Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Lightbulb Index of downloadable books added

We now have quite a number of "Sony Reader" books available for download from the Reader Book Uploads sub-forum, and it may be reaching the stage where people find it a little difficult to see what's there.

To help people see what's available to download, I've added an Index of Downloadable Books sticky thread to the forum, which lists all the available books, sorted by author. I'll keep this updated to reflect new uploads, at least on a weekly basis (holidays, etc, permitting!).

If you spot anything missing from the list, please add it in a message at the end of the thread - I'll make the changes, and then delete your message.

Sorry - the items in this index are not hyperlinks to the appropriate threads. It would be a lot better if they were, I know, but I'm afraid it's just way too much work to make them all into hyperlinks. If anyone knows of any way to automate the process, I'd love to know .

As a matter of interest, as of this moment we have 177 files available for download. That corresponds to at least double that number of individual books, because many of the uploads are anthologies and omnibus volumes, containing several books.

I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to the Book Upload area. It's really "taking off" now, with lots of people contributing, and there's lots of great stuff there. My only problem now is that I don't have nearly enough time to read all the books that I now want to .

Anyway, I hope that people find this "index" a useful facility.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I just tried something that works like a charm. If you see a book you like here. Just use the "search' Function on the blue toolbar at the top of the page and type in the book you want. It will give you a link to that page to download the book.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Sorry - the items in this index are not hyperlinks to the appropriate threads. It would be a lot better if they were, I know, but I'm afraid it's just way too much work to make them all into hyperlinks. If anyone knows of any way to automate the process, I'd love to know .
We could definitely automate the process! We could pull the information from the database and refresh it every e.g. sixty minutes. For it to work, it would be even the more important to stick to our predefined title-scheme, i.e.

Author Lastname, Firstname: Book-Title(Version) Date-Added.

All titles that would not follow the scheme would be ignored in the automated index.

How does this sound?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sounds wonderful if it could be done!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We'll work on it today.
Advert
Old 05-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
We should all know by now that Alex can do anything! And he clearly never sleeps, either!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

He's a star!

Any thread titles which don't follow the naming convention are easy enough to change, so that's not a problem. I know that the vast majority of them are fine.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:42 AM   #8
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Sweet idea about the indexing Harry, saves curious people from having to do too much rooting around.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm happy to manually maintain the index until Alex is able to come up with an automated system. The hard work was creating the original index. Adding new stuff to it is no effort at all.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:00 AM   #10
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
Sweet idea about the indexing Harry, saves curious people from having to do too much rooting around.
Acknowledging the wink from Azayzel, it really is a great idea. The library of great reader editions available is exploding exponentially and if someone doesn't visit the uploaded books portion of this forum everyday it can seem daunting to try to keep up with it.

With Harry T's index and with Alex's automation of the addition of new entries, any of us can quickly and easily ensure that we haven't missed books we were hoping for.

I understand Azaysel's point about people rooting around, because much great reading material can be discovered by serendipity, but I also value my time and appreciate the index as a means of easily keeping up to date with the wonderful new offerings.

Thanks for getting things started, Harry T!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

OK, we hacked a bit of a code and this is the first result:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php

Any comments are welcomed of course. Our ultimate goal would be to separate authors from book titles, but right now it's virtually impossible -- unless we make the rules for titles even more stringent. Right now there are simply too many possible variations to allow for a foolproof separate indexing of authors + book titles.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
OK, we hacked a bit of a code and this is the first result:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php

Any comments are welcomed of course. Our ultimate goal would be to separate authors from book titles, but right now it's virtually impossible -- unless we keep make the rules for titles even more stringent. Right now there are simply too many possible variations to allow for a foolproof automated separate indexing of authors + book titles.
Very nice! Well done!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #13
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I agree with JSWolf! It's also cool that you can click on the column titles to sort according to different criteria.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
I agree with JSWolf! It's also cool that you can click on the column titles to sort according to different criteria.
Yup. You can also search for a title/author.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And I like the links to the threads as well. Very helpful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote