Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
ABC Amber Converter for Sony To Be Released Soon

I just got an email from Yernar Shambayev of the Process Text Group informing me that the ABC Amber Converter for Sony will be released soon as Freeware.

He did not detail what features would be in the new product.

Here is the link to the web site: http://www.processtext.com/index.html
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
jimmyzou
Connoisseur
jimmyzou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader; Kobo; Nook color
sounds attractive.
If they would release a product like various type of files to be converted to LRF, that's will be the greatest software for SOny reader. By now I'm using their chm2rtf, it's ok but not good enough.
jimmyzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I also have the ABC Amber CHM Converter and what I like about it is that you can convert CHM to many different formats -- RTF, HTML, DOC, TXT, PDF, PDB. I think there are about 20 available formats in all.

The freeware LIT converter has gotten a good workout here but the most used freeware converter from ABC Amber for me has been the Palm Converter as I had a large stock of PDB files that I have converted to the Sony Reader.

I have purchased quite a number of converters from them in the past and found them to be excellent value for the money. I should note for the record that I have no stake in the company and am just a customer.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Excellent! I've been waiting with bated breath to see what he comes up with.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:40 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Presumably this would be a program to convert from BBeB format to other formats, would it not? I'm not sure how useful that would actually be!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Depends on what, exactly it does, I suppose.

I'm still interested in seeing what that will be.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What I mean is that, for example, the Amber LIT converter convert from LIT to other formats; the Amber PDB converter converts from PDB to other formats, etc etc - I don't believe that any of them convert other formats to the "named" format, do they? What we'd all find useful would, I suspect, be the ability to convert to LRF from other formats, rather than convert LRF/LRS to other formats, wouldn't it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... rather than convert LRF/LRS to other formats, wouldn't it?
I can see circumstances where I might want to take a file out of one of the three BBeB formats, in which it might prove quite useful.

Everything else they have is so well done, I'm interested to see what they come up with here.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
For example, imagine if someone with another device wants to make use of the really nice Sony Reader MR book library. If it converts from .lrf to other formats, this would be a great way for them to get to share in the fun.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
For example, imagine if someone with another device wants to make use of the really nice Sony Reader MR book library. If it converts from .lrf to other formats, this would be a great way for them to get to share in the fun.
BTW I wonder what the powers that be at the Sony/Connect helm think about the MR book collection?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
BTW I wonder what the powers that be at the Sony/Connect helm think about the MR book collection?
I would hope they would think it is a good thing as it helps sell Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

In the past we've had reason to believe that they keep something of an eye on what goes on here, so whatever they think of it (and I agree with JSWolf there), they most likely at least know about it.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
In the past we've had reason to believe that they keep something of an eye on what goes on here, so whatever they think of it (and I agree with JSWolf there), they most likely at least know about it.
I would love Sony to advertise the "free" books available on MobileRead as it would do them quite a world of good. I know I'd love to advertise anything that would help sell more Readers that is not illegal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

I've specifically suggested to them -- at the Blogger's Day last September, and again at the Texas Book Festival, last October -- that is, to the Marketing folks that were running those things, that they use Project Gutenberg, et. al., as marketing points. "Put a sticker on the box," I said, "tell every person who picks the thing up that there are sources of free, PD books that will drop right onto this rascal and go to town."

I know that my personal experiences lead me to believe that this particular bit if information tends to raise people's opinions of the Reader when they hear it, and in fact makes them react more positively to the existence of the ConnStore if they know about the other first. I agree that it only makes sense to impress prospective customers with places they can get books to go on their nice new shiny-shiny.

In light of the fact that they haven't done any such thing, I can only conclude that there must be some arcane marketing or more likely corporate (possibly even publisher buy-in related) reason that keeps them from doing that.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Having free classic books floating about will certainly not hurt sales of newer works. And books formated for the reader could be seen as an incentive for PRS would be buyers!

As they say "They talk of me in bad, they talk of me in good but they still talk of me"
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote