous Nano's. Anyone tried it yet?
My bug would be to hold the wrist proned inward for long stints. The best position would be with the screen worn on the inside of the wrist and a clockwise 25degree tilt in the display. Outside this, anything's a torture. If they built it with a rotating screen, it would be even better.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Been there, done that ;-)

I've been an active user of a watch similar to what you are commenting:

Matsucom's OnHandPC (now defunct, there is info in http://www.pconhand.com).

It was really bulky (similar to a Casio G-shock), and boasted a 102x64 LCD.

It was programmable (it had a nice DOS clone for the 16-bit embedded processor it had, a Panasonic MN10L200 2Mhz chip). It had an SDK that used gcc. It was my first exposure to cross compiling toolchains (I managed to get a cross compiling environment in Linux, whereas the included toolchain was for Windows ;-).

I read some project gutenberg books in it (over a dozen), until my wife and my mother finally convinced me that "that wouldn't be good for my eyes". As a matter of fact, I don't think that it was so bad for the eyes, but finally, the joystick of the watch died, so...

The screen was a little less than 2 inches, but with the correct program and font, it was pleasant to read (8 lines of text, with a proportional font, it managed to have an average of 5 words per line, IIRC). I didn't distribute my reading app for lack of time (although I distributed a modified text reader that someone else did that I used at the beginning, along other apps I did for it, in http://www.nongnu.org/onhandpc-kit/ ; you can see screenshots in http://www.pconhand.com/software.asp ).

Really, those watches have a lot of "frame" around the screen. If the watch was only the visible screen without frame, it would be of normal size. Imagine one of those with e-ink :-o...

P.D.: The alternative was the fossil wristpda, also shown, but it flopped (battery problem, I think). The OnHand lasted on batteries about 1.5 months (or 3 if you put the "blank screensaver"), but the WristPDA had rechargeable batteries that lasted only days...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onhand.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	6348   Click image for larger version

Name:	wristpda.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	6349  
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
You were seeking for a wrist phone, nope?

http://www.wristdreams.com/archives/...i_w100_wr.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hyndai-w-100-wrist-phone.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	6350  
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
jasonkchapman
Guru

There you go. The Hyundai watch handles the Dick Tracy fetish. The Sony Reader tackles the Star Trek library. What's next?
Old 10-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm still waiting for the shoe phone to handle the Get Smart fetish.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm still waiting for the shoe phone.
You'll just get athelete's face that way.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
You'll just get athlete's face that way.
I thought you'd get gum in your hair or dog poo on your cheek.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
You'll just get athelete's face that way.

Get Smart used to be one of my favorite shows...

Athlete's face...

yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #14
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Dang it JasonKChapman, look what you've done! Put out Chinese spammer bait, that's what you've done!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't think it was when the thread originally ran, back in 2007... but it sure is now.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote