Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Removing periods from author names

I've gone through all the posts I could find about it here, but I'm not having any luck doing this.

When adding a book to Calibre, I'd like Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling for instance to be shown as:
Title: Casual Vacancy
Author: J K Rowling

I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that the place to do this is in Adding Books in the Regular Expression box. What's there right now is:
(?P<title>.+) - (?P<author>[^_]+)

What I could also live with, and might even be preferable, is when sending a book to my device that it drops the periods, but trying to set that in a metadata plugboard hasn't been working for me either. I found a thread that said to use {authors:re(\.,)} in the plugboard template, but it keeps showing as J. K. Rowling.

Help! I fail miserably at regular expressions for this stuff and usually have to look up my reference notes everytime I use them, but in this case, I just can't get either method to work.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
The Quality Check plugin will do what you want.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tried that and it works fine to correct existing titles, but you have to manually run it after adding the books and searching for what you need to change.

I was hoping for a way to have the book added correctly without the need to do yet another step afterwards.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

So is there no way to set Calibre to do this on adding books? I'd probably keep doing them manually as I add them rather than add them, then have the next step of running the Quality Check plugin if that's the case, but I really thought I had read other examples where changing around the authors' names was possible.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
So is there no way to set Calibre to do this on adding books? I'd probably keep doing them manually as I add them rather than add them, then have the next step of running the Quality Check plugin if that's the case, but I really thought I had read other examples where changing around the authors' names was possible.
The import regex is for a single field.
What you are wanting to do, on the fly, is tear a field apart and reconstruct.

Since, imported author name already are a mixed bag, you probably will be fixing some anyway
I put periods and space BACK. Now you see, there is no standard.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I recently made the switch since on the Sony reader, the names are then listed as Rowling, J. K_ and it just bugs me everytime I see names that way.

Thanks for the complete answer. I often ask for the impossible I guess!