Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Books converted to mobi with Calibre

Hey folks, I have a quick question... Why are books converted to Mobi (from ePub) with Calibre much much slower (as regards page-turns but more annoyingly, the dictionary) than Kindle eBooks or Mobi eBooks (e.g. some Oxford Dictionaries I have)?
I find it a bit tedious to always have to wait five to ten seconds for the dictionary to show an entry (different from said books where lookup is almost instantaneous)... And this is not limited to extra dictionaries I have but also to the factory-installed Oxford American and English Dictionaries (again, this whole affair is only restricted to books loaded on the device with Calibre)...
Firmware is the latest 3.1 version... Jailbreak and Screensaver hack are installed, but once again, this only happens with books from Calibre...
Anyone have any conversion tips? I'd be very thankful and delighted!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I routinely read books converted to mobi by Calibre and I haven't seen this behavior at all. There's no speed difference on my K3 with 3.1.

You might ask over in the Mobileread Calibre support forum.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool no behavior like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Hey folks, I have a quick question... Why are books converted to Mobi (from ePub) with Calibre much much slower (as regards page-turns but more annoyingly, the dictionary) than Kindle eBooks or Mobi eBooks (e.g. some Oxford Dictionaries I have)?
I find it a bit tedious to always have to wait five to ten seconds for the dictionary to show an entry (different from said books where lookup is almost instantaneous)... And this is not limited to extra dictionaries I have but also to the factory-installed Oxford American and English Dictionaries (again, this whole affair is only restricted to books loaded on the device with Calibre)...
Firmware is the latest 3.1 version... Jailbreak and Screensaver hack are installed, but once again, this only happens with books from Calibre...
Anyone have any conversion tips? I'd be very thankful and delighted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I routinely read books converted to mobi by Calibre and I haven't seen this behavior at all. There's no speed difference on my K3 with 3.1.

You might ask over in the Mobileread Calibre support forum.
i notice no behavior like that either. and i have quite a few that have been converted from epub.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
no problems for me either - certainly not waiting 5 to 10 seconds for page turning or dictionary look-up. Something's gone wonky for you.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok, there might be a misunderstanding... page turning is relatively fast (though not as fast) but the dictionary takes 5 seconds (I just counted again) to show a result, only in Calibre converted books, not in Amazon stuff...
I also tried reconverting, to no avail....
Maybe I'm missing a particular setting, would some of you maybe want to share their settings with me so I can eliminate conversion errors (although I always thought this to be a very straightforward process)... Is it possible that something with the Kindle indexes is wrong... what happens if I delete the whole index folder?

Edit: I just deleted the calibre index and like the first time, it takes forever to rebuild it, it does two thirds in three minutes and then takes an hour to do the rest... That certainly wasn't the case with my previous Sony Readers (not even on first connection, I'm rather impatient and would have noticed)

Last edited by johnnyb; 05-15-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well all of my books are Calibre converted mobi - my entire library. Even the ones that I purchased from Amazon get loaded into calibre and reconverted. The only special settings I use are

set font to 12
set justification to left and then an indent
put a space between each paragraph

My dictionary definitions pop up ... well I've never actually timed it but I'd say within a second or so of the cursor hitting the word.

You say something looks funny with your indexing. I'm not sure how the dictionary itself is indexed or even what dictionary you are using - but maybe that is your problem? The Kindle is having a hard time finding the right word in the dictionary? I'm not sure why your Calibre converted books would be different than your Amazon books in that case though.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
....My dictionary definitions pop up ... well I've never actually timed it but I'd say within a second or so of the cursor hitting the word.
ditto...i randomly picked a book and it was so quick that i doubt if i could have timed it, but was in the close neighborhood of 1 second.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
ditto...i randomly picked a book and it was so quick that i doubt if i could have timed it, but was in the close neighborhood of 1 second.
--
Alan
That matches a test that I just did, roughly one second delay for the lookup.

I have a K3/WiFi firmware v3.1. The books tested were one short story converted in Calibre v0.8.0 from an HTML source file and the other is a very large book (The Complete Celebrated Crimes by Dumas) converted from an ePub some time last year with Calbre v0.7.??.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

well, still nothing new, have tried everything dont know what to do (maybe convert to html and send via email, does Amazon allow html?)
Old 05-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
This may have something to do with the number of books on the device -- which does slow down significantly when doing searches (or even simply calling up the Home page) once you start bogging it down with a huge number of books.

Although the specs say it can handle around 3,000 books, in my own experience with about half that number on mine, it can take up to half a minute to get to the Home page after waking up the device. Complex searches are positively painful.

Even though Amazon says it can handle 3GB of books or around 3,000, my experience shows this would pretty much grind it to a halt!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #11
robins777
Enthusiast
robins777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3-- Archos 5 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
This may have something to do with the number of books on the device -- which does slow down significantly when doing searches (or even simply calling up the Home page) once you start bogging it down with a huge number of books.

Although the specs say it can handle around 3,000 books, in my own experience with about half that number on mine, it can take up to half a minute to get to the Home page after waking up the device. Complex searches are positively painful.

Even though Amazon says it can handle 3GB of books or around 3,000, my experience shows this would pretty much grind it to a halt!
I have found exactly the same thing mine also take about 30 second when I call up the home page and in total about 1 minute or more to move a book to a specific collection. I have just over 1000 books on mine and because the slow speed of doing anything other than reading a book I am seriously thinking of taking most of them off and only leave a hundred or so on it.
robins777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
My converted books have no problems either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Well all of my books are Calibre converted mobi - my entire library. Even the ones that I purchased from Amazon get loaded into calibre and reconverted. The only special settings I use are

set font to 12
set justification to left and then an indent
put a space between each paragraph
As to the quote above, are your Amazon purchased DRM'd books converted? Can you elaborate on this please?
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
jukin
Connoisseur
jukin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robins777 View Post
I have found exactly the same thing mine also take about 30 second when I call up the home page and in total about 1 minute or more to move a book to a specific collection. I have just over 1000 books on mine and because the slow speed of doing anything other than reading a book I am seriously thinking of taking most of them off and only leave a hundred or so on it.
I had around 1100 books on my K2 and now have around 700. When I had 1100, every one was part of a collection and the Kindle was as slow as molasses. I read somewhere that collections were the problem and so deleted most of them, just kept a few. The speed difference was very noticeable, it was like a new Kindle!

I would really consider removing some of your collections if speed has become an issue. I do think it's the number and size of collections that affects speed much more than the number of books on your Kindle.
jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
jukin
Connoisseur
jukin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
My converted books have no problems either.

As to the quote above, are your Amazon purchased DRM'd books converted? Can you elaborate on this please?
I was wondering about that too as I've had no success converting mine.
jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukin View Post
I was wondering about that too as I've had no success converting mine.
The proper plug-in for Calibre will do it, look in the usual places (probably included in the tools download file - read the readme files). Good luck
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote