Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #31
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Darn, I was hoping they'd stop producing their own eInk readers, too.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Best Headline I've seen:

"Barnes & Noble's Nook Business Sees Fifty Shades of Red"

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-shades-of-red
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Best Headline I've seen:

"Barnes & Noble's Nook Business Sees Fifty Shades of Red"

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-shades-of-red
The intro is pretty good, too:

Quote:
Barnes & Noble (BKS)‘s products with power buttons and virtual pages have turned into horror stories.
This part caught my eye:

Quote:
In terms of selling digital content, B&N executives said on a conference call this morning, those simple e-readers move a lot more product than flashier tablets.
Like, duh!
Who buys eink readers? Heavy readers.
It took them this long to figure out that eink readers will bring in more revenue per customer?

And then there is this:

Quote:
But as Kindle extends its gains, Barnes & Noble may also be losing market share to newcomer Kobo, a Toronto unit of Tokyo-based Rakuten. While Amazon, Apple, and Samsung duke it out for the sophisticated tablet market, Kobo’s sleek, simple e-readers have won rave reviews and a tide of business.
Of course, Kobo has its own nearly-invisible tablet, too, but they don't seem to have committed as much effort (and ca$h) to them.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #34
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have no idea what an 'Android' Experience is as my only other tablets and phones have been Apple, but my Nook now looks like this so using a launcher I have removed most of the reference to the Nook infrastructure, at least on the surface.
I'm curious what launcher that is. I've used a lot of launchers but never saw one that gave you all square icons like that. The Chrome icon has always been round, and Calibre Companion has no white background, just the shape of the image used.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #35
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Don't know if you're aware of this or not, but you can create and name folders to organize your apps.
I'm not aware of it....just caved and bought the HD+, so I'll be looking into how to dual-boot it from an SD card soon.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #36
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I was one of those that bought the HD+ on sale.

It's pretty neat, but I can't see myself reading books on it. PDFs, sure, but I don't think B&N sells the kind I buy/read, I guess those from RPGNow.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:09 AM   #37
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I'm curious what launcher that is. I've used a lot of launchers but never saw one that gave you all square icons like that. The Chrome icon has always been round, and Calibre Companion has no white background, just the shape of the image used.
I use the Nova Launcher, the square icons came when I installed the free DCiconZ theme developed over at XDA, I like it. It's quite steam punk. Mines the first one on the link, the Apex Nova Theme.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=DCiconZ+

Last edited by Josieb1; 06-27-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I was one of those that bought the HD+ on sale.

It's pretty neat, but I can't see myself reading books on it. PDFs, sure, but I don't think B&N sells the kind I buy/read, I guess those from RPGNow.
It's great for streaming videos and reading free magazines from the library.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #39
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I also bought one of the HD+ and promptly installed CM10. It was very easy and I backed up the original HD+ software so if I want to go back to stock I can. I even changed the device name so I could easily download the Nook app from Google Play.

I use this mainly for game play (playing old SNES games on an emulator with a bluetooth controller) and watching videos (I stream them from my Win7 PC and also from my Win8 home server.)

Fortunately I've already downloaded my transferred Fictionwise purchases as the online library has lately been not been very cooperative.

It's not surprising that B&N is in trouble, too bad since they are one of the last of the B&M bookstore chains left in the US.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #40
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
It's great for streaming videos and reading free magazines from the library.
How/where do you get the free magazines?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
How/where do you get the free magazines?
Many libraries, including one of the ones I belong to - King County Library System - offer free magazine downloads through Zinio, with no return dates. Essentially, I'm getting free subscriptions to top magazines.

Currently, there are 197 titles available.

Edit: I just checked, and Orange County Library System offers downloads from Zinio also.

Here's a list of available titles.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 06-27-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Many libraries, including one of the ones I belong to - King County Library System - offer free magazine downloads through Zinio, with no return dates. Essentially, I'm getting free subscriptions to top magazines.

Currently, there are 197 titles available.
I just checked my local library and see they offer this now too.

When I checked out a couple of magazines (looks like the only have the current issue for a given mag?) they were added to my Zinio library. Are you saying they'll just stay there alongside any purchased or freebie magazines?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I just checked my local library and see they offer this now too.

When I checked out a couple of magazines (looks like the only have the current issue for a given mag?) they were added to my Zinio library. Are you saying they'll just stay there alongside any purchased or freebie magazines?
Exactly! I have old issues from the library in my Zinio cloud and can download them at will or send them back to the cloud. Just make sure you always check out the current issue if you wish to have all issues moving forward.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Exactly! I have old issues from the library in my Zinio cloud and can download them at will or send them back to the cloud. Just make sure you always check out the current issue if you wish to have all issues moving forward.
Very interesting, thanks for the info on this.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #45
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Mine (32 GB HD+) arrived by afternoon post yesterday, I have to say I'm very impressed with the build quality; very solid without being too heavy.

After going through a firmware upgrade and a software upgrade, Google Play store popped up. I first loaded Nova Launcher (free version), then Kindle for Android, then my current book.

All I can say is WOW, just wow! That hi res 9" screen is just beautiful!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote