Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
Xabache
Carbon Reserve
Xabache began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Czech and Russian Letters on .epub

I have been unable to get Czech and Russian Letters to display on the .epub format. The?y Const??tly sho? up a? ??is. The text looks fine in the html source files. Am i missing something? Does this format not cover any eastern languages?

If you know how please help.

-I use Adobe Digital Editions to view my epubs-
Xabache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I am interested in this answer. I use .lrf to display Croatian characters (which often have a haček, just like in Czech), but the new PRS-T1 won't read .lrf from what I've read, and I had been wanting to pick up a red PRS-T1.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Assuming you are using proper encoding (UTF-8), the reading application must use a font with the glyphs available.

Adobe Digital Editions, at least its pre-1.8 versions, use a default font that cannot be changed, and that lacks many glyphs, Cyrillic letters are notoriously missing. You can embed a font with all the needed characters in your ebook to solve this. Other readers allow the user to change the text font, so this is not as big a problem.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Xabache
Carbon Reserve

upgrading... that wasnt part of the deal...

I am using ADE 1.7.1, their website says 1.7.2 is available now. It only mentions 1.8 as a preview, *downloads* which requires a net frame work noose to function, and that i must saddle my free and easy win xp with sp1's 200mb of superfluous backdoors, i mean "security updates" of course. for them.

kobo 1.9 and nook 2.5.3 do not offer the ability to change fonts. are there other viewers you know do this?

If you have the ability to view these files (see attached), please tell me, are they're que?ti?n mar?ed wor?s on these.
Attached Files
File Type: epub CSFE002s.epub (63.2 KB, 277 views)
File Type: epub RUFE002s.epub (67.6 KB, 272 views)

Last edited by Xabache; 10-09-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What you unfortunately usually must do, is include a font in the ePUB with the characters and make sure that font is used. That also works with older versions of ADE.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabache View Post
kobo 1.9 and nook 2.5.3 do not offer the ability to change fonts. are there other viewers you know do this?
All the Bookeen ones (Gen3, Opus, Orizon) let you upload and choose your own default font. Unfortunately they seem to have some memory limitation, so you can't actually use large Unicode fonts like Arial Unicode or Code 2000. In addition, the latest Orizon firmware apparently uses the equivalent to ADE 1.8, which has hyphenation support and better default font coverage.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
Xabache
Carbon Reserve

so were my files viewable in any of those?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:08 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Assuming you are using proper encoding (UTF-8), the reading application must use a font with the glyphs available.

Adobe Digital Editions, at least its pre-1.8 versions, use a default font that cannot be changed, and that lacks many glyphs, Cyrillic letters are notoriously missing. You can embed a font with all the needed characters in your ebook to solve this. Other readers allow the user to change the text font, so this is not as big a problem.
The T1 allows font changing. So maybe one of the other fonts has the characters needed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
LostSock
Enthusiast
LostSock began at the beginning.

Device: none
How would you get iBooks to render it? I'm having the same problem, only with Vietnamese characters. Unfortunately, I can't embed a font with iBooks.
LostSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I think I have good news

Here's the screen photos of Cybook Opus and Amazon Kindle. I converted the epub to mobi via calibre. It works. I didn't add any extra fonts with special characters prior to this, just copied epub to Opus without any fiddling and just changed to mobi for kindle. I hope it helps. I did my homework well when I was out to buy ereaders for my tribal language full of those funny letters. Apologies for not good quality of pictures but in this case it doesn't matter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	77670   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	77671   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	77672   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	77673  
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
LostSock
Enthusiast
LostSock began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Here's the screen photos of Cybook Opus and Amazon Kindle. I converted the epub to mobi via calibre. It works. I didn't add any extra fonts with special characters prior to this, just copied epub to Opus without any fiddling and just changed to mobi for kindle. I hope it helps. I did my homework well when I was out to buy ereaders for my tribal language full of those funny letters. Apologies for not good quality of pictures but in this case it doesn't matter

Brilliant!

Did you type the letters as normal, or use unicode to display them?
LostSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I didn't type anything nor fiddled with unicode either. I put this on Opus as is (download from MR/copy/paste to Opus) and the same on Kindle via calibre. The only difference maybe that I have times new roman on both ereaders in respective "font" folder. I copied times from the widows system folder. To make the font visible on Kindle I used plugin Kinde Collection (can't remember the exact name now) available here at MR at calibre plugin forum.

Sony does not support the glyphs and a hack is needed. Btw I could read my language on kindle with no problems BEFORE I used the plugin. It is highly possible that plugin is not needed at all to view text correctly. The reason I used the plugin was that I could change the look of font.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
Xabache
Carbon Reserve

Fantastic News Chi Cygni, Thanks for your research!

It seems that while this process is possible, and certainly to be made easier in the future, that, not everyone will understand the solution immediately. So, until ereaders are designed to meet the languages of the world, i see room for someone to write an exhaustive blog, rating software and readers for their language worthiness and ease of use to point consumers in the right direction. there are 6 billion non-english speakers and over 6000 languages waiting for this...

Thanks to everyone else who helped too.

Tags
czech, eastern, epub, letters, russian