Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhites 2013 and 2015, Nook Glowlight, iPhone, etc.
Thumbs down Enough. PLEASE simple instructions for how to add books to collections via Calibre

All right. KCM is dead. Kindelabra has no usable unzip/install/how to use instructions.

Finally realized that the originator of the below thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...calibre+plugin

on use of Calibre plugin intended for reader to intuit that if one pressed "show" next to "Spoiler" on first page of thread one got a set of hidden instructions.

I'm sorry but use of the word "spoiler" IN NO WAY clues someone into hidden instructions. I'll assume that this was done because there is some coding problem that means that to hide instructions the WORD "spoilers" must somehow be used instead of say ... INSTRUCTIONS as the ONLY way to not kluge up the thread with a long list of instructions but instead allow cherrypicking.

If so, then may I suggest editing the original post so as to SAY that clicking on 'show' next to 'spoiler' would provide the instructions?

Having found these however I'm afraid more problems ensue.

My original collections with hundreds of books were created using KCM. While many of the books were turned from pdf or lit into mobi via Calibre I promptly deleted them from Calibre library and many were not made via Calibre.

So right from the start, the FIRST instruction is "wait for the Kindle to fully connect (checkmarks against your books on the device will show up)."

I assume??? this means that WITHIN CALIBRE checkmarks will appear in a list CALIBRE has of your books. KINDLE just shows "IF you want to read..."

So my not hving books in Calibre right way makes this useless?

If not, how do I now get these books "into Calibre"?

Last edited by allisondbl; 03-23-2011 at 08:07 PM.
allisondbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Have you tried plugging your Kindle in while Calibre is running?

It will (at least mine does) auto-detect it. There will be a new column appear in your books collection. You can click on whichever books you want to put onto your kindle and press the button at the top of the screen 'send to device' and they will be sent across. PDFs and mobi books will stay in their original format, epubs, and other format books will ask if you want to change the format before sending them across (say yes).

Job done and dusted.

Whenever you plug your Kindle in after this Calibre will bring up the column with 'on device' information and you can choose more books to put on (or remove) from the kindle.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Add collections to Calibre?

Thanks for the answer! Lets see if any of this will help but I still need some help!

"Have you tried plugging your Kindle in while Calibre is running?"

Do you mean plugging Kindle in AFTER Calibre is running or not starting Calibre UNTIL Kindle is already plugged in?

"It will (at least mine does) auto-detect it." i.e. Calibre detects Kindle?

"There will be a new column appear in your books collection."

Sorry in WHAT 'books collection' on what? Is there screen in Calibre called books collection? Didn't see it.

I get how the below will get books on to Kindle assuming I want to let ONLY calibre put books on Kindle but this doesn't help me put a new book into a single collection.

MORE IMPORTANTLY this doesn't help with loading a couple hundred new books into several collections without having to do several clicks for EACH BOOK to find and figure out what collection I want it in.

Nor is it clear how I retain collections nor add to new collections!!!!

Help?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
You need to get your books into the calibre database. To do so:

1. Start calibre

2. Connect your Kindle to USB

3. calibre will add a [Device] button to calibre toolbar

4. Click the dropdown arrow on that button

5. Select [Show Books on Main Memory of the Device]

A list of your Kindle's books will appear

6. Select them all - in calibre

7. Right-click and select [Add books to Library]

It will do so, and now you will have a copy of all your Kindle books in your calibre database, even when Kindle isn't connected.

From there, you can follow the instructions to use the collections plug in.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
And while this does not answer your direct question, it is another way to create Collections of books on your kindle:

http://www.accwebworks.com/kindle.aspx

I've used it without problems.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
I fail to see why this is even in the Kindle thread.

Regardless of how angry/confused or computer illterate you may be this should be in the Calibre thread.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
I fail to see why this is even in the Kindle thread.

Regardless of how angry/confused or computer illterate you may be this should be in the Calibre thread.
Moderator Notice
Just for information, in case someone's wondering what you're talking about above, I'd note that we have now moved this thread from the Kindle forum to the Calibre/Plugins sub-forum.

Carry on.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 03-24-2011 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Edited multiple times for my disastrous spelling and grammar
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
If the answer from Piper isn't what you were looking for have to be more specific in what you want to do.
Do you want to
1. Get books from your Kindle to a Calibre library?
2. Move book from another library/collection (call it what you like, books stored on your computer) to a Calibre library?

Piper answered number 1

For number 2 you can use "add books" (top left). Navigate to the folder(s) where your books are stored and tell Calibre to import them to the Calibre Library. From there on the collections plugin can be used.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Since others have been nice enough to provide you another set of instructions to help you create collections I'll touch on some of your other points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisondbl View Post
on use of Calibre plugin intended for reader to intuit that if one pressed "show" next to "Spoiler" on first page of thread one got a set of hidden instructions.
I'm glad you figured out that if you clicked the "Show" button under obvious headers describing what the section is about that you would see instructions. I guess you did intuit the nature of these buttons.

Well Done!

Quote:
I'm sorry but use of the word "spoiler" IN NO WAY clues someone into hidden instructions.
The use of "Spoiler" is a internet standard that has been built into forum software since shortly after internet forums began. Usually used to alert the user that if they click the button then key info will be shown that might spoil their enjoyment of the Movie, TV show, Broadway Play, Novel, etc... being discussed and to proceed at their own risk.

Quote:
I'll assume that this was done because there is some coding problem that means that to hide instructions the WORD "spoilers" must somehow be used instead of say ... INSTRUCTIONS as the ONLY way to not kluge up the thread with a long list of instructions but instead allow cherrypicking.
You are correct, except it isn't a problem, it's a feature.

Since the spoiler feature is built in to every forum software that exists it is often used for other things as needed. In this case it is being used to present a clean post allowing folks to go to the section they require without getting swamped by a giant post.

Using Spoiler tags (the button in advanced editing of the eye with a red X over it) is considered polite and good practice in creating such a post.

Quote:
If so, then may I suggest editing the original post so as to SAY that clicking on 'show' next to 'spoiler' would provide the instructions?
Editing the word Spoiler isn't possible. It might be able to be made clearer with a better initial description, but honestly this is something one intuits shortly after being exposed to internet forums.

Quote:
So my not having books in Calibre right way makes this useless?
I don't know what the "right way" refers to, but calibre is a ebook management tool and if you want to use all of its features you need to have your books in the library.

Good Luck.

Update: Kudos to meme for a great plugin and a great first post guiding folks through the instructions needed to install and use ihe plugin.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-24-2011 at 08:01 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
Thanks Allisondbl for asking the questions, as it isnt simple to integrate Calibre and my new Kindle. I dont think either of us are computer illiterate though opinions may vary
I might not have noticed Meme's walkthrough otherwise, and it will be very useful in adapting my large epub library to use in the kindle.

Thanks meme for your great intro - I have just added several non DRM PDFs to my kindle and they are labelled by collection.

Last edited by Patricia1066; 03-25-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: updated once I tried out meme's instructions
Patricia1066 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #11
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Sorry, I'm not sure - I haven't had to do so myself, but I came across this today:
http://www.colegate.net/KindleCollec...r/default.aspx

It should be much quicker to organise your collections at any-rate. Good-luck!
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Missed this before

@allisondbl - thanks for giving the plugin a try.

I can appreciate that spoiler isn't the best word for the text, but I'm glad you worked it out. I did add a note to the first post now just in case...

You do not need to keep your books in Calibre to use this plugin. That is how the plugin was originally meant to be used and I would highly recommend it as the best approach. However, I did add the ability to edit the collections directly on the Kindle in order to manually edit a few collections that weren't managed by Calibre. This appears to be getting a bit more popular with people who aren't using Calibre to organize all their books but just using it for conversion, etc. Its not the most fully featured editor, but it works. I've updated the first post to hopefully make the 2 approaches a little clearer.

If you ever have any questions about the plugin, you can post into the Plugin's thread where I'm more likely to see it.

@dwanthy, @patricia1066 - thanks for your thanks
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:05 AM   #13
allisondbl
Connoisseur

Thanks, but the whole reason I am trying to use calibre ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
And while this does not answer your direct question, it is another way to create Collections of books on your kindle:

http://www.accwebworks.com/kindle.aspx

I've used it without problems.
is that this wonderful program NO LONGER WORKS after the update Kindle forced on us!!

So I am trying to figure out a simple way to simply shoehorn additional books into collections I previously created on my Kindle without having to add each and every book "manually" via the five way on the Kindle. Too much to add hundreds of books. Particularly as my new Kindle for some reason no matter HOW I have things sorted using the collections sorter at the top of Kindle's home page no longer puts the last collection opened at the top meaning that even if I"m adding dozens of books to the same collection, if it chooses to have that collection on the third page then I hve to add MORE clicks to get to that collection book, after book, after book. And yes I made sure to not only OPEN that cvollection but open a book in it to try to force it to the first position. No soap.

Umm and to make it clear, a HUGE THANK YOU TO MEME - even though I cannot seem to figure out how to just simply with a click or two add books to existing collections and I am, in fact far from a n00b at computers - both the plugin and the FAQ are HUGE works of love for which I thoroughly provide kudos.

Last edited by allisondbl; 04-12-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:11 AM   #14
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@allisondbl - your question as described I think belongs in the Kindle forum. If you have a question about the Kindle Collections plugin by meme, you should post in this thread. I am sure meme would rather not have discussions about his plugin split across multiple threads, it makes it harder for people looking for answers.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote