Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Kindle 3 Special Offers opt-in

Apparently those of us without SO's on our Kindle 3's can now opt in and out on demand.

I found this little blurb next to my K3 on manage my devices on Amazon.com:

The Kindle is currently not subscribed to Special Offers.

By subscribing to Special Offers, you will receive the same great Kindle experience, plus Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers that display on your Kindle's home screen and screensaver -- they don't interrupt reading.

You can choose to unsubscribe at any time.

I guess by paying $30 extra for no ads, we have the "luxury" of opting in and out.

Once I get my non-SO KT, I think I'll switch my K3 to the special offers
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yeah! I would have bought a K3SO but I bought my K3 before. This will be nice now we can get in on the deals.

One question though... if I jailbroke my K3 and run a custom screensaver, then opt in... will I have my custom screensaver and ads on the home page?

Edit: I subscribed and my custom screensaver was no longer visible. The good news is I then unsubscribed and my custom screensaver was back. If I could have ads only on the home page I'd be happy.

Last edited by just_jeepin; 11-18-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added info
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Wow, are these deals really worth it?!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
This is great!

Does that mean those with K3SO can now opt out too?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I found my first one actually worth something to me today. They're basically the same stuff that I get with Amazon/LivingSocial, but it still was nice to see on screen.

For those curious, it was a half off special. Spend $15 / get a $30 gift card kind of deal for a local italian restaurant.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Thanks for this thread.

On seeing it, I immediately switched over my K3, purchased before Special Offers was an option.

As for whether it is worth it, the closest to worth it I saw at first glance was "Earn 10 points for every $1 spent on digital downloads for the rest of 2011." This is, in effect, an additional 7 percent discount on any book or MP3 I purchase using the Amazon VISA card, which is what I use for all Amazon purchases. I am a Project Gutenburg/Public Library person when it comes to books, but may use the discount for music.

Are they likely to have a particularly good offer on Black Friday? I'll be checking.

P.S. Are purchases of newspapers and blogs, for the Kindle, considered "digital downloads?"
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I found my first one actually worth something to me today. They're basically the same stuff that I get with Amazon/LivingSocial, but it still was nice to see on screen.

For those curious, it was a half off special. Spend $15 / get a $30 gift card kind of deal for a local italian restaurant.
I don't like the local offers at all. Nothing so far has appealed to me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Are they likely to have a particularly good offer on Black Friday? I'll be checking.
Starting Thanksgiving Day, there'll be daily offers. The current offers are on a 4-day cycle.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Starting Thanksgiving Day, there'll be daily offers. The current offers are on a 4-day cycle.
Yep I am looking forward to that!

There is a buy a humor books for $1 coming up.

You can see upcoming ads at AdMash not the 1 day ones but the normal offers that are upcoming.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I went ahead and subscribed.

This made me chuckle:

Quote:
You can view, print or admire your vouchers at any time by visiting Your Deals.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Can one opt in and out as many times as desired?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:32 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I went ahead and subscribed.

This made me chuckle:
Your deals? Where is that located?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I think those with K3SO you have to pay to disable the ads, then you should be able to opt in or out as often as you want. Remember K3SO people got theirs cheaper, if you could opt out for free then Amazon should pay me to opt in.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Can one opt in and out as many times as desired?
It appears to be the case, provided you either originally purchased a non-supported Kindle, or you've paid the $30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Your deals? Where is that located?
Go to:

Manage Your Kindle

Under "Registered Kindle Reading Apps" there is a section that says: "Your AmazonLocal Deals
You can view, print or admire your vouchers at any time by visiting Your Deals."
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I noticed the new K3 opt-in offer in my Amazon account several days ago. I have a non-SO Kindle Keyboard 3G that's a year old. It has a tiny screen defect and battery issue, so two days ago I requested a replacement device. It will be delivered on Monday.

Since I can keep my original Kindle for up to 30 days before sending it back, I decided to subscribe to special offers on that device. If I like it, I will then activate the offers on my replacement Kindle. So far I haven't seen any exciting offers, but I'm hoping there may be one or two enticing deals within the next month.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote