Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 02:21 AM   #1
TSquared
TSquared began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
How to make Adobe Digital Editions on WINE recognize reader?

I just got a PRS-650, and have been happily loading free Google e-books on it, but the primary reason I got the reader was to use it with library books. Trouble is, I use Ubuntu and I'm having no luck getting this to work.

I successfully installed Adobe Digital Editions on Wine, and successfully checked out a book from my library, which I can read in ADE. (thank you to those who gave clear directions on how to do this on this forum)

My computer recognizes the Sony as a USB mass storage device, and Calibre recognizes it and will transfer stuff to it.

ADE on Wine never recognized/detected my reader so I tried some other steps.

I installed the Sony Reader software on my Mac laptop at work, as well as ADE, signed up for both an Adobe account and a Reader account, authorized the reader with the Sony Reader store, but failed to get ADE to recognize the device.

I booted an old laptop at home to Windows XP, installed the Sony Reader software and ADE, and got ADE there to recognize my reader (though it never asked me to authorize it - do I need to do something to force it to?).

I then brought my reader back to my Linux machine, but ADE still stubbornly refuses to detect it.

I've tried a few times to just copy the epub file from my computer's "My Digital Editions" folder to the reader's "My Digital Editions" folder, but when I try to read it, it says it's protected. I've also tried using Calibre to load the epub onto the device, and got the same result.

I'm at my wit's end now, because booting the old laptop to Windows every time I want to manage DRM books is a very non-ideal way to handle things. Other people on this forum seem to have gotten their readers to work with ADE on Linux. Is there something else I need to do to make this work? I love the reader but if I can't get this to work, I may need to find an alternative.
TSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You need to have Sony Reader Library installed for ADE to see the reader on Windows platforms (including Wine).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
TSquared

Hmm. So I downloaded the Sony Reader software for Windows from the Sony site (when I hook it up to Ubuntu, it doesn't mount the SETTINGS directory anymore so I couldn't get at the software on the reader). I installed it under Wine. It's there. I try opening it. The process starts but nothing actually appears on my screen (though it does freeze up whatever I have open). ADE still doesn't see the reader, Calibre *does*...Out of desperation, I tried doing "Add Files" in Calibre to get the epub from the ADE directory and put it on the device again, but I get that "Protected by Digital Rights Management" again when I go to open the book on my reader...

Has anyone had luck getting the Sony Reader software to run on Wine?
Old 11-13-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
woodfrog
woodfrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
I just tried the same thing. ADE seems to work flawlessly with wine:
winehq.org

But the Sony Reader Software crashes on startup.
woodfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, TSquared. Perhaps the people on this other thread below may be able to help you. They seem to be having a similar discussion. At least one person on that thread reports success at using WINE + ADE on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=650+linux

By the way, ADE for Mac does not recognize the Sony ereaders. That's why ADE on your work laptop wouldn't see it. On the Mac, you have to use the Sony Reader Library software to transfer files. It's not like a Windows PC where you can use ADE to transfer files to your ereader.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
gillmt
gillmt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS- 350
I had the same bother - I had to install Sony Reader software and ADE on my partner's XP machine - nothing happened until I tried to download a book from the library - I couldn't work out how to "Authorise" my reader.

The library book downloaded into the reader software, then I imported the book into ADE and finally dragged the book from ADE on to the reader icon on the left side of the pane and the book is now on my reader.

I have yet to test whether the authorised reader will be OK if I drag and drop a book from ADE installed on my Ubuntu PC into the reader using the file browser...

Last edited by gillmt; 11-13-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: trying to be more helpful
gillmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
TSquared

Bookwork_Girl, thanks for the tip, I just tried posting my question in that topic as well.

gillmt - slightly confused, did you drag and drop the library book into your reader from ADE on the Windows machine, or from ADE on your Ubuntu?

Are you saying I need to download a library book onto the Windows machine and put it onto my reader for ADE to ask me to authorize the machine? Otherwise it just shows the reader and its contents...

Too bad my bf took the Windows machine with him when he went away for the weekend, can't experiment further!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
OK, since you have managed to download and get the ADE to open the file, you might just find it easier to remove the DRM from the file so you can get it on your reader. Can't tell you hear on the forums exactly how to do it, but you can visit apprentice alf's page to find out how much easier it is to just strip the DRM instead of trying to get every stupid piece of software to work properly together. As always, your own ethics apply:

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/...epub-ineptpdf/
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
gillmt
gillmt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS- 350
Hi - sorry for the confusion! I thought that if I managed to get my reader authorised using a windows machine, I would just be able to drag and drop in a file browser or from ADE onto the Sony file browser - but this did not work as the Sony software seems to be necessary and this will not install on my Ubuntu.

This means keeping friendly with a Windows user to get my library books...
gillmt is offline   Reply With Quote