Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
(Canada) Which is faster, pre-order or going down to the store to get a Glo Oct. 1st?

I got my first e-reader (Kobo Vox) for Christmas last year, so I haven't been following the industry during a launch in the past. If I want it day 1, which in the past has been faster, pre-ordering online through Chapters/Indigo (which offer free shipping too), or going down to the nearest Coles/Smithbooks/Chapters/Indo on launch day?

I'm eager to get my first e-ink e-reader, and the Glo seems like a no-brainer. Thanks for all responses from Kobo veterans!
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
For the Touch release it was better to pick it up the day of release (or more precisely the day before the official release was when Chapters starting selling even though my local Coles wouldn't - which meant I had to drive 45 mins to get it :-( ). Some cancelled their pre-orders and went and bought because it was faster. No guarantees that pre-orders won't ship early this time though, so pick your choice and hope for the best.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Buy at the store!!!! The pre-orders were DISASTROUS last year for the Vox (I could tell soooo many stories about how badly it was all handled and how system limitations that they have make preordering a risky thing).

Whatever the case, if you have access to the store, USE IT. It will make it easier if you have problems with the device, too.

Also heard that the Glo has an even more fragile screen than the regular eink models, which could make shipping an effiin headache.

They will also likely be selling at future shop and best buy again this year, so plenty of inventory to go around....

Good luck! I may be in line with you!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
After ordering a Vox on preorder from Kobo and the disaster that was. I say to go to the store and buy it. I won't be in line this time around as I got a KT in November and really shouldn't be looking for another. But man now that I saw the video it looks cool. BTW, I ended up selling my Vox on kijiji, I hated the backlight reading tablet, bought an ipad to use as a tablet and prefer eink. The Glo looks like it might save me constantly changing the batteries in my booklight.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Just be aware that there may be a long, long line at the store with people lining up days in advance to get the latest Kobo's!
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
In Canada, one thing to consider is that Chapters-Indigo will take your device back or do an exchange with no questions asked for the first 30 days. Nice if you happen to get a lemon. I think you only have two weeks if you buy from Kobo. I don't know what the policies are for Best Buy, Future Shop, etc.

I also don't know if you have the option of purchasing the Kobo extended warranty if you buy elsewhere. The Vox sales were a disaster, but I have ordered directly from Kobo with other devices and gotten great and fast shipping.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Just be aware that there may be a long, long line at the store with people lining up days in advance to get the latest Kobo's!
LOL! I think that was a joke.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
LOL! I think that was a joke.
That was my assumption. And yet Kobo is now the #1 brand in Canada in e-readers, so if launch quantities are limited it's possible to have launch day disappointment (which sometimes happens).

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Kobo itself isn't offering pre-orders yet to the best of my knowledge, they're simply directing people to Indigo's website (and Future Shop and Best Buy). If I pre-order online from Indigo, I presume I can do a warranty swap at a local Coles/Smithbooks/Chapters store if there's a problem?
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
If I pre-order online from Indigo, I presume I can do a warranty swap at a local Coles/Smithbooks/Chapters store if there's a problem?
That has been my experience with the touch.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post

Also heard that the Glo has an even more fragile screen than the regular eink models, which could make shipping an effiin headache.
!
Out of curiosity - where did you hear this? I know the new Nook with light has some issues but I'm not sure the Kobo is using the same technology and their promo material seems to be trying to differeniate it based on this. I have no idea how sturdy the new one is comparatively which is why I ask.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
I think I'd vote for store too. I had some problems finding a touch (had to go to a couple of stores where I am), but got one in the end. Those "in stock" thingies on the store site can be helpful.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
I got my first e-reader (Kobo Vox) for Christmas last year, so I haven't been following the industry during a launch in the past. If I want it day 1, which in the past has been faster, pre-ordering online through Chapters/Indigo (which offer free shipping too), or going down to the nearest Coles/Smithbooks/Chapters/Indo on launch day?

I'm eager to get my first e-ink e-reader, and the Glo seems like a no-brainer. Thanks for all responses from Kobo veterans!
I know if it were me (and I am pondering a mini for youngest daughter, age 11's birthday), I would want to buy at a store with a good return policy. I am terrible with "returns" when it comes to things I buy mail-order, so being able to use Future Shop's 30 day no questions asked for instance is invaluable to me. So far I've not needed to, but I'm glad it's there!
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Future Shop and Best Buy (Canada) both have 30-day return policies. However - if they are classifying Arc as a tablet, the return limit would be 14 days for it. (Vox is in the eReader section) Plus, Best Buy and Future Shop have a 30-day price match: if you find a lower price - online, instore, advertised - within 30 days you get a refund - extra 10% if it's a different retailer. Last year, bought my Vox the first day, it went on sale 3 or 4 weeks later, got $20 back! Also, Best Buy has frequent flyer kind of card.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Pop down to Kobo HQ and bang on the doors?
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
robko
Wizard

It'll be interesting to see. Best Buy Canada if you go onto the pre-order says they are expecting it at THEIR WAREHOUSE OCT 5!! So you're at least a few days beyond that for shipping (and no store pickup option for the pre-order). Not sure if Chapters will have it in store sooner or not but might be worth waiting to see. My biggest worry is that this looks like a competitive enough device that it's going to disappear off the shelves which is why I'd like to pre-order.

Tags
kobo glo vox e-ink launch