Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
epub to mobi toc missing

My Indesign epubs are cleaned up in notepad++ To make a mobi edition I just converted to mobi in calibre using default. Apart from a distorted cover page everything formats and TOC works fine.

However, I realised the ISBN ID was wrong and edited the epub in Sigil to change the ISBN and after the convert my TOC just says START only. My TOC has gone. Is it because Sigil created new folders inside the ePub?

Edit: My headings aren't heading 1, heading 2. They are chapter-heading, subheading, body-text etc. Will that have something to do with it.

Last edited by wannabee; 02-03-2011 at 07:26 PM.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
My Indesign epubs are cleaned up in notepad++ To make a mobi edition I just converted to mobi in calibre using default. Apart from a distorted cover page everything formats and TOC works fine.

However, I realised the ISBN ID was wrong and edited the epub in Sigil to change the ISBN and after the convert my TOC just says START only. My TOC has gone. Is it because Sigil created new folders inside the ePub?

Edit: My headings aren't heading 1, heading 2. They are chapter-heading, subheading, body-text etc. Will that have something to do with it.
Sigil builds a TOC differently (Uses H# tags) than Calibre does.
Sigil throws non-Header based TOC away and replaces it with one based upon headers found .
Usually, you can use a REGEX S+R in Sigil to Replace Calibre's markers with H tags.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Not a calibre problem.

This is a known Sigil issue. It will often dump professionally sold TOC (like yours) just by the simple act of opening then saving inside Sigil, you can read about it here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@the ducks. Suspected as much. But unedited Sigil epubs have all of my toc details in the toc editor. Then poof. No more toc. Still - i'm not knocking Sigil. It does stuff from HTML from scratch and welL. Just not so compatible with pre-existing tocs.
@dwanthny. Thanks for the lead. I'll edit in note pad from now.

Last edited by wannabee; 02-04-2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Spellin'
Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
@dwanthny. Thanks for the lead. I'll edit in note pad from now.
If I understand correctly if you ensure all of your TOC entries are enclosed by <h1> tags Sigil may work fine for you.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If I understand correctly if you ensure all of your TOC entries are enclosed by <h1> tags Sigil may work fine for you.
Yeah! But all the book are already produced for print by many different designers.
You know what? The people coming out of the design side of things from the 90's never used H# styles because it wasn't Mac. That's where I came from and obviously everyone who created the existing styles of these twenty one books.

H1 instead of chapter-heading is alien for old Mac guys like me just as visa versa for programmers. I still remember being told real computer users don't need a mouse.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I still remember being told real computer users don't need a mouse.
Wordstar and dot commands

IBM 5080 Graphics (CAD) terminals had a Tablet w/a 4buutton puck, "Dials" for setting ? (not used for our CBDS software). There was a brand new IBM PC (not XT) with 2 full height floppies (and what Mouse?) sitting on the next desk.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Wordstar and dot commands

IBM 5080 Graphics (CAD) terminals had a Tablet w/a 4buutton puck, "Dials" for setting ? (not used for our CBDS software). There was a brand new IBM PC (not XT) with 2 full height floppies (and what Mouse?) sitting on the next desk.
Hey! theducks. I used wordstar and supercalc on the very first portable (but really luggable) Osborn 1. It ran CPM o/s with a 5 inch green screen. It was the same size as a sewing machine. Nothing as cool as a 4 button puck! But still cool at home when no one had a home computer.