Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #76
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
The poll will be up shortly.

TGS, your final vote must have been bittersweet, since the other two books that had four votes each were ones you had originally nominated and seconded.
Indeed, which meant that I couldn't vote for them again to get them over the line. Still, engaging with Paradise Lost could be interesting.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:57 AM   #77
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I just hope we don't end up with a really long book as I don't think I can finish it in time
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #78
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Looks like most of them are monsters.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #79
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
The poll will be up shortly.

< snip! >

Vandy, I'm surprised that none of your nominations got seconded. I love War and Peace, but I've already read it. My last vote came down to a choice between The Tale of Genji or Leaves of Grass; it was like a coin toss deciding.
Hello, Sun Surfer. I did not have much hope for War and Peace and, Moby Dick given the ponderous amount of information in both works. I did carry hope for Leaves of Grass, however...

Regards,
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #80
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Hello, Sun Surfer. I did not have much hope for War and Peace and, Moby Dick given the ponderous amount of information in both works. I did carry hope for Leaves of Grass, however...

Regards,
Someday I'll reread War and Peace, but since we just did Anna Karenina I wasn't in the mood yet. I'll even reread Moby Dick. Once was enough for Bleak House, however.

I was hoping Magic Mountain would make it to the vote. I've meant to reread that one for years (decades) and this would have been the perfect kick in the skirt. I'll have to make it my beach read.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I know we keep going around in the same circles here, but Stephen King really isn't my idea of a "literary" author, no matter how prolix he is.

Again, the Potter Stewart test: I know it when I see it, and Stephen King ain't it. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be read and enjoyed, but I don't think reading King and his ilk is the purpose of a literary book club.
We'll have to disagree here. I think Paradise Lost is one heck of a tediously dull work. Milton is one heck of a bad writer. So why it was ever nominated 5 times, I do not know. But it was and we have to deal. But it won't win. So that's the good side.

Not all books from all authors are great works. But I do feel that The Stand is a very good work. I could have also nominated The Green Mile. That is also a very good book.

The question I have is why nominate a dull and tedious work such as Paradise Lost from a highly overrated author such as Milton?

I don't think a lot of King's other works are up to the literary standards of The Stand and The Green Mile though they are entertaining enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #82
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We'll have to disagree here. I think Paradise Lost is one heck of a tediously dull work. Milton is one heck of a bad writer. So why it was ever nominated 5 times, I do not know. But it was and we have to deal. But it won't win. So that's the good side.

h.
Lol. Oh my. Heaven to Betsy. Etc. Etc.
I actually hope that Paradise Lost wins, not that I have intention of reading it all, verse after verse. I will do a critical examen of some of the themes that are more actual and that interest me personally. Like, just to give an example, is woman necessary for man to achieve ... Obviously, it as as much relevant and interesting the dual problem. I will ask for guidance to some of the many critical essays that are available. Milton is a source of wisdom and knowledge. If it wins that would be a great occasion to learn something deep and useful.

Last edited by beppe; 06-27-2011 at 05:34 PM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #83
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Jon *is* the expert on which authors are good and which books are best to read. Just ask him...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #84
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
We don't really need a book club after all, we can just read what Jon suggests
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #85
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
A highly technical question. If we choose Paradise Lost in this vote does that mean we have had our poetry selection from the proposed list of genres?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #86
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
A highly technical question. If we choose Paradise Lost in this vote does that mean we have had our poetry selection from the proposed list of genres?
No, the rest of the months would stay the same. There may be overlap between categories sometimes.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, challenging, literary, literature, nominations